Help!

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Buckharasser150

Re: Help!

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:50 am

Thanks James. Just didn’t know if I should setup farther back or something

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:02 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:Thanks James. Just didn’t know if I should setup farther back or something

75 yards from suspected bedding is ideal this time of year
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:32 am

I like your black and white setup spot with the wind you have.
Also think you have plenty of time
Quiet and planned entry and setup
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:23 am

If the bucks are getting to the field before dark I would just hunt the corner of the field. If not I would sit about exactly where you marked.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:17 am

Too many variables.

I’d start for sure in that SE corner as close to bedding as i dare.

As to the time, no telling. Last year i got to a similar set up as yours and got set up and in the tree at prob 2:59. I say 2:59 as the Buck got up and started coming my way right at 3. I didn’t even have my bow pulled up yet and never was able to. He slid by at 15 yards broadside and would have been dead had i been there at even 2:45. It was 90 that day and i thought for sure they would be moving right at last light but that buck just wanted to prove me wrong.

Just gotta get out and hunt em down and it will either work out or more often the bucks will humble you. All part of the fun.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:13 am

Should I just go to that spot or what kind of sign should I stop and set up on?
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:31 pm

I would never set foot on the upper island and I would hunt the two points on either side of it. The lower island is also of interest. If the woods across the channel was not pressured I would look for crossings coming across it. I there were big tracks Id hunt that channel crossing. If I found those areas paid off I may only hunt it a few times a year targeting those specific spots.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 am

Buckharasser150 wrote:Yeah I suppose. Thing is that I’ve seen 150+ Inch bucks walking the swampy/thick transition(s) in those woods. That lighter colored tree areas is swampy and thick. Yeah idk. Like what you’re saying but I just haven’t seen a buck in 6 years walk that swamp transition. Only occasionally does

I'm late to this thread. So, how did it go?

My only comment was going to be... remember that they are bedding and traveling the way they do because they feel safe. What are the thermals doing? That marker where you wanted to set up looks like there is some sort of draw there, I'd make sure that works to your advantage. If you know they often move early, then set up for the afternoon thermal. If they aren't moving until closer to dark, make sure the setup is for the falling thermal.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Buckharasser150

Unread postby Buckharasser150 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:09 am

Huntress13 wrote:
Buckharasser150 wrote:Yeah I suppose. Thing is that I’ve seen 150+ Inch bucks walking the swampy/thick transition(s) in those woods. That lighter colored tree areas is swampy and thick. Yeah idk. Like what you’re saying but I just haven’t seen a buck in 6 years walk that swamp transition. Only occasionally does

I'm late to this thread. So, how did it go?

My only comment was going to be... remember that they are bedding and traveling the way they do because they feel safe. What are the thermals doing? That marker where you wanted to set up looks like there is some sort of draw there, I'd make sure that works to your advantage. If you know they often move early, then set up for the afternoon thermal. If they aren't moving until closer to dark, make sure the setup is for the falling thermal.

I’m in school but I didn’t see anything.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”