Big bucks and windy days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

From your experience, which scenario produces better big buck movement outside of rut?

Calm to 5 mph wind
10%
6 to 14 mph wind
79%
15+ mph wind
11%

Total votes: 80
hcooper84

Re: Big bucks and windy days

Unread postby hcooper84 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:09 am

A decent wind can make it much easier to get closer to bedding. Especially after the leaves fall and you've had a dry spell. I think this could definitely increase your deer sightings. So not necessarily may a deer prefer it more, but it gives the hunter more of an advantage.

greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:11 am

Holy mole, look at Joe.

He really did grow up on the Beast, didn’t he?

C76A653F-F1AC-4B3E-A3B9-D9089FE78421.jpeg

And Dan is back to being that skinny!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by greenhorndave on Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:25 am

I would say my favorite winds are when it’s blowing hard and dies way down right at prime time.

There has to be something said about high wind in hill country. I can see how you could find a protected area and still catch good movement. In a lot of hill country you don’t have as thick of an understory either. Around here it’s all bushes and tall swaying grass and tree limbs. Now imagine being a deer and relying on your sight to catch movement when everything is moving.

I do think anywhere that’s protected can be good. But if it’s semi open ground, I just don’t see how it’s favorable.

Those deer last night were running like they were scared. I rarely see that unless it’s windy. It was almost like they were saying “ok let’s make a break for it!!”
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 am

For the record I’m not saying you can’t shoot deer outside of rut when the wind is blowing hard. I just feel that in my area, my chances of killing go down a considerable amount.

When I shined the ag there were zero deer out there. The night before there was 10.

:think:
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:29 am

I saw multiple bucks including one shooter on their feet two hours before sunset on Saturday. 15-20mph winds and 92 degrees. What one herd does in one area maybe completely different than what another does in another
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:31 am

tbunao wrote:I saw multiple bucks including one shooter on their feet two hours before sunset on Saturday. 15-20mph winds and 92 degrees. What one herd does in one area maybe completely different than what another does in another

Agree.

And from what I’ve seen out west they don’t seem to be bothered as much. Granted, I’m usually out there during rut.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:39 am

I log wind and thermal activity on a spreadsheet (among other stuff) for every buck pic I get on trail cams. Based on my dataset, the average wind speed for all daylight buck pics is 5mph outside of rut dates. The greatest value is 15mph.

Now that said, I have personally observed bucks moving in daylight under higher wind speeds over the years while on stand or just driving around. I would never say I won't hunt winds greater than 15mph for that reason, and I suspect deer in highly pressured areas are more likely to move around on those high wind days because hunting pressure is typically lower.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 am

Great to see Dave in that video too. His memory will live on thanks to the filming.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:53 am

When the forecast is 5-10mph, I call that a kill day. Anything higher than that and weird wind eddies and currents cause a lot unpredictability and definitely gives the advantage to the buck. There are still places to set up where the high wind will hold steady, but they are much more limited in number, and usually aren't lined up with where the deer currently are.

Anything less than 5-10 usually means light and variable, or dead calm, again giving the buck an advantage.

Since the deer are usually in places with lots of transitions (vegetation and/or elevation) that will cause swirling in higher winds, I find the 5-10 mph conditions to allow a consistent flow without all the swirling. This allows freedom to set up in way more locations.

This is based on the conditions I find in northern Wisconsin. Rolling hills and lots of vegetation density changes. Also, it's based on getting in bow range. I suspect guys hunting open prairie areas may like a heavy wind? I suspect guys hunting Appalachian bigwoods don't mind heavy winds?

As far as deer moving more or less based on wind speed I don't really know.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:07 am

greenhorndave wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I like those high wind days. Just gotta find a steep leeward ridge. Even on windward ridges I have gotten big bucks on cam on 15+mph days. I don’t prefer high wind but it can really narrow things down in some locations and make for good hunting. 6-14 would be my preferred wind

Are you saying this because it’s easier to find the places they go to get protection from the wind?

In some areas yes
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:15 am

I saw my top 5 bucks over 150” and many others close to that on VERY windy days with 20+ mph winds when no other deer were moving. A few days were even approaching 40 mph gusts. It’s to the point I will not sit out windy days anymore. Maybe change up my tactic like hunting very low or on the ground. Not sure what it is but bigger bucks seem to move more in strong wind at least where I hunt.

I remember Stanley saying he had very similar experiences. It’s tough to stay positive in ridiculous winds but I promise if your in the right spot it can pay off big time. During the rut it’s especially a no brainer. Not only that it’s just easier to sneak in tighter to bedding. I did that just yesterday but pushed a bit too far and bumped a slob at 10 yards.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:44 pm

Lockdown wrote:For the record I’m not saying you can’t shoot deer outside of rut when the wind is blowing hard. I just feel that in my area, my chances of killing go down a considerable amount.

When I shined the ag there were zero deer out there. The night before there was 10.

:think:

Maybe they were taking advantage and eating acorns as the wind blew them down?

I didnt pick a wind speed as I know from experience in the woods I hunt, the wind speed, direction doesnt matter, they will be on their feet.

Now that said the true big boys tend to skirt and slip in and out of the thick edges during high winds instead of walking just along it in the clear side of the edge.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:26 pm

I've had good luck with windy days outside of rut and during rut. As a matter of fact, some of the biggest deer I've ever seen have been on 15-30mph days. 2 of those early Oct. I'll take 15+ 100 out of 100 times over 0-5.

Ideally, id like a steady 8-12mph.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Outside of the rut-my experience hunting and trailcams combined—-calm-5. Now I hunt it all and I’ve seen some whoppers in very windy days but seing and killing are 2 different things. I will take calm to 5 mph any day . My senses are hightened when I can hear better . I hate having the wind obstruct my hearing , these deer can sneak past when it’s not windy so I’m not a fan of the anything over 6-8 mph but that wasn’t the question lol
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:37 pm

I have good hunts on calm days. If it’s too calm the wind can get a little too variable at times which is obviously problematic, but the deer will be moving.

Last year when I first saw the drop tine I heard him plain as day get out of his bed almost 200 yards away.

Give me some wind so I can access my stand quietly, then let it die down. Perfect.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”