Hunter 2021

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: Hunter 2021

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:51 am

Morning 7

Went in to a area before daylight their was no bucl sign.
I left walked a pretty long way back to the car.

Setup in a new area about 8.30 .
Just after 9 had two young bucks spike and a six point.
Behind them was a young two year old I think he was a seven point . Big body but small rack for a two year old.

And I left to go get bbq for lunch.
At least I now know that bedding area is young buck bedding. Was still exciting to see them.

Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:24 am

Most probably won't care about this post but we may have some on the beast who like computers.

Got 3 orders this week for work not a big week its hit or miss. One is a water cooling system which will take several hours. Building custom gaming pc most are pretty easy with air cooling taking 1 to 2 hours each.

If they go water cooling its alot more risk ,time.,effort . Beautiful cabling ,case design and what the case they want can hold. Water cooling pcs range 3-6 hours each to build.

I build Mini atx ,Micro atx and atx systems.. I don't do laptops they are a headache.

Parts coming out of china have made it much more difficult.
If im not up to date on current cost I can lose profit margin. Pc cost have definitely gone up since covid mess unfortunately. Power supply and motherboard cost have gone way up. Psu units appear to be evening out which is great still higher then they were in 2018.

Need to try to knock those out and head back upto the woods.

Probably hunt this evening drive back home work a few hours tonight finish in morning get them shipped. And be back hunting tomorrow afternoon.

Trying to balance work and hunting this time of years a challenge. As long as I make enough to hunt im happy lol.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:03 am

In tree this afternoon at wma by the house.
Drove home to finish work this evening..
May work all night and hunt in morning depends if I want sleep lol..

Not many deer or bucks in this wma its had extreme pressure and cwd. Their is probably about 5 deer per square mile in here.. Chickasaw state forest is about 8k acres of hunting land and my cams picked up only two shooters..

We will see what happens on evening 10.

Be a miracle to see any deer either way its a beautiful afternoon.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:47 am

Evening 10

About 6 had two deer come out of buck bedding area and went really low into the thick drainage below me..
Its all scrub down their and I have no idea what they were.

They caught my falling thermal I was about half way up the hill near the acorns. They made no sound and I never would've noticed them if they hadn't started blowing at me.

Very cool to see some deer in Hardeman County.
Jimimacck

Unread postby Jimimacck » Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Evening 10

About 6 had two deer come out of buck bedding area and went really low into the thick drainage below me..

They caught my falling thermal I was about half way up the hill near the acorns. They made no sound and I never would've noticed them if they hadn't started blowing at me.

So I hear and read so much about CWD. Is it really having a huge effect on population and whatnot?
Red

Unread postby Red » Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:36 pm

Are they logging on LBL?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:17 pm

Jimimacck wrote:

So I hear and read so much about CWD. Is it really having a huge effect on population and whatnot?

Tbh I don't think so, cwd may be real but I think they are just creating excuses to wipe out the herds. Not sure if it's govorment or insurance companies or both that have tried to create hunting regulations to fit their agendas.

My state is using the Wisconsin approach to cwd which is kill everything it didn't help Wisconsin and it won't help my state. Einstein said doing the same thing and expecting different results was insanity. Yet each state thinks they are more intelligent then the next. And do the exact same thing that failed in other states :roll:

Chickasaw wma has been pressured heavily for 20 plus years. Liberal doe harvest have pretty much killed the entire herd thats on public. No does = no bucks being born..

I spend thousands of hours in the woods and I've yet to find a deer dead of cwd.
Last edited by Tennhunter3 on Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:18 pm

Red wrote:Are they logging on LBL?

Parts of it.
Red

Unread postby Red » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Thats good to hear, between the extreme tree hugging groups that seem to always have a say there and the recent budget cuts I was expecting any type of logging or habitat improvement to be non existing there
Jimimacck

Unread postby Jimimacck » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:00 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:

Tbh I don't think so, cwd may be real but I think they are just creating excuses to wipe out the herds. Not sure if it's govorment or insurance companies or both that have tried to create hunting regulations to fit their agendas.

My state is using the Wisconsin approach to cwd which is kill everything it didn't help Wisconsin and it won't help my state. Einstein said doing the same thing and expecting different results was insanity. Yet each state thinks they are more intelligent then the next. And do the exact same thing that failed in other states :roll:

Chickasaw wma has been pressured heavily for 20 plus years. Liberal doe harvest have pretty much killed the entire herd thats on public. No does = no bucks being born..

I spend thousands of hours in the woods and I've yet to find a deer dead of cwd.

I'm a middle TN resident and living in Unit L is interesting. I see 4 or 5 deer in my backyard morning and evening everyday. The 3 doe a day bag limit doesn't seem to have a huge effect here despite a lot of hunters. I think the insurance lobby is why we're still a two buck state too
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:22 pm

Jimimacck wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:

I'm a middle TN resident and living in Unit L is interesting. I see 4 or 5 deer in my backyard morning and evening everyday. The 3 doe a day bag limit doesn't seem to have a huge effect here despite a lot of hunters. I think the insurance lobby is why we're still a two buck state too

Middle Tn has a much larger deer herd then whats west of the Tn river. Their was a time I could drive and see 20-100 deer every night.

Not sure if its the doe harvest, blue tongue desiese, cwd , but we have half the population if not lower then we did in the early 2000s. I've been seeing deer almost every night but its been in Benton ,Stewart counties out of the cwd area.

About 2013 we did have a huge outbreak of blue tongue desiese in Benton, Decatur,Perry ,Humphreys counties and its taken several years to build the herd back up. I found alot of dead deer that year. But I'm not finding any dead in cwd areas now.

I'm not sure about east Tn we have several beast over that way. I do think overtime they will say counties further and further east have it. Im not finding these dead cwd deer in my local wmas or seeing any acting strange. And I'm in the heart of where it was first found in Hardeman County. Im really wondering if this cwd is a lie because I'm seeing no evidence of it. Even though I'm in the woods every single day.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:22 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:

Middle Tn has a much larger deer herd then whats west of the Tn river. Their was a time I could drive and see 20-100 deer every night.

Not sure if its the doe harvest, blue tongue desiese, cwd , but we have half the population if not lower then we did in the early 2000s. I've been seeing deer almost every night but its been in Benton ,Stewart counties out of the cwd area.

About 2013 we did have a huge outbreak of blue tongue desiese in Benton, Decatur,Perry ,Humphreys counties and its taken several years to build the herd back up. I found alot of dead deer that year. But I'm not finding any dead in cwd areas now.

I'm not sure about east Tn we have several beast over that way. I do think overtime they will say counties further and further east have it. Im not finding these dead cwd deer in my local wmas or seeing any acting strange. And I'm in the heart of where it was first found in Hardeman County. Im really wondering if this cwd is a lie because I'm seeing no evidence of it. Even though I'm in the woods every single day.

It’s real, but it isn’t happening in epidemic proportions. We may be seeing a population decrease in the CWD counties from the regulation changes geared towards “kill them all so it doesn’t spread” idea, but I have not looked at any harvest data

I did find one dead deer that appeared to be CWD walking a hiking trail at Shelby Farms in Memphis.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:46 pm

Evening 11 no deer seen from a stand tonight.

Had a buck run across road as I was headed to get food.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:56 pm

Burningbootleather wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:
Tennhunter3 wrote:
Jimimacck wrote:

It’s real, but it isn’t happening in epidemic proportions. We may be seeing a population decrease in the CWD counties from the regulation changes geared towards “kill them all so it doesn’t spread” idea, but I have not looked at any harvest data

I did find one dead deer that appeared to be CWD walking a hiking trail at Shelby Farms in Memphis.

Back when I worked construction about 10 years ago it was down past Shelby farms in those neighborhoods behind the hospital. . Saw one of the biggest bucks i ever saw in that field to the right of the highway in Shelby farms had to have been 160 inches one morning on my way to work.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:12 am

Scouting morning 4.

Covered 11 points this morning.

Found 2 areas of doe bedding.
One area of young buck

One area of mature buck bedding.
A few rut beds and scrapes downwind of doe bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”