Round 2

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Round 2

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:10 am

Well it’s finally time! Currently packing up my gear for an early departure in the morning. Heading 6+ hours south to a public spot I hunted last year for the very first time. Have thought about that hunt for a entire year. This public spot made me look a little silly last year. Plus I missed a nice buck on my second to last morning. That miss is still fresh on my mind.

I located some pretty good spots for morning hunts. But I didn’t see one single deer in the evenings the entire week. At least this time I know exactly what not to do in the evenings. I’m a little concerned about my timing. I originally wanted to go back a week later than I did last year. But it simply wasn’t in the cards. So now I’m going back almost 2 weeks earlier.

I’m pretty confident I can get on deer. This part of the state has a lot of them. But finding a good one that wants to play the game might be a bit of a struggle. Time will tell and I’m excited for the challenge.

Plus I still got a pile of doe tags. So there is always a chance I might just go full blown western. Will update when I can and hopefully put some blood on the ground.

Good luck everyone looks like things are about to get serious.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Stretch
500 Club

Re: Round 2

Unread postby Stretch » Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:55 am

Good luck boogie! I'm also heading out for an out of state hunt in mourning, should be a fun week.
"Let's go brandon, i agree" JOE BIDEN
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:36 pm

Well the does won’t want to be blowing at you and making you upset if they know what’s good for em.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:25 am

Go get em!
Ryan
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:38 am

Good luck!
Bwhit16
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/whitley16

Unread postby Bwhit16 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:29 am

Good luck! Can't wait to hear the report and see the pictures.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:30 am

GL Boogie!! Hope you have a fun time and show that redemption buck who is really on top if the food chain!
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:09 pm

Just finished up day 1.

Had a nice 8pt walk by at 7:45 this morning. Didn’t wanna shoot him cause it was my first hunt of the week. Gonna roll the dice and hold out for something better. Seen a spike and a 6pt around 8:30 and that was it for the morning.

Spent 4 hours during midday scouting me and evening spot. Well better than last year. I had a doe come straight to me at 6:30. She spotted me from the jump. I said eff this and let one fly. Poor shot choice on my part. Hard quartering too shot. Hit front shoulder and didn’t get much penetration. Found some pretty good blood right at dark. Marked it and plan to search for her in the morning. Fingers crossed…..
-John Wayne-
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Very cool day of hunting, good luck in the morning!
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:12 am

Not good! After a 3 hour search I elected to throw in the towel. Only found 1 spot of heavy lung blood that came from the mouth. It was 100 yards from where I shot her.

I was hunting from the ground in a deep ravine. She got to about 15 yards and spotted me. I told her don’t do it, but she wouldn’t listen. She began to circle behind me and I knew that blow was coming and gonna echo down the ravine. I made a stupid decision to snuff out the threat even though the shot angle was awful. Was a hard quartering too shot from 12 yards. I hit her square in the shoulder. It knocked her down on impact and she rolled to bottom of ravine then took off. Broke my shaft, and stole my broadhead. Looks like I only got 4-5” of penetration. Sux! Live and learn I guess. Gonna try for another one.
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:06 pm

Day 2 (actually 3 but I spent the first day scouting)

Very slow morning. Was sticky hot, cloudy, and no wind. I saw one young spike at around 8:30 and that was it.

Evening sit I went back to the same drainage I hunted Monday morning. I saw that same stinken 8 pt again from day 1. Guess he lives in that brushy drainage. He’s a old buck, big bodied. Horns probably 15” wide and doesn’t have a single tine over 3”. Just didn’t get me excited and I don’t wanna force a kill. Still got some time on the clock. But he better no have the huevos to tempt me again. That was the only deer seen and he moved early at roughly 5:45.

Tomorrow’s a new day……
-John Wayne-
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:00 pm

Sounds like an awesome time Boogie! Looking forward to your kill story tomorrow. Redemption is right around the corner….
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:27 pm

Day 3

Not good! I shot another doe at first light this morning. Couldn’t find her either :twisted: Shot was perfect. Right in the pocket on a slight quartering away shot. I didn’t get a full pass thru but I saw my broadhead sticking out her side when she ran off. Couldn’t find a single speck of blood nor could I find my arrow. Spent all day grid searching with no luck. I haven’t lost a single deer in atleast 10 years and now 2 in 2 days. It stings!

The evening hunt I got skunked. Probably just gonna hunt in the morning then head home. My wife is starting to give me crap about being gone. I guess if I keep launching arrows sooner or later I will find one.

Nothing like bringing it down to the wire!
-John Wayne-
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:07 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Day 3

Not good! I shot another doe at first light this morning. Couldn’t find her either :twisted: Shot was perfect. Right in the pocket on a slight quartering away shot. I didn’t get a full pass thru but I saw my broadhead sticking out her side when she ran off. Couldn’t find a single speck of blood nor could I find my arrow. Spent all day grid searching with no luck. I haven’t lost a single deer in atleast 10 years and now 2 in 2 days. It stings!

The evening hunt I got skunked. Probably just gonna hunt in the morning then head home. My wife is starting to give me crap about being gone. I guess if I keep launching arrows sooner or later I will find one.

See if your state has a blood trialing network facebook page and get the dogs to work.

In Louisiana they dont charge you anything, they just do it so there dogs can work and get the experience.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:26 pm

A5BLASTER wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Day 3

See if your state has a blood trialing network facebook page and get the dogs to work.

In Louisiana they dont charge you anything, they just do it so there dogs can work and get the experience.

I’m not 100% positive cause I never called parks & wildlife personally. But I’ve been told by an individual or two that the dogs are not allowed to assist in recovery on public grounds. Apparently folks would run hounds on deer which isn’t allowed and then if caught said they were tracking a lost deer. Just the story I was told. In my home area finding deer is pretty simple due to all the farm fields and limited woods.

This stuff here is a nightmare! Impassable thorny mesquites and cactus. Yesterday I was on all fours crawling around looking for blood and ran up on two diamondback rattlers. Still picking cactus thorns out of my legs. Plus the red sand don’t help matters. Good hunting but tough finding at least for me thus far.
-John Wayne-

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”