J Hooking Explanation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

J Hooking Explanation

Unread postby RuskiBow » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:24 pm

Hey guys I keep hearing about this J hook that bucks do before they bed or approach a point of interest. I know how guys like to setup on them to catch the buck right in that J Hook but I am having a hard time visualizing it, no matter how much times it’s told to me.

Anyway someone can break it down to me like in a 5 year old? Maybe even post up a drawing? Hah!

Like let’s say there is a buck bed, or a point of interest that a buck is going to. Exactly how will he J hook into it? And where would be a good spot to setup to catch him going into that bed/point of interest?

Thanks in advance!

"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: J Hooking Explanation

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19659-

This is a great thread from the all time best tactical thread, that is your best resource for questions like this.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:37 pm

Didn’t read the thread so forgive me if this is repetitive or completely left field from what others say. I prefer the term circling vs j hook. In my experiences circling is not predictable cause the air currents are different every single day. To get into bow range of a circling buck headed back to bed will screw ya 9 times out of 10 unless he’s very late arriving and thermals kick in. Outside of the rut this doesn’t happen in my woods. Only exception is when u got a bed with hard restrictions. For example….. like bedding in the corner of 2 joining fences. In such a case u know how wide a buck can swing and set up accordingly. Just my .02
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:21 pm

Agree with Boogie it’s not necessarily a j and it can vary based on terrain and topography. But essentially they can cut or circle downwind before going to a bed.

I grunted in a buck that did that exact thing last year but never witnessed it going to a bed as I don’t often hunt specific beds. I do know of areas they certainly will approach the bed by cutting downwind based on trail cam but I also see times they walk directly to the bed
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:05 am

My analogy is meeting up with your girlfriend who is also married at a bar. Driving into the parking lot you will probably circle that parking lot checking for the husband's car .
If he is not there, you let your guard down and go on in.
Ha ha
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:09 am

justdirtyfun wrote:My analogy is meeting up with your girlfriend who is also married at a bar. Driving into the parking lot you will probably circle that parking lot checking for the husband's car .
Ha ha

:lol: got to watch out for those married chicks, they crazy. Lol
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 am

Here is the way I think about it.

Instead of traveling a straight line from one point to the next he is likely to use cover and his ability hear and especially his ability to smell to check out the area he is going before he exposes himself to potential danger.

Smell is his primary sense so I try to draw a parallel between his confidence in his nose and my confidence in what I see.

Mature bucks get that way by moving slow and only moving when they feel secure.

IMO setting up in the right place for a buck to think he has the advantage and being close enough for a shot is the goal but what it takes to accomplish that is going to change with each individual buck and each set up.

If you know which direction he is coming from and what the destination is you are ahead of the game but all his movement is likely to be more systematic than the other deer in the area.

Experience is the best teacher and there is no substitute for time afield.

The guys who are closest to having it figured out have made lots of mistakes and still make some.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:57 am

justdirtyfun wrote:My analogy is meeting up with your girlfriend who is also married at a bar. Driving into the parking lot you will probably circle that parking lot checking for the husband's car .
Ha ha

This explains your handle of “justdirtyfun” :lol: :lol:

Good explanations for the J hook already given. Just to agree with them, it’s tough to hunt. But, it’s important to know. If you are setting up right on the bed in the morning, there is a good chance you will be busted even if he is coming back late from his party night. But if you can set up on the “bottom” of the J hook, you might just have a chance. Or, like boogie mentioned, if there are some obvious obstacles that will prevent/derail his j hook that can work too. For example, when Joe Renst set up on that bed (went in a 3AM or something) he was set on the edge of a finger next to a cornfield. Could the bucks have j hooked in the corn? Definitely, but less likely than if it was just open woods. Joe also entered in through the corn. It was a great hunt, watch that video for anyone who hasn’t seen it.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:01 am

There is not a set way they do it. They can come in multiple ways and do different things. In general they should scent check it some how. There is plenty of debate on the best set placements though.

They can come in from above the bed, pass it up and go back. They can side hill it right to the bed w/o scent checking. Iv even seen them stage and hold up until first light thermals kick in.

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:38 am

The sign should tell you what they like to do. In general they can come in slightly different everyday bc of thermals being different. I have had exp where they do the same thing everyday or I bump them in the same spot multiple times in row.

One factor is what you think they are doing before coming back to bed. Example - they are feeding in a corn field thru most of the night and he hits the local acorn patch before going to bed.

Its up to you to decide proper placement. You can stage hunt your way in starting w the transition area between food and the bed. Backed off enough that if you get busted or hes a no show then you can get out clean. Some guys setup close so they can shoot the bed. I think in steep terrain that is a really good tactic bc they could likely side hill into it. In the hills in can be tough to bank on a specific bed.
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot fellas that makes a lot more sense! Will definitely have to just try and hunt a bed and see if anything hooks into it, regardless if I am successful or not it would be a good learning experience. I’ll get to reading on that thread that was posted. Thanks once again and happy hunting!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”