Shotguns

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MitchB

Shotguns

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 am

I live in a shotgun only state. This year I bought a muzzleloader since it would allow me to hunt all the gun seasons rather than just the ones where only shotguns were legal. I took a buck with the muzzleloader during the first shotgun season and it worked just fine.

My question is am I missing out on anything by not using a shotgun when legal to? The muzzleloader is plenty accurate at least out to 100 yards for me and the deer I shot went down within 20 yards of being shot. Other than quicker follow up shots I’m not sure I can think of anything a shotgun would do that my muzzleloader can’t.

And yet I still want a Savage 220 right now :lol:

Woodsy211
500 Club

Re: Shotguns

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:35 am

One thing is can tell u, if u buy a 220 u won’t regret it. I’ve got a nice t/c muzzleloader, but unless it’s primitive season I wouldn’t consider it. With the 220, u have one in the chamber and two in the mag. It’s nice for follow up shots. The way the 220 shoots is
Just night and day in my opinion. It really boils down to what u are comfortable hunting with. If u know somebody with a dedicated slug gun, I’d ask to run a few rounds through it and see what u think, and then go from there.
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:55 am

Just stick with the muzzleloader. I didnt buy a slug gun till last year for my son. I bought a used h&r ultra slug hunter 20 gauge. It's damn near as accurate as my muzzleloader out to 100 yards. As much as I prefer to bow hunt theirs something pretty cool about putting a 300 grain xtp mag into the shoulder of a deer with the muzzleloader and making them fold that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 am

Biggest advantage to the slug gun is the follow up shot. Treat the muzzleloader like your hunting with a bow and only take high percentage shots and you will be fine. I have been hunting all gun seasons with my muzzleloader past few years but it is a savage so it performs pretty darn close to a center fire rifle and doesn't need to be cleaned till after hunting season ends.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:46 am

A shot gun has alot of advantages. The follow up shot being number one of course. Cleaning a muzzleloader is a pain. Carrying all the stuff compared to just a gun n shells. Rain is an issue. With a good slug gun n sabots you can get excellent range and accuracy.

That being said they are both good weapons to kill deer with and if you take good shots both will put venison in the freezer. I hunted about 10 years straight with my knight muzzleloader during our regular firearm season. I put down alot of deer with it. I switched after I missed a buck at 40 yards ( pulled my shot n shot over his back). If I would have had my 12 gage I would have quickly shot him with a follow up. Instead he trotted away before I could reload. I bought a 870 n never looked back.

I still kill deer with that muzzleloader. I just don't use it during firearm season any more.... its 12g or .450 bm now.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:53 am

I shoot 1 oz rifled slugs out of my smooth bore shotgun barrel. It’s super accurate out to about 75 yds then starts dropping pretty rapidly. Other than a quick follow up shot or two, another advantage is the knock down power. Pretty much if you hit the deer with a 1oz slug, they are going down.

Killed a lot of bucks with the muzzleloader, I love it. But I’ve had a couple shots in the no mans land and they got away. Never had that problem with a slug.
Strategically Inefficient
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:36 pm

We have some areas that I hunt that are ML or shotgun only. I bought my savage 220f 5 years ago. My Very first trip in the woods with it I shot an 11 point and he collapsed on the spot. I have been in love and haven’t looked back. I’ve shot deer in thickets with full confidence, I’ve had some deer tote that 20 gauge slug 60-80 yards but that’s been about it. That 220 just seems to break them up inside much better than a .270 ever could. I will still shoot a follow up shot with that 220 and the bullets are expensive but it’s a killer.

We have long rifle seasons here and I do not like using my .270 I’ve lost multiple does with that thing after knocking them down to the ground at the spot of impact. They always seemed to crawl off through brush and most deer would always run at least 50-100 yards after the shot and most of the time leave little blood.

A fast rifle bullet can ricochet off a shoulder but that slug crushes them with a wallop!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:08 pm

What slugs are you guys using with the Savage 220s?
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:18 pm

When you smoke a shot at a good buck and he runs closer to you and stands there while you reload and then he leaves before you can get the primer in, you will have your answer…
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bowtech1

Unread postby Bowtech1 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:41 pm

Most guys are having the most luck with Remington acu tips
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:42 pm

Bonecrusher101 wrote: We have long rifle seasons here and I do not like using my .270 I’ve lost multiple does with that thing after knocking them down to the ground at the spot of impact. They always seemed to crawl off through brush and most deer would always run at least 50-100 yards after the shot and most of the time leave little blood.

A fast rifle bullet can ricochet off a shoulder but that slug crushes them with a wallop!

I find stuff i read about diff experinces to be interesting.

Shot 3006 for years and majority of animals just drop, buck or doe. Had 1 bullet do weird stuff on shoulder blade but it was a handgun bullet out of 357 mag rifle. Rarely track deer but may get to in the future shooting 350 Legend, it is 1 track and 1 drt so far.

Those 20 ga slug guns are for real. Id get one and keep the ML.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm

PK_ wrote:When you smoke a shot at a good buck and he runs closer to you and stands there while you reload and then he leaves before you can get the primer in, you will have your answer…

Haha I've had that happen too
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:15 pm

Rich M wrote:
Bonecrusher101 wrote: We have long rifle seasons here and I do not like using my .270 I’ve lost multiple does with that thing after knocking them down to the ground at the spot of impact. They always seemed to crawl off through brush and most deer would always run at least 50-100 yards after the shot and most of the time leave little blood.

I find stuff i read about diff experinces to be interesting.

Shot 3006 for years and majority of animals just drop, buck or doe. Had 1 bullet do weird stuff on shoulder blade but it was a handgun bullet out of 357 mag rifle. Rarely track deer but may get to in the future shooting 350 Legend, it is 1 track and 1 drt so far.

Those 20 ga slug guns are for real. Id get one and keep the ML.

I’ve had 2 different friends lose 2 bucks with a 30-06 this year. Both shots seemed like they glanced off shoulder, broke the shoulder deer was stumbling and going down but when they got there, no deer not good blood.

It was like both didn’t get enough penetration to be fatal. I told both of them to aim at your exit. If that deer is hard quartering away you need to aim at that last rib and let the bullet exit through the crease behind the shoulder.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Woodsy211
500 Club

Unread postby Woodsy211 » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:54 am

MitchB wrote:What slugs are you guys using with the Savage 220s?

As mentioned , the Remington accutips are supposed to be the best shooting slug for the 220. I had a hard time finding any ammo for mine. I’ve been shooting the hornadys, they have been very accurate for me
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:57 am

I had the same rationale until I jumped a 130" and didn't shoot hoping he'd stop and pose for me...
Bought the Browning a bolt 12 gauge...
Love it!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”