Late season...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TreeFreak

Re: Late season...

Unread postby TreeFreak » Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:33 am

Been grinding out here in MO still. Been after a tall tined 8 that I am closing in on. I have had 4 encounters with him on stand over the last 3 weeks. The closest I have gotten was 42 yds and let him walk. Just wasn’t comfortable with that far of a shot. He’s living in a big section of hill country, but I’ve got him narrowed down to a ridge system that consists of 4 big ridges. The deer have been pretty nomadic between these 4 ridges browsing on what is left of acorns and bedding throughout . There are still quite a few left on the ground, surprisingly.

All of my encounters with this buck he has been with does. I’ve gotten fairly familiar with the deer heard in the area. I am now attempting to “stack” the main ridge in an attempt to not spread myself so thin throughout the hills with only 10 days left of season. The last two sightings of the buck I have seen him crossing a small valley onto the outermost ridge in the system. On this particular ridge there has been a group of 4 does bedding consistently. I have seen the buck with these does more than once. The other morning, the group of four does fed underneath me for a while and I decided to shoot the biggest one. I was hoping to relocate the does to the next ridge over. I saw the does on the next ridge over the last two hunts as they again fed directly underneath me on acorns. I won’t be able to make it back out until Friday. I plan to get in the middle of the action and hunt a saddle that lies in the middle ridge. Hoping he will funnel through.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:12 am

The windchill is brutal... This is my 1st day out after covid and im getting blown all over
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am

dan wrote:The windchill is brutal... This is my 1st day out after covid and im getting blown all over

40-mph gusts are no joke
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:31 am

My season ended December 31st sundown. I shot a button buck through the heart a few days before seasons end. I love late season when there is fresh snow and the sun hits it and it can sparkle like a gem.

I still suck at actually hunting deer so I can't speak on patterns and such.
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:52 am

dan wrote:The windchill is brutal... This is my 1st day out after covid and im getting blown all over

Any deer get blown your way? :lol:
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:21 pm

I was out this last Saturday hunting for doe as my buck tag is filled. I made my way into some hill terrain after some fresh snow and was finding minimal sign. I knew I had to head to the edges of where public meets with private and had some ag. Wasn’t sure what the fields were holding as far as crops, but I knew if I kept on that line I would find a trail heading out to feed. Sure enough as I neared the private parcels I picked up on quite a few good trails. I picked the freshest and followed it back. Visibility was 300-400 yds this time of year. This was a new parcel to me so I was not sure where any bedding was. As I was debating stopping and setting up, I noticed 2 doe barreling off. I decided I had to check it out. As I got to the top of the hill they were bedded, I noticed 4 different doe beds. One watching north, one east, one south and one west. They had 360 degrees covered 300-400 yards visibility and of course any scent. I am aware of how does bed, but this setup was quite bulletproof. Some smart deer!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:42 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:I was out this last Saturday hunting for doe as my buck tag is filled. I made my way into some hill terrain after some fresh snow and was finding minimal sign. I knew I had to head to the edges of where public meets with private and had some ag. Wasn’t sure what the fields were holding as far as crops, but I knew if I kept on that line I would find a trail heading out to feed. Sure enough as I neared the private parcels I picked up on quite a few good trails. I picked the freshest and followed it back. Visibility was 300-400 yds this time of year. This was a new parcel to me so I was not sure where any bedding was. As I was debating stopping and setting up, I noticed 2 doe barreling off. I decided I had to check it out. As I got to the top of the hill they were bedded, I noticed 4 different doe beds. One watching north, one east, one south and one west. They had 360 degrees covered 300-400 yards visibility and of course any scent. I am aware of how does bed, but this setup was quite bulletproof. Some smart deer!

I found a wooded knob in the northern Kettle Moraine like that too. The thing was just big enough at the top for 4 deer and they had all 4 spots filled. They totally had it covered
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:02 am

I'm still getting out when I can. Saw some fawns on Sunday but haven't found anything really good yet but ill keep grinding.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:34 am

TreeFreak wrote:Been grinding out here in MO still. Been after a tall tined 8 that I am closing in on. I have had 4 encounters with him on stand over the last 3 weeks. The closest I have gotten was 42 yds and let him walk. Just wasn’t comfortable with that far of a shot. He’s living in a big section of hill country, but I’ve got him narrowed down to a ridge system that consists of 4 big ridges. The deer have been pretty nomadic between these 4 ridges browsing on what is left of acorns and bedding throughout . There are still quite a few left on the ground, surprisingly.

All of my encounters with this buck he has been with does. I’ve gotten fairly familiar with the deer heard in the area. I am now attempting to “stack” the main ridge in an attempt to not spread myself so thin throughout the hills with only 10 days left of season. The last two sightings of the buck I have seen him crossing a small valley onto the outermost ridge in the system. On this particular ridge there has been a group of 4 does bedding consistently. I have seen the buck with these does more than once. The other morning, the group of four does fed underneath me for a while and I decided to shoot the biggest one. I was hoping to relocate the does to the next ridge over. I saw the does on the next ridge over the last two hunts as they again fed directly underneath me on acorns. I won’t be able to make it back out until Friday. I plan to get in the middle of the action and hunt a saddle that lies in the middle ridge. Hoping he will funnel through.

Where in MO are you? there are a few of us MO boys on here, it's good to see another one on here.
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:59 pm

Air BnB is booked. Soon as I'm off work tomorrow, I will be heading southeast.

Hoping for a solid snow covering for atleast Saturday. Looking at radar and Temps, I'm not sure if it'll be there or not. Will definitely help me key in on where the deer are...or aren't.

I have several pieces of ground I wanna look at that I've never seen. Found some cuts in the 10-12yo range that caught my attention. Can't find anything real new. With the lack of acorns, high stem count stuff will probably have my attention. Maybe bottom land...I found a swamp bottom last week where skunk cabbage sprouted early due to the crazy warm temps...I had no idea deer ate that nasty stuff but they were absolutely hammering it. Always a good chance to find green stuff in bottoms too.

3 days in the late season and knowing there aren't acorns in any ground I'm familiar with leaves me feeling skeptical at best. But if nothing else I get 3 days of scouting in. Hopefully I can send a TTSX through a bucks chest.

Stay tuned. I'll try to do a nightly post of my late season Ohio adventures. I was slacking earlier this year...mostly due to frustration and spending my nights looking at maps.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:45 am

mauser06 wrote:Air BnB is booked. Soon as I'm off work tomorrow, I will be heading southeast.

Hoping for a solid snow covering for atleast Saturday. Looking at radar and Temps, I'm not sure if it'll be there or not. Will definitely help me key in on where the deer are...or aren't.

I have several pieces of ground I wanna look at that I've never seen. Found some cuts in the 10-12yo range that caught my attention. Can't find anything real new. With the lack of acorns, high stem count stuff will probably have my attention. Maybe bottom land...I found a swamp bottom last week where skunk cabbage sprouted early due to the crazy warm temps...I had no idea deer ate that nasty stuff but they were absolutely hammering it. Always a good chance to find green stuff in bottoms too.

3 days in the late season and knowing there aren't acorns in any ground I'm familiar with leaves me feeling skeptical at best. But if nothing else I get 3 days of scouting in. Hopefully I can send a TTSX through a bucks chest.

Stay tuned. I'll try to do a nightly post of my late season Ohio adventures. I was slacking earlier this year...mostly due to frustration and spending my nights looking at maps.

Good luck!
----------
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:02 am

Dewey wrote:

Any deer get blown your way? :lol:

I sat 4 hours and saw 7 deer that hunt.
TreeFreak

Unread postby TreeFreak » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am

Brad wrote:
TreeFreak wrote:Been grinding out here in MO still. Been after a tall tined 8 that I am closing in on. I have had 4 encounters with him on stand over the last 3 weeks. The closest I have gotten was 42 yds and let him walk. Just wasn’t comfortable with that far of a shot. He’s living in a big section of hill country, but I’ve got him narrowed down to a ridge system that consists of 4 big ridges. The deer have been pretty nomadic between these 4 ridges browsing on what is left of acorns and bedding throughout . There are still quite a few left on the ground, surprisingly.

Where in MO are you? there are a few of us MO boys on here, it's good to see another one on here.

I live in St. Charles, but hunt all over. Currently hunting a managed draw hunt at Weldon spring CA.
TreeFreak

Unread postby TreeFreak » Sat Jan 08, 2022 3:28 am

Brad wrote:

I live in St. Charles, but hunt all over. Currently hunting a managed draw hunt at Weldon spring CA.
Chad Gus 715

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:02 am

My 3 acre bean field every afternoon and the buck i get almost daily daytime pictures of
Screenshot_20211228-172538_Gallery.jpg
63c2c2cb-df06-4b2d-aa4d-42da9498aa58.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
equal opportunity hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”