Big bucks and windy days

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

From your experience, which scenario produces better big buck movement outside of rut?

Calm to 5 mph wind
10%
6 to 14 mph wind
79%
15+ mph wind
11%

Total votes: 80
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Big bucks and windy days

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:02 am

I still hunt through thick cover on high wind days. Like slowly pick my way through standing corn and such.

Other than that i don’t recall seeing many deer on high wind days just sitting on stand.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:30 am

I like windy and damp for sneaking in. Had a shooter walk right up to me last year while setting up in those conditions.Bow was on the ground when I first heard him. He ended up busting me
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:04 am

IME, the least wind is the worst. I don’t think mature bucks like moving when they can’t get dialed with the wind but obviously it’s not a complete turn off to them. Here the winds are extremely variable when they’re below 7-8 MPH. Seems they move best when winds stiffen and straighten out. Throw some moisture in the air and your odds are even better. Bucks want as much in their favor traveling as they do bedded. Plus they’re experienced, so they know when people avoid the woods.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:00 am

I like some wind, especially to cover my entrance in. I would say 6-14 MPH is fine, but preferably under 10 MPH when sitting. During rut all bets are off as we all pretty much know.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Sat Sep 25, 2021 2:54 pm

Pretty sure winds were high Wednesday 9/22 in SE WI, 26mph around 3pm and dropped to 15ish until closing. I’m assuming Dan wasn’t bothered by the wind when he slayed the slob!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”