Archery Only vs General Public Land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dave0317

Archery Only vs General Public Land

Unread postby Dave0317 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm

I’ve had a slow season so far. Running into way more pressure this year and last year than I’d seen in any previous year here in Mississippi. If hunter numbers are down, my local public land sure doesn’t seem to reflect that. On top of record numbers of regular hunters, is record numbers of groups of guys hunting with dogs. Most of these guys are lazy and will literally sit in their truck on the side of the road until their dogs get close. Then they step a few feet into the woods and try to take some running shots at deer. Very frustrating. Most of the woods only go so far off the road and there are limited areas with obstacles to get away from the dogs.

All this pressure seems to keep the deer pretty skittish and mostly bedded down in daylight hours.

I’ve got access to a Archery Only area that is new to me this year. I haven’t been able to scout it much, but there seems to be much less pressure there.

Anyone have experience with these Archery Only type lands? I would assume human intrusion is just as bad for deer whether the hunter had a bow or rifle, but if overall numbers are less, and there are no dogs, would you choose to hunt this type of area? It’s about 500 acres, (not huge compared to the 100,000+ acre forest I normally explore) but I think it doesn’t get too much attention after rifle season opens. Any advice from those who have made a similar choice?

Tribute80

Re: Archery Only vs General Public Land

Unread postby Tribute80 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:00 pm

I hunt some walk in archery only properties in Georgia. By far the best public property I hunt on in the area. Some of it doesn’t open until the middle of the season and after gun season starts. There is still some pressure but the deer population is way higher. It’s all smaller properties which I prefer because it’s easier to scout and scout well. It’s not usually an issue of if the deer are there.

When the weather is right the hunting is really good. However Even with how good it is it takes patience and persistence to get it done. It’s out of state for me and I loose patience and shoot whatever or all my arrows into does and have to get down.

I say give it a try.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:29 pm

I have one archery only area but it gets pounded hard by all the archery guys. Seem to have better luck with overlooked and remote public, can really catch those buck by surprise if you do your homework because most hunting pressure is pretty easy for them to avoid. Slip in like a beast and be careful and get the jump on them.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:51 pm

I noticed a shift a couple years ago with Archery only areas. They get pounded. Seems like everybody has the same idea. Plus, I've run into lots of traveling beast type hunters at them in OH and KY. I'm not anti-crossbow, but I've met lots of traditional gun hunters in Archery only areas, and the couple times I've gun hunted this week, it's been a ghost town.
Swamp Beast

Unread postby Swamp Beast » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:03 am

I think it depends on what state you're in and the seasons. A state like North Carolina has far more gun hunters than archery hunters. I've seen a lot of deer get pushed into archery only zones come gun season.
Ognennyy
500 Club

Unread postby Ognennyy » Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:25 am

Swamp Beast wrote:I think it depends on what state you're in and the seasons.

Agree entirely here. If it's an archery only zone it likely sees a lot of pressure at the season opener for that specific area, and what I mean is like the first week that people can get into that area and hunt be that based on an area-specific reg, or governed only by the season dates. If you're past you're season opener for that zone then it's probably a great idea to get in there and check it out.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:28 am

In my experience yes archery only zones are far better hunting w deer numbers and general quality as well. However I will say there are some general hunting areas where iv seen some of the biggest deer. Usually if I think iv found a good buck there - its a really good one. I think it all depends on acreage, pressure and habitat.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:16 am

I just had a few larger river bottom public hunting spots get converted to bow only this year and I am seeing way less trucks in the parking lots. It actually has me pretty excited for the future of these areas!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
jakebern

Unread postby jakebern » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:32 am

Everything is situational but I have found archery only areas can be great. Even if it has more pressure, it might be more predictable pressure that you can use to your advantage.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:35 am

I'd say the archery-only state lands have been really good where I live. It gets pressured, and you still have to work hard for them, but it's not as crazy as general public which gets pounded with all sorts of outdoor enthusiasts, not just hunters. Other smaller properties that are managed for quail, rabbit or woodcock hold some promise in the the late season due to high-stem count and great hiding spots. But you pretty much need to hunt them during the week to avoid the upland game folks and their dogs. But you can get lucky and have them bump the deer to you if you set up on the far side of the property from the parking lots.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Dave0317

Unread postby Dave0317 » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:37 pm

Thanks for the insight. I guess I’ll have to put in a few more hunts and just kind of see how the pressure and deer numbers balance out.

I had one positive encounter when I got there one day and saw 3 does feeding about 50 yards from me. I was able to get within 25 yards by moving very slowly and keeping some trees between me and their eyes. I shot, and the arrow zinged off a sapling between me and her. Exciting encounter, and that’s the closest “stalking” I’ve done. I’ve shot them closer, but only in an ambush type setup not a stalk. I don’t think I could have done that at the national forest land.

Some of the pressure should be self regulating as there are only 5-6 parking spaces available for the whole 500 acres. And…the only people I have ran into were hunting the established clearings/food plot type areas that the CoE puts in there.
I’m going to put some time in scouting and hunting and see how it goes. I mostly just need somewhere to get away from the packs of deer hunting dogs and lazy truck hunters and widespread vehicle trespassing on the National Forest land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”