Rifles

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

4 the chase

Re: Rifles

Unread postby 4 the chase » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Browning BLR in .308

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Browning 308 shortrac auto with 18" barrel
Make It Happen
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:39 pm

I’ve got a bunch of rifles but primarily deer hunt with a Cooper 6.5-284.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:20 am

Woodsy211 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:If I ever get back into gun hunting it would be a 22-250 for me. I am surgical with that caliber. Absolutely no recoil and I have confidence in it.

I’m all about the small fast calibers. Nothing better than a
Low recoil gun that u can shoot accurately with confidence. I see a lot of guys that scare themselves with a preseason sight in

My wife had a 6.5x55 for a while, if there is a finer caliber for general deer hunting I have yet to run accross it. The felt recoil seemed to be noticably less than a 30-30, probably mostly due to the differences in rifle design. Basically every time I shot that rifle I had to wonder why I bothered owning anything else, a real pleasure to shoot and plenty potent at the other end.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:56 am

Exophysical wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:If I ever get back into gun hunting it would be a 22-250 for me. I am surgical with that caliber. Absolutely no recoil and I have confidence in it.

Low recoil gun that u can shoot accurately with confidence. I see a lot of guys that scare themselves with a preseason sight in

My wife had a 6.5x55 for a while, if there is a finer caliber for general deer hunting I have yet to run accross it. The felt recoil seemed to be noticably less than a 30-30, probably mostly due to the differences in rifle design. Basically every time I shot that rifle I had to wonder why I bothered owning anything else, a real pleasure to shoot and plenty potent at the other end.

I currently have at least 3 rifles chambered in 6.5x55. Absolutely great caliber for whitetail size critters.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:48 am

A5BLASTER wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:
khel wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:In open areas I carry my seekins havoc in 6.5 prc. If I am walking or in tight quarters I grab my 6.5 grendel AR pistol.

What bullets are you using in 6.5 grendel pistol?
I had good results from hornady black (123gr ELD-M) on hogs from 18" barrel. Not sure if it'll open up well from 12.5" barrel

Right now I am using the federal gold metal which I think is 130 gr. Berger if I remember right. I got 123 Hornady also. Mine is a 14.5 barrel. I haven't shot anything with it yet but hopefully I can fix that soon.

If you handload. Try the 120 gold dot on top of 28.6 grains of ar-comp and a cci 450 primer in either a hornady or starline case with a coal length of 2.280. This is a money load I have tryed it in 16 diffrent barrels and it has shoot sub moa in every single one of them and have yet to have a animal live after being hit by it.

If you shoot factory ammo, try the federal fusion ammo if you can get your hands on it, I used some when I first came out from my 12.5 and 16 inch grendels and it was great ammo.

Thanks I will have to give that a try if I can ever find some components.
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:35 am

WV Bowhunter wrote:
Exophysical wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:

I currently have at least 3 rifles chambered in 6.5x55. Absolutely great caliber for whitetail size critters.

Theres an old outdoors writer I'm a fan of called Francis E. Sell, from about the 60's I think. All the most comprehensive stuff I've ever read on big timber hunting was written by him, and by the end of his evolution his favorite deer rifle was a Husqvarna carbine in 6.5x55 with a low powered scope. Having about 2 decades of timber hunting under my belt since I first ran across his work, as well a fair bit of experience with Husky carbines, and a some experience with the 6.5x55... I really cant dream up a much better deer rifle.
They say millwrights can fix anything except a broken heart, but I've even got a tool that can do that!
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:42 am

Savage 30-06. Nothing fancy bit I got it from my dad, love that gun.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:54 am

Exophysical wrote:
WV Bowhunter wrote:
Exophysical wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:

Theres an old outdoors writer I'm a fan of called Francis E. Sell, from about the 60's I think. All the most comprehensive stuff I've ever read on big timber hunting was written by him, and by the end of his evolution his favorite deer rifle was a Husqvarna carbine in 6.5x55 with a low powered scope. Having about 2 decades of timber hunting under my belt since I first ran across his work, as well a fair bit of experience with Husky carbines, and a some experience with the 6.5x55... I really cant dream up a much better deer rifle.

Never heard of a husky rifle , is it a bolt? Heard a lot of good things about the 6.5 though, haven’t shot one so far though. My usual go to is a rem 700 in 243, but I’ve also shot a lot of deer with my savage ultralight in 223. I bought a savage 220 this year, and I’m highly impressed with the way it shoots . Have yet to shoot a deer with it, but I’d have to assume a 20 gauge slug is going to provide good results . Enjoyed ur other posts about north woods hunting by the way
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:31 pm

Woodsy211 wrote:
Never heard of a husky rifle , is it a bolt? Heard a lot of good things about the 6.5 though, haven’t shot one so far though. My usual go to is a rem 700 in 243, but I’ve also shot a lot of deer with my savage ultralight in 223. I bought a savage 220 this year, and I’m highly impressed with the way it shoots . Have yet to shoot a deer with it, but I’d have to assume a 20 gauge slug is going to provide good results . Enjoyed ur other posts about north woods hunting by the way

Husqvarna made bolt action rifles through the first 3/4 of the last century. Lots of them were built on commercial Mauser actions, their own action was the 1600 series and was basically a modified small ring Mauser and are the lightest. My carbines were made in the 60's and cost me under $500 CAD each. Loaded and topped with a 2-7x scope they weigh under 7.5 lbs... even today you would have trouble putting a walnut stock on a Mauser based action and coming in that light.

Glad you liked the bush hunting threads, I just like to promote the idea that one doesnt need to spend a fortune on gear and the freeze their tail off in a stand if they dont want to. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but the fact that there are other viable options seems to get glossed over by most mainstream hunting media.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:14 pm

Exophysical wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:

Husqvarna made bolt action rifles through the first 3/4 of the last century. Lots of them were built on commercial Mauser actions, their own action was the 1600 series and was basically a modified small ring Mauser and are the lightest. My carbines were made in the 60's and cost me under $500 CAD each. Loaded and topped with a 2-7x scope they weigh under 7.5 lbs... even today you would have trouble putting a walnut stock on a Mauser based action and coming in that light.

Glad you liked the bush hunting threads, I just like to promote the idea that one doesnt need to spend a fortune on gear and the freeze their tail off in a stand if they dont want to. Not that theres anything wrong with that, but the fact that there are other viable options seems to get glossed over by most mainstream hunting media.

Thanks for the info! One of us should start a big woods tracking/still hunting thread. I’d love to hear everybody’s input on the subject , be a great learning experience.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:48 pm

I have a .270 and a 30 06

The 3006 doesn’t get used much.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Exophysical

Unread postby Exophysical » Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:05 pm

Woodsy211 wrote:
Exophysical wrote:
Woodsy211 wrote:

Thanks for the info! One of us should start a big woods tracking/still hunting thread. I’d love to hear everybody’s input on the subject , be a great learning experience.

Dont know if you checked out the "North East" hunting thread, but that one should almost be re-named "Big Timber Thread" some great info in there.
dan99

Unread postby dan99 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Old Savage 110 in 30-06.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”