North East Whitetail Strategies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BigWoodsME6

Re: North East Whitetail Strategies

Unread postby BigWoodsME6 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:04 pm

My mileage can vary quite a bit, just trying to rough convert to imperial and not including any hiking in or out of the area, I think around 5 miles would be on the high side and 1 mile would be at the low end.

A couple factors... if I'm exploring and not so serious about killing a deer the mileage will be more, if I start tracking anything half seriously then the mileage will be more. Some areas I can wander through all day and stay on fresh sign so I might move further in there, other areas where I know I have less good territory I will hunt very slowly. Some places I might link several good pockets where I hunt slowly, but move quickly between them which can add more distance. By the rut however, I do try to spend most of my time hunting promising areas fairly slowly.

A couple other points... I've spooked far more deer trying to travel before first light than I've ever shot as a result of getting an early start, I've also spooked a whole pile of game within a couple hundred yards of my truck on the way back at the end of the day. As a general rule I've come to consider myself actively hunting so long as I am not in my vehicle, so usually I leave at first light and try to be back at last. The main difference between hunting and hiking is how much you use your eyes, so while I do move faster when traveling to and from an area I try never to move faster than I can observe things half decently...

... Just yesterday I had hunted a pocket and was traveling to another down a fairly wide old logging trail that had been shredded, covered in slash, and overgrown... meaning I had to look down to avoid tripping. Since I've already put a half moose and two does in the freezer I've been holding out for a real good buck, after looking down at that miserable trail for just a second when I looked up there he was... halfway across the trail about 80 yards away. I should have yelled at him and stopped him right there, but somehow he hadnt noticed me and I thought I'd have time to check him out through my bino's... unfortunately in just a split second he disappeared behind a clump of willows and started moving directly away from me, I never did get another good look at him. Yet another cruel reminder to keep my eyes up.

This is super interesting and something I've heard before very recently. Not that this is a new concept to anyone who is a a great hunter or maybe even just a good hunter but one of the more successful trackers in New England has said his head is always up, always scanning back and forth as he moves through the woods. He's described this as keeping his head on a swivel and constantly scanning back and forth. It's something I have tried to do as much as possible this season when moving through the woods. I've had a bad habit of looking down for deer sign and not looking up enough for the actual deer. Can't say it's resulted in many deer sightings but I feel more "in the game" at all times when I am scanning everything to my left and right always.

Something I took from one of your previous posts as well that has helped me get on more deer and put my friends and my dad's friends on more deer was the idea of "hard edges". There is a cut that is currently being worked on in one of my favorite large pieces of woods. I was disappointed because I felt this was going to ruin the piece. It's a huge portion of what used to be a fairly unbroken piece that's multiple miles long and about a mile wide before you hit an access road along a pond. What I didn't expect until I started moving around the piece looking for sign was that this new cut creates such a hard edge the deer travel right along it like it's a magnet. I know their browsing for tops but the cut is being chipped potentially for biomass so the browse is very limited. It has not stopped the deer from being drawn right to it and moving along it during daylight. We haven't had any big buck sightings yet but it seems like they should cruise that checking the does up through December.

What I'm discovering this season is it has helped to move constantly until I find some kind of deer sign. Even if I'm traveling an "edge" or "transition line" if there isn't much for tracks, feeding, rubs, scrapes etc. I don't slow down much but I do try to move and look all around keeping my head up as much as possible. I have told myself if you slow down and still hunt or sit at an ambush point you have to have a reason and just, it's an edge or I can see well, isn't a good reason. This raises my confidence level and keeps me engaged, it doesn't always equate to sightings necessarily but it keeps me entertained.

Speaking of binos, how much do you use them throughout the day?

BTw MATexbow and Wolfshead, I like your avatars.

Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:51 pm

BigWoodsME6 wrote:

This is super interesting and something I've heard before very recently. Not that this is a new concept to anyone who is a a great hunter or maybe even just a good hunter but one of the more successful trackers in New England has said his head is always up, always scanning back and forth as he moves through the woods. He's described this as keeping his head on a swivel and constantly scanning back and forth. It's something I have tried to do as much as possible this season when moving through the woods. I've had a bad habit of looking down for deer sign and not looking up enough for the actual deer. Can't say it's resulted in many deer sightings but I feel more "in the game" at all times when I am scanning everything to my left and right always.

Something I took from one of your previous posts as well that has helped me get on more deer and put my friends and my dad's friends on more deer was the idea of "hard edges". There is a cut that is currently being worked on in one of my favorite large pieces of woods. I was disappointed because I felt this was going to ruin the piece. It's a huge portion of what used to be a fairly unbroken piece that's multiple miles long and about a mile wide before you hit an access road along a pond. What I didn't expect until I started moving around the piece looking for sign was that this new cut creates such a hard edge the deer travel right along it like it's a magnet. I know their browsing for tops but the cut is being chipped potentially for biomass so the browse is very limited. It has not stopped the deer from being drawn right to it and moving along it during daylight. We haven't had any big buck sightings yet but it seems like they should cruise that checking the does up through December.

What I'm discovering this season is it has helped to move constantly until I find some kind of deer sign. Even if I'm traveling an "edge" or "transition line" if there isn't much for tracks, feeding, rubs, scrapes etc. I don't slow down much but I do try to move and look all around keeping my head up as much as possible. I have told myself if you slow down and still hunt or sit at an ambush point you have to have a reason and just, it's an edge or I can see well, isn't a good reason. This raises my confidence level and keeps me engaged, it doesn't always equate to sightings necessarily but it keeps me entertained.

Speaking of binos, how much do you use them throughout the day?

BTw MATexbow and Wolfshead, I like your avatars.

Honestly, when you are actually moving is the best time to spot deer, next time you are in the bush keep your eyes up and watch what happens as you move... specifically to the sides. Shooting and visibility lanes open and close constantly, what might be a clear lane will totally close up less than one step further while another opens etc... You want to take full advantage of this effect.

Like I sort of said, figuring out where deer arent likely to travel is nearly as good as figuring out where they will travel. Within the hours of shooting light one can pretty much bet that at least 90% of the deer will travel around a cutblock rather than through it, so you will almost always find some good trail networks around the edges. Hunting even a cutblock full of good browse as if it is a midwestern hay field will generally result in discouragement, treat it like an obstruction. If I'm ever forced to hunt deer in the open, I will generally opt for hunting some relatively minor trail/old logging road type opening that deer will be likely to cross incidentally during their daily travels.

I personally dont use my binoculars a whole lot. Sometimes I think I should use them more, and in some conditions and situations that is probably correct. I spot the majority of my game just by picking up something "off" in my peripheral vision, even at pretty fair distances, and not to brag but I think as a general rule I've become fairly good at it. So until I see something I need to inspect more closely its more important for me to just try to keep my eyes scanning as much area as I can rather than getting too zeroed in on any one spot, I feel that much of the time using the binoculars too much will do me about as much harm as good. One thing using the binoculars will do is slow you down, so if you are having trouble keeping your pace down or find your eyes/ mind slipping into auto pilot, doing more glassing is a pretty good trick to keep yourself in the game and focused.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
ehavs

Unread postby ehavs » Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:06 pm

Exophysical, Can you comment more on what you mean by finding a Ridge and an Edge? I am having a hard time visualizing this. Do you literally just look for the tops of ridges and find a hard edge that intersects at the top? Any pictures of what you typically look for when cyberscouting would be great to see.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:20 pm

ehavs wrote:Exophysical, Can you comment more on what you mean by finding a Ridge and an Edge? I am having a hard time visualizing this. Do you literally just look for the tops of ridges and find a hard edge that intersects at the top? Any pictures of what you typically look for when cyberscouting would be great to see.

Yeah, what you describe is basically it. The ridge and the edge dont have to actually intersect, just exist in relatively close proximity. And I'm not specifically talking about the ridge top, I just want to see a major topographical feature in close proximity to a fairly sizable clearing of some sort. All this is relative, what counts as a major feature, a sizable clearing, and close proximity will vary from area to area. But either way this gives you a starting point with a high likelihood of finding a good area, which is what a bush hunter desperately needs... sure there might be deer all over the entire state forest, but you want to spend your time in areas where you are confident that a large number of deer spend a large amount of their time. Spreading your efforts thin across allot of marginal area will not pay off consistently.

I'll try and post some pics, I'm not super familiar with the cut and paste/ screen shot type stuff but I will do my best to figure something out.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 am

Of course, still hunting/ tracking does have its downsides... namely that the animal gets to pick where it dies. With two guys, a mile of rope, and a jimmy rigged pully system it took about a hour to get this guy through two of these ravines. Yes, I am familliar with the gutless method and yes I should have packed this guy out on my back, I wanted to get it home in one piece however and got a bit stubborn about it.

ImageIMG_5692 (2) by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153108294@N08/, on Flickr
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:16 am

Exophysical wrote:In allot of the places I hunt there are ample amounts of both bedding and browse covering the huge amounts of area, and in my experience unless there is some major topographical barrier you wont really find well worn deer trails. The term "corridor" or "funnel" might be used to describe an area a few hundred yards wide, and game just sort of drifts through it on whatever trail suits their fancy.

I have a theory, or more like a curiosity, that might play out well for bow hunting terrain features in large beach / oak ridges. One of the spots I like to hunt is a corridor like you're describing above, a saddle about 200 yards wide, in a long linear ridge. The south face of the ridge is a mature beach ridge, and on both the north and south sides of the ridge are beaver meadows. The saddle is a great place to find animal movement.

Any time I go in there I can immediately pick out recent movement trails in the thick beech leaf carpet where deer and / or bears have recently moved through. This was the first year I hunted there with a bow instead of a rifle, and it cost me a buck and a black bear.

Point is, you mention they just drift through it at random. But I wonder, do you think deer might remember where they walked through the last time? Might they remember which beech trees they've already checked for nuts on their way through the saddle in the past, and next time pick a different line? If so there might be value for bow hunters in noting which sections of the corridor you've already observed in the past few weeks having been well-traveled, because those would then count almost as "negative terrain".

It's just a theory but I'm going to put it to the test for next season.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:44 am

BigWoodsME6 wrote:I have been reading back through some of your linked posts and posts in this thread because it seems you hunt areas most similar to the ones I hunt when I get into the bigger woods around my area. I have read a lot about still hunting because I like staying on my feet and seeing different country so what you have written about is right up my alley. With that I have not had any success still hunting so far other than the random tail/flag bounding away or hearing some crashing on the other side of a thicket. I'm curious to hear more about how you travel around in the woods and how much mileage you cover in a typical day of still hunting. I'm sure this varies depending on the piece of woods but I'm having trouble figuring out when to move through certain sections and when to slow to a crawl. I'm guessing you have spots in areas picked out and you don't waste any time getting to those particular "hard edges" or terrain types to slow down unless you see something worth slowing down for?

I don't just still-hunt random areas anymore because I now have enough experience in several areas that I can take a moderately educated guess at where deer might be on a given day. Personally when I still-hunt I have two gears. 1) Suspicion confirmation gear (aka "finding the deer"), and 2) Suspicion confirmed gear (aka "hunting the deer"), usually in that order.

An easy example would be a beech ridge that back in July I scouted and saw a lot of nuts growing on the trees. Maybe I also had identified and scouted several small, flatter bench-type areas on that ridge that I feel would be suitable for bedding for does and bucks alike. Fast forward to September 28th, bow season opener. It's a little breezy so I decide I'll still hunt that day.

Suspicion confirmation gear (aka "finding the deer"): At this point I'm just not mentally committed enough yet to slow down and play Rambo. I'm working on a suspicion and until I confirm that suspicion there's not enough payoff potential for me to put that kind of effort into pretending like I'm a panther. I will leave my car and walk as fast as I can while being relatively stealthy and not sweating too much. If there are any terrain funnels around that I think deer would have to use to get in and out of the ridge I'll quickly check them for potentially easy confirmation of animals using the area. If there are no funnels that I know of then I'll just go straight to the beeches and start looking for deer sign. I'm really covering ground quick while I'm doing this, and yes I have spooked deer doing this but that's just how it goes. If I don't find any reason to believe there might be deer there, then clearly slowing down to hunting speed is pointless. As a side note, that would never be the case with loaded beech trees in NY's Adirondacks. If you have beech nuts, there will be deer and bear there. So probably we should pretend like I'm talking a red oak ridge instead.

But sometimes turns out my scouting panned out and I find recent sign of deer, a reason to believe there are deer right here, right now, somewhere nearby. Now my suspicions have been confirmed and it's time to slow way down to hunting speed and move toward those areas that I think might be good bedding. And I don't move toward them quickly, I'm slowed down at this point because bedding in the big woods is so random anyway.

How slow is slow enough? I won't launch into an explanation of how to still-hunt. There are a number of youtube videos that do a good job of demonstrating. But experience will definitely show you how to move when still-hunting close to bedded deer.

Really the point to take away here though is that you could be so stealthy that not a single creature in the woods knew you were there. And know what? That level of stealth does you no good if there isn't a deer within a mile.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:48 am

Ognennyy wrote:
Exophysical wrote:In allot of the places I hunt there are ample amounts of both bedding and browse covering the huge amounts of area, and in my experience unless there is some major topographical barrier you wont really find well worn deer trails. The term "corridor" or "funnel" might be used to describe an area a few hundred yards wide, and game just sort of drifts through it on whatever trail suits their fancy.

I have a theory, or more like a curiosity, that might play out well for bow hunting terrain features in large beach / oak ridges. One of the spots I like to hunt is a corridor like you're describing above, a saddle about 200 yards wide, in a long linear ridge. The south face of the ridge is a mature beach ridge, and on both the north and south sides of the ridge are beaver meadows. The saddle is a great place to find animal movement.

Any time I go in there I can immediately pick out recent movement trails in the thick beech leaf carpet where deer and / or bears have recently moved through. This was the first year I hunted there with a bow instead of a rifle, and it cost me a buck and a black bear.

Point is, you mention they just drift through it at random. But I wonder, do you think deer might remember where they walked through the last time? Might they remember which beech trees they've already checked for nuts on their way through the saddle in the past, and next time pick a different line? If so there might be value for bow hunters in noting which sections of the corridor you've already observed in the past few weeks having been well-traveled, because those would then count almost as "negative terrain".

It's just a theory but I'm going to put it to the test for next season.

In my area, we dont have acorns, nuts, or fruit of any kind. The deer live strictly on browse and grasses. I've always assumed that their choice of a particular trail involves trying to get the best wind coverage for whatever the conditions are. As we've already discussed the winds are so fickle, in most cases one would really have to know their area well to put this to the test or use.

I think you might be on to something with your browse theory though. I've noticed that deer in my area, unlike more nomadic species like moose, will rarely eat a whole bush clean in one shot. If I find an area of even a few yards that is browsed right clean I'm generally inclined to suspect that a moose did it. Deer seem to selectively nip off a few buds here and there as they move around, presumably leaving a supply of food dispursed throughout their home territory for future use. It stands to reason that they might intentionally take different trails from day to day to further help spread out their browsing more evenly.
BigWoodsME6

Unread postby BigWoodsME6 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Ognennyy wrote:
BigWoodsME6 wrote:I have been reading back through some of your linked posts and posts in this thread because it seems you hunt areas most similar to the ones I hunt when I get into the bigger woods around my area. I have read a lot about still hunting because I like staying on my feet and seeing different country so what you have written about is right up my alley. With that I have not had any success still hunting so far other than the random tail/flag bounding away or hearing some crashing on the other side of a thicket. I'm curious to hear more about how you travel around in the woods and how much mileage you cover in a typical day of still hunting. I'm sure this varies depending on the piece of woods but I'm having trouble figuring out when to move through certain sections and when to slow to a crawl. I'm guessing you have spots in areas picked out and you don't waste any time getting to those particular "hard edges" or terrain types to slow down unless you see something worth slowing down for?

I don't just still-hunt random areas anymore because I now have enough experience in several areas that I can take a moderately educated guess at where deer might be on a given day. Personally when I still-hunt I have two gears. 1) Suspicion confirmation gear (aka "finding the deer"), and 2) Suspicion confirmed gear (aka "hunting the deer"), usually in that order.

An easy example would be a beech ridge that back in July I scouted and saw a lot of nuts growing on the trees. Maybe I also had identified and scouted several small, flatter bench-type areas on that ridge that I feel would be suitable for bedding for does and bucks alike. Fast forward to September 28th, bow season opener. It's a little breezy so I decide I'll still hunt that day.

Suspicion confirmation gear (aka "finding the deer"): At this point I'm just not mentally committed enough yet to slow down and play Rambo. I'm working on a suspicion and until I confirm that suspicion there's not enough payoff potential for me to put that kind of effort into pretending like I'm a panther. I will leave my car and walk as fast as I can while being relatively stealthy and not sweating too much. If there are any terrain funnels around that I think deer would have to use to get in and out of the ridge I'll quickly check them for potentially easy confirmation of animals using the area. If there are no funnels that I know of then I'll just go straight to the beeches and start looking for deer sign. I'm really covering ground quick while I'm doing this, and yes I have spooked deer doing this but that's just how it goes. If I don't find any reason to believe there might be deer there, then clearly slowing down to hunting speed is pointless. As a side note, that would never be the case with loaded beech trees in NY's Adirondacks. If you have beech nuts, there will be deer and bear there. So probably we should pretend like I'm talking a red oak ridge instead.

But sometimes turns out my scouting panned out and I find recent sign of deer, a reason to believe there are deer right here, right now, somewhere nearby. Now my suspicions have been confirmed and it's time to slow way down to hunting speed and move toward those areas that I think might be good bedding. And I don't move toward them quickly, I'm slowed down at this point because bedding in the big woods is so random anyway.

How slow is slow enough? I won't launch into an explanation of how to still-hunt. There are a number of youtube videos that do a good job of demonstrating. But experience will definitely show you how to move when still-hunting close to bedded deer.

Really the point to take away here though is that you could be so stealthy that not a single creature in the woods knew you were there. And know what? That level of stealth does you no good if there isn't a deer within a mile.

All of this makes perfect sense to me. The hardest part of hunting the big woods where I have been hunting this fall is finding the likely bedding for the deer. They obviously have plenty of options in big woods settings to lay down. That's not to say that they won't have preferred areas for bedding but I think the bedding theories that are shared here at the beast are a good start. Going to have to try them out more seriously in coming seasons and see what I can find.

Next week it looks like we are getting some snow so I will probably be out that weekend putting some miles on if it doesn't get too deep. Hoping to get some ideas on bedding tendencies or finding some good travel corridors to work through and focus on. Bought a couple more cameras to try out as well.
Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:10 pm

I’ve been out a few times since reading this thread.
What I’ve found, in my area, is that a lot of the “bedding” tactics and scouting apply in terms of finding deer sign.
I’ve used some online scouting to find geographic possibilities for a starting point and then gone and still hunted the area.
Now, found a lot of deer sign and tracks recently in the snow but most tracks made by Doe. It has gotten me in the area, now I have to find where the big boys stay.
I’ve been mostly a stand hunter, in my short hunting time, but I’m really liking this additional approach to hunting and really applies to an area I’ve been wanting to hunt for some time.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:15 am

BigWoodsME6 wrote:
All of this makes perfect sense to me. The hardest part of hunting the big woods where I have been hunting this fall is finding the likely bedding for the deer. They obviously have plenty of options in big woods settings to lay down. That's not to say that they won't have preferred areas for bedding but I think the bedding theories that are shared here at the beast are a good start. Going to have to try them out more seriously in coming seasons and see what I can find.

Next week it looks like we are getting some snow so I will probably be out that weekend putting some miles on if it doesn't get too deep. Hoping to get some ideas on bedding tendencies or finding some good travel corridors to work through and focus on. Bought a couple more cameras to try out as well.

Honestly, I dont know that knowing the bedding areas is actually vital. I hunt some places that I know where they bed, and I know other places that I can guess where they probably bed... but I dont feel that its neccessarily important enough to even bother confirming. If I know an area where there are lots of does, and I know where they are likely to be traveling within that area, I know as much as I need to kill a buck come November, if not before. Big timber hunting is not strictly a first and last light oportunity at any point in the season, secure within their preffered habitat deer will move a bit all day. I've killed the majority of my deer between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, with a large percentage of my best bucks taken right at noon. All the deer I shoot are up and moving, not jumped out of their beds, thus I dont think finding bedding areas is vital.

One thing I've noted is that the deer in many of my areas have a tendency to bed on the sides of drainage ravines, these act like virtual funnels for thermal movement.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:19 am

Wolfshead wrote:I’ve been out a few times since reading this thread.
What I’ve found, in my area, is that a lot of the “bedding” tactics and scouting apply in terms of finding deer sign.
I’ve used some online scouting to find geographic possibilities for a starting point and then gone and still hunted the area.
Now, found a lot of deer sign and tracks recently in the snow but most tracks made by Doe. It has gotten me in the area, now I have to find where the big boys stay.
I’ve been mostly a stand hunter, in my short hunting time, but I’m really liking this additional approach to hunting and really applies to an area I’ve been wanting to hunt for some time.

If you found a concentration of does, then you will have some bucks coming through in November. I personally would explore just enough to get a lay of the land, then go try to find 3 or 4 more areas. Hunt these on a rotation next season, you can flesh out the details of your areas as you hunt, and at some point you're probably going to cross paths with a decent buck.

One of the beautifull things about still hunting is that your scouting does not need to be so precise as with stand hunting. You just need to put yourself in the same general area that good buck is likely to come through, and hopefully you can make your paths cross. I can name countless times I've shot a good buck the first time I've set foot in an area. The buck I killed this year was shot in an area I only ever hunted once, about 4 years ago... I shot a buck that time too. My wife killed a good buck this year on a spot I'd found after going through it only once earlyer in the season. The two biggest bucks I got a crack at this year were in an area I snowshoed only once, at the end of last November.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:02 am

BigWoodsME6 wrote:
Ognennyy wrote:

I feel maybe I owe a little clarity on why I chose to guess at and go to as goals / destinations for my still hunts the bedding areas in and around the beech ridge in my example above. That example I provided was something I actually did earlier this fall. The reality is that the deer were not on that ridge, at least not the part that I went to. The beech nuts I thought I saw growing turned out to be the fake nuts that the trees sometimes produce, like empty husks, and using my binoculars from the ground in July I was fooled. To be fair I didn't even know that beeches drop fake nuts until this year when I was perplexed by the absence of deer and bear sign on that particular hunt.

That was a hunt I went on opening weekend of archery season, September 27. And I'll caveat this with saying that I've never filled my early season bow tag hunting up in the big woods. My strategy has always revolved around getting close to where the deer are bedded because I know at that time of year neither bucks nor the does are moving far from their beds in the daylight. This thread seems to revolve a bit more around gun hunting during the rut so probably I could've chosen a better example than an early season still hunting experience.

Exo I think we're several thousand miles apart but oddly enough I've seen the same thing as you with respect to where I find bedded deer. A few weeks ago I went up to a friend's hunting camp and we hunted this general area in the picture for a few days in a row. We had a few inches of snow so it was very easy to see what the deer were up to. I drew blue lines in to represent streams that for whatever reason didn't show up on the topo map. I found a lot of deer sign, and bedded deer, in the red circles. So both the ones on the left are what you've described, bedding along the sides of the drainage ditch leading up and out of the stream bed. The one up top on the right is just classic bedding on a bench, and I do also commonly find that in the Adirondacks.

I found the bedding on the sides of drainages a very strange one, and I can't understand why the deer do it. The reason I was there and found the sign and beds was because it was easy to still hunt. The stream covers a lot of your noise. In spite of the disadvantage of not being able to hear approaching predators the deer seem to gravitate there. I mean sure there's a thermal advantage but it just seems to me like they're still very vulnerable to a sneaky predator.

I've found that the advice SingingBridge gave me (stop thinking about "primary beds" or specific beds all together and instead think about general areas where deer like to bed down) was spot on. And as several people have pointed out in this thread, it's a big plus for still hunting the big woods.

"Along the sides of ditches leading up out of drainages" is one of those types of areas.
- Another general area is any area of elevation that faces South, or mostly South, on brisk, cold, high pressure blue sky sunny mornings. The deer like hanging out there to warm up in the sun, and man it's amazing how good that sun feels on a cold morning like that.
- As mentioned above benches, or any area that is flatter relative to the surrounding terrain. This seems to not be favored during bad weather.
- Speaking of bad weather and especially late season snow, as certain as death and taxes I find deer in predominantly conifer covered areas when it's snowing. Usually in cold weather in general I find bedding in evergreen areas, but from what I've observed it's better if they're young, thick conifer stands (like spruce) for extreme cold weather. Any evergreens seem to pull deer in during snow, or any major precipitation event in the late season.
- The downwind side of high stem count areas, areas with thicker brush. Bridge mentioned this one for locating bedded bucks. I mentioned earlier I found two buck beds in such an area years ago. Since then I haven't looked for or found any more buck beds, but I have observed does also bedding in areas like this several times since.

I killed a buck a few seasons ago in the second week of November up in the 'Dacks. Technically, this is part of a state forest that borders the Adirondack preserve. It had snowed about 6-8" the day before, and then warmed up a bit the following morning and turned to driving sleet and hail. Knowing there was an isolated patch of conifers located right in a hybrid drainage / saddle / low-lying bench feature, with an old logging cut directly to the East, I decided to go check it out. I approached from the South, immediately caught tracks in and around the conifers, and started still-hunting along them. Figured they would take me straight to deer. Fifteen minutes into that hunt a doe came down from the ridge to the West with a buck in tow. I shot at and missed the buck, but connected on another buck that came through five minutes after that.

I'm not sure where they were coming from. I never did backtrack to verify that, but I do know there is more recent logging further to the West just out of my screenshot. Also you can see in the screenshot there are more conifers over that way. A third mention is that they were coming down off that ridge that rises up out of the drainage in the middle / North of the picture. Obviously logging will draw deer, the conifers will draw them during bad weather, and Exo's pointed out the bedding on the sides of drainages. They were clearly headed to the conifers, or the cut further to the East, but it's a safe bet either way they would've bedded in the conifers eventually. The conifers I did scout before packing my deer out, and did find several beds both in the conifers and also on South (downwind) edge of them.

Red star is where I the first buck and doe came through. I never moved from that spot and killed my buck five minutes later. He was scent trailing the obviously hot doe.
Purple line is deer travel. They came down off the ridge but beyond that is just my guess. Purple line to the East of the kill sight is also a guess beyond where I saw the doe and buck run when I missed my first shot.

Wolfshead
500 Club

Unread postby Wolfshead » Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:53 am

Exophysical wrote:
Wolfshead wrote:I’ve been out a few times since reading this thread.

If you found a concentration of does, then you will have some bucks coming through in November. I personally would explore just enough to get a lay of the land, then go try to find 3 or 4 more areas. Hunt these on a rotation next season, you can flesh out the details of your areas as you hunt, and at some point you're probably going to cross paths with a decent buck.

One of the beautifull things about still hunting is that your scouting does not need to be so precise as with stand hunting. You just need to put yourself in the same general area that good buck is likely to come through, and hopefully you can make your paths cross. I can name countless times I've shot a good buck the first time I've set foot in an area. The buck I killed this year was shot in an area I only ever hunted once, about 4 years ago... I shot a buck that time too. My wife killed a good buck this year on a spot I'd found after going through it only once earlyer in the season. The two biggest bucks I got a crack at this year were in an area I snowshoed only once, at the end of last November.

Exo,
I’ve gathered some quotes that interest me in trying to understand more.
I’ve got to go back and study more of what you’ve posted and the links that you’ve posted and possibly they’ll help with some of my understanding.

“ If I know an area where there are lots of does, and I know where they are likely to be traveling within that area, I know as much as I need to kill a buck”
“ You just need to put yourself in the same general area that good buck is likely to come through, and hopefully you can make your paths cross”
“Strategy other than go real slow”

What determines that you’re in an area that a buck is going to come through, or where they’re likely traveling?
What do you do to make your paths cross?
What are things you’re looking for to get these to happen?
I’m sure the answers to these questions help determine your “strategy” going in other than going slow?

I know that books probably could be written about these questions, looking forward to your response.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:20 am

Exophysical wrote:
BigWoodsME6 wrote:

Honestly, I dont know that knowing the bedding areas is actually vital. I hunt some places that I know where they bed, and I know other places that I can guess where they probably bed... but I dont feel that its neccessarily important enough to even bother confirming. If I know an area where there are lots of does, and I know where they are likely to be traveling within that area, I know as much as I need to kill a buck come November, if not before. Big timber hunting is not strictly a first and last light oportunity at any point in the season, secure within their preffered habitat deer will move a bit all day. I've killed the majority of my deer between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, with a large percentage of my best bucks taken right at noon. All the deer I shoot are up and moving, not jumped out of their beds, thus I dont think finding bedding areas is vital.

One thing I've noted is that the deer in many of my areas have a tendency to bed on the sides of drainage ravines, these act like virtual funnels for thermal movement.

The big woods areas I hunt, I don’t think that bucks necessarily come back to certain beds, more so certain areas. As u mentioned, in these scenarios the deer aren’t so much on more of a first light/last light schedule. The other day, I hunted a spot that takes a good 3 hours of walking up over a mountain to get to. Zero hunter pressure, and the deer were one their feet moving around all day. The big woods mountain deer certainly move much different than a deer in farm country.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”