B&C Rules Cell Cams Not Fair Chase

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: B&C Rules Cell Cams Not Fair Chase

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:14 pm

Baron.freeman wrote:All good. Easily my misunderstanding still trying to figure the site out. The technology whoops me. I'm enjoying everyone's opinion. Even if it don't completely line up with mine.

My fault and definitely appreciate the story

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:33 pm

dan wrote:
Bperdue21 wrote:
Baron.freeman wrote: Anyway back to topic like Dan is saying why is a private club making these decisions for all of us? I feel like B$C should just follow each states laws. If it legal in the state it was killed it should be accepted in B$C? Does that make sense? I mean I'm knew to these discussions didn't know it was so widely discussed. I maybe missing something. I guess it's there club and I don't wanna be in it.

Thank u for your opinion and the discussion.

They didn’t make any state laws, Idaho just used B&C Clubs definition of fair chase to apply to the cell cam law.

Also it looks like the law was made because of the way outfitters were doing the elk out there. The whitetail hunters just got lumped in because of the few bad apples that were actually doing it. If I had paid 300k for a tag though, I’d probably want similar results.

I was hunting last week with Chad president of Exodus trail cams, and he was telling me there are some man made water holes in dry areas for the wildlife that are not getting used cause there are literally 50 trail cameras surrounding the water tank. Some poles have several different cameras from different guys / outfitters.... He said even as a camera manufacture he can understand why they outlawed them, but wished they would of did some other kind of restriction like distance from water, or? But, he said something had to be done cause it was effecting herd health.

Unreal. That really puts things into perspective.
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:42 pm

dan wrote: I was hunting last week with Chad president of Exodus trail cams, and he was telling me there are some man made water holes in dry areas for the wildlife that are not getting used cause there are literally 50 trail cameras surrounding the water tank. Some poles have several different cameras from different guys / outfitters.... He said even as a camera manufacture he can understand why they outlawed them, but wished they would of did some other kind of restriction like distance from water, or? But, he said something had to be done cause it was effecting herd health.

It sounds to me like they should have started cracking down on the outfitters. They probably didn’t want to cut into their revenue stream though.

Ultimately though, when I was growing up you’d hear things like 8 point, a big 8, a high rack 8. Now we hear 150 class deer or booner or however many inch class it is. When you push the score like that, it pushes people and apparently really pushes people that stake their living to push the boundaries of what is ethical or not. When you are relying on pictures of clients with dead animals 170 class or 380” elk or whatever class you call it to sell your hunts, you are definitely gonna push the envelope to keep your money coming in. And you know every one of those guys knew they were in the wrong as they placed their cameras.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:03 pm

Bperdue21 wrote:
dan wrote: I was hunting last week with Chad president of Exodus trail cams, and he was telling me there are some man made water holes in dry areas for the wildlife that are not getting used cause there are literally 50 trail cameras surrounding the water tank. Some poles have several different cameras from different guys / outfitters.... He said even as a camera manufacture he can understand why they outlawed them, but wished they would of did some other kind of restriction like distance from water, or? But, he said something had to be done cause it was effecting herd health.

It sounds to me like they should have started cracking down on the outfitters. They probably didn’t want to cut into their revenue stream though.

Ultimately though, when I was growing up you’d hear things like 8 point, a big 8, a high rack 8. Now we hear 150 class deer or booner or however many inch class it is. When you push the score like that, it pushes people and apparently really pushes people that stake their living to push the boundaries of what is ethical or not. When you are relying on pictures of clients with dead animals 170 class or 380” elk or whatever class you call it to sell your hunts, you are definitely gonna push the envelope to keep your money coming in. And you know every one of those guys knew they were in the wrong as they placed their cameras.

Like steroids in baseball, doping in the olympics, or any number of situations where things get so competitive that people are forced to do whatever it takes to find an edge.

Is it too much to ask that all social media platforms (this forum exempt) be dissolved and erased from our culture? :lol:
Strategically Inefficient
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:48 pm

Bperdue21 wrote:

I don't think the blame can be focused on outfitters. They are only a percentage of the cameras and honestly, a lot of the higher quality outfitters are calling for this cause they don't want the herd effected... Some of the people placing the cameras are not even hunters, just want pics of big elk. And guys there all day long checking the cameras has to have an impact. I heard Chad from Exodus did a podcast about this subject, however I did not listen yet, maybe someone can find it and post it here? UPDATE: Found it, but still can't listen, im at work (and hard at it obviously :lol: ) here it is: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IBxAF&ep=6
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:14 am

dan wrote:
Bperdue21 wrote:

I don't think the blame can be focused on outfitters. They are only a percentage of the cameras and honestly, a lot of the higher quality outfitters are calling for this cause they don't want the herd effected... Some of the people placing the cameras are not even hunters, just want pics of big elk. And guys there all day long checking the cameras has to have an impact. I heard Chad from Exodus did a podcast about this subject, however I did not listen yet, maybe someone can find it and post it here? UPDATE: Found it, but still can't listen, im at work (and hard at it obviously :lol: ) here it is: https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cH ... IBxAF&ep=6

Management:

"Hey Smithers. Come over here and take a look at the cell cam pic I just got of Infalt in Sector 7C!
What the heck is he doing with his cell phone; he's supposed to be machining widgets for the Faraday contract!
Release the hounds!"
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:19 am

I get both sides of this,

Cell cameras can be used and i think are in most cases fair chase.

They can also be used in non fairchase methods. I don't think setting up a camera over a big bucks bed and then sneaking within 200 yards of the bed and killing them with a rifle wouldn't be fair chase.

And to be honest with myself i dont think ill ever have to worry about shooting a B/C eligible deer.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:26 pm

Baron.freeman wrote:
dan wrote:
<DK> wrote:Thank you Baron for giving an honest and open story about your experience. That is an amazing deer!

I am surprised by some the comments about this subject, considering how many threads there have been over the years about 'hunter ethics'. Especially on public lands.. How do those conversations go? "Alot of hunters dont have any but they should".

I do not see how glassing a buck can be equal to a cell cam. That is not the same thing at all, youre physically there and seeing the deer.

Cams on public is one discussion but I take major issue w cell cams being allowed on public lands! Deer ethics aside, it means that we are no longer alone out there. If I walk by your cell cam, now we are together in that moment. You could literally drop what youre doing and come out there too. Thats not fair, I make extensive efforts to get away from people and technology. Plus if im a non resident, I paid alot of money to do so.

How many threads have there been on here about the cell cams since they have come out? Most knew this was either walking the line or crossing it but when people see others having huge success they will follow suit.

In some ways technology has surpassed the game and there has to be a line or code. This rule must have ruffled some features bc the google search had a trending one for me to click on. Here are a few paragraphs I found online that define it well :

*Fair Chase balances the skills and equipment of the hunter with
the abilities of the animal to escape. Fair Chase is primarily
defined by individuals and their level of hunting ability. The expert hunter may use more restrictive and less effective techniques than the novice hunter. Fair Chase emphasizes self-restraint and the development of skills.

*Fair Chase relates directly to the development of skills, and then differences between what might be ethical for a novice hunter, but not for an experienced hunter doing the same activity.

*When in the field, the initial question for every fair chase hunter is whether the animal has a reasonable opportunity to elude the hunter. If the animal does not, the hunt can never be "fair chase".

*Fair chase has been the honor code of North American hunters for over a century and the principle underlying many hunting laws, and is taught to new hunters in hunter certification courses.

*There are also laws that regulate hunting. Ethical, fair chase hunting therefore begins with obeying game laws. A fair chase hunter must acquaint themselves with the laws that govern hunting, as they reflect considerations for safety, the sustainable use of the wildlife resources, and the minimum level of conduct that the public will tolerate in a particular state, province, region, or country. If something is illegal it cannot, by definition, be fair chase. On the other hand, just because something is legal does not make it fair chase.

I like the fact that there are 3rd parties to define it bc every state has different rules. We cant act like the DNRs or Conservation depts do everything right bc we all know that is not true..

There are some really great posts on here though! I think it shows that there is at least a discussion to be had about it and its worth talking about.

Good points... My only argument would be that private clubs should not be deciding ethics or laws, we the people should, and if you geel somethong should be outlawed you should petition for that... After actually using cell cams, I really dont see them as the advantage some make them out to be, certainly they are an advatage though... But, I would be ok with it becoming law if the majority felt the way you do. But, I really think in this thread, we arr talking about a private club deciding that for us, and I am not on board with that... As far as the major advantage goes, I would say most that say that habe not actually tried cell cams... I was real worried about cell cams till I actually tried them... Another thing to keep in mind is you can out law their use, and stop "law biding" people from using them, but many will use them anyway, and they will still be made and sold

I understand your point dk and can't say I completely disagree especially where you can bait and where water is lacking. I would love to spent more time in the areas I hunt and not depend on cams. Problem is the closest place I hunt is 2.5 hrs from my house, My wife works every other weekend, I work full time and we have two kids so my time is limited and I do multiple states. I only like hunting Hill country so I have to travel. Hiking and knew places is my real passion. Gotta trust me I love the process of figuring new deer and places out. I obey every rule so if they was outlawed I wouldn't use them. My cameras are set to only sent me pics once a day. (So I'm not looking at phone all day). But I wouldnt be devastated if the hunting world decided to outlaw them.

Anyway back to topic like Dan is saying why is a private club making these decisions for all of us? I feel like B$C should just follow each states laws. If it legal in the state it was killed it should be accepted in B$C? Does that make sense? I mean I'm knew to these discussions didn't know it was so widely discussed. I maybe missing something. I guess it's there club and I don't wanna be in it.

Thank u for your opinion and the discussion.

but each state has different set of rules. For instance there are states that allow shining, allow use of cameras, allow baiting, etc... but here in my state it is against the rules to do any shining, use any cameras (on state run land), and baiting is illegal. so, whos rules would B&C follow? personally I couldn't care less about getting my name in any record book, but if I did, should B&C have a different set of guidelines for me than some guy baiting a buck he's watching on a cell cam he put in a spot he was able to spotlight to find the buck?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:46 pm

While I don’t care for the “book” aspect of B&C I respect them and they do a lot for the hunting community. I don’t care for the whole “who cares if it’s legal” mess. It’s my opinion that what is legal has nothing to do with right/wrong or what’s best for the wildlife. Instead it has everything to do with how much money corporate tycoons will lobby to make something legal. Try this… go sleep with your buddies wife and if caught just say who cares it’s legal! If he gets mad he must just be jealous or have his head in the clouds.

For me cell cams cross the line. The honest truth is if the hunting community excepts instant cams, ozone machines, etc…. You can bet your bottom dollar these companies are already working on technology to push the envelope even farther. So where does it stop? Answer it never will! Your kids will enter the woods 25 years from now with not the slightest clue of what hunting is about. As a guy who would like to leave something better than I found it this saddens me. Think I’m lying…. Look backs to just 25 years ago. Now we have mutated bucks behind tall fences, ozone units, archery guns, cell cams, drones, and numerous other technical devices. I prefer to draw a line in the sand. I respect B&C because they will talk about the real problems that folks won’t for fear of losing sponsorship.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:57 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:While I don’t care for the “book” aspect of B&C I respect them and they do a lot for the hunting community. I don’t care for the whole “who cares if it’s legal” mess. It’s my opinion that what is legal has nothing to do with right/wrong or what’s best for the wildlife. Instead it has everything to do with how much money corporate tycoons will lobby to make something legal. Try this… go sleep with your buddies wife and if caught just say who cares it’s legal! If he gets mad he must just be jealous or have his head in the clouds.

For me cell cams cross the line. The honest truth is if the hunting community excepts instant cams, ozone machines, etc…. You can bet your bottom dollar these companies are already working on technology to push the envelope even farther. So where does it stop? Answer it never will! Your kids will enter the woods 25 years from now with not the slightest clue of what hunting is about. As a guy who would like to leave something better than I found it this saddens me. Think I’m lying…. Look backs to just 25 years ago. Now we have mutated bucks behind tall fences, ozone units, archery guns, cell cams, drones, and numerous other technical devices. I prefer to draw a line in the sand. I respect B&C because they will talk about the real problems that folks won’t for fear of losing sponsorship.

I completely respect that comment.
My question then is, if cell cameras cross the line... do regular trail cameras cross the line too?
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:59 pm

I have a question for the guys who have consistently and successfully killed mature bucks.
I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, because it is NOT in any way intended to take anything away from anybody's success. I'm sure there are some who wish not to answer the question honestly, and that's ok. If you think the question is out of line, let me know, as I am always open to constructive criticism.

How many of the mature bucks or trophy bucks that you have you've killed were killed with any type of assistance of trail cameras, including even minimal use of cameras or indirect assistance killing a buck because of cameras?

I'd love to hear what you all have to say about this, and again, it is for information, not to take anything away. I have only been hunting 3 seasons, so I understand that I don't know half as much as most of you guys on here. That said, I believe I have been fairly pretty successful for being at it such a short time, and I have never once used a trail camera. I have been considering trying to use one or a few, but I am torn about it.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:09 pm

Brad wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:While I don’t care for the “book” aspect of B&C I respect them and they do a lot for the hunting community. I don’t care for the whole “who cares if it’s legal” mess. It’s my opinion that what is legal has nothing to do with right/wrong or what’s best for the wildlife. Instead it has everything to do with how much money corporate tycoons will lobby to make something legal. Try this… go sleep with your buddies wife and if caught just say who cares it’s legal! If he gets mad he must just be jealous or have his head in the clouds.

I completely respect that comment.
My question then is, if cell cameras cross the line... do regular trail cameras cross the line too?

Regular cams don’t cross my line. I use them the most in the summer or in places I don’t even hunt during the season. Suspect they cross some hunters line. I understand that and am fine doing away with that type stuff especially on public grounds. I mean you take small acreage public like around me. If every hunter put out 4 or 5 cams there would be a camera on every tree. Heck I couldn’t even take a leak in privacy. I’m just giving my opinion on the subject. I think enough is enough. But others have their opinions to and that’s cool. But I believe this is one big reason hunters can’t ever get a long. One side is never content, they constantly need something else.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:10 pm

I’m a little surprised by all the distaste for B&C and P&Y here. I have always aspired to hunt trophy animals that ended up in the club’s books and still do. It’s not all about that, but it’s good to have goals and organizations to set up and maintain standards. I think it’s a great way to preserve records and the club’s contribute so much to our sport.

I think about the early greats that made the P&Y club what it is today, the likes of Fred Bear and Glenn St Charles. They must have had the same debates and grappled with the same issues over personal aircraft. I totally understand the need for drawing a line in the sand and continually updating the rules as technology and hunting evolves.

I don’t see where there would be any incentive for the club’s to behave in some of the nefariously outlined ways I have heard stories on like here. But, like anything, there are humans involved and we all know humans are sinful, and deceitful at times.

One thing I did want to add is that measurers are volunteers. They aren’t getting paid to spend an hour sitting there giving you that score on a whitetail buck. They will encourage you to enter it in the books and pay a fee, because that is how the club continues. In full disclosure, I’ve been studying to become a measurer for P&Y. I assisted in a measuring event last year that was all day, a full 8 hours of volunteered time. It’s ironic to me that someone will wait hours to get their buck scored by an official measurer, but then not want to pay a measly $40 to enter it permanently into the records. Obviously the score was important to them, and enough that they went out of their way to wait in line for an official measurer. Just an interesting observation.

P&Y recently closed their location in Chatfield due to ongoing costs. Sad, but a good decision for the club.
James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:24 pm

I’ll share a quick story from the other side of the coin on the measurer side just for some juxtaposition. At the last measuring event I was at, a young gentlemen brought in a gorgeous whitetail buck. I can’t remember the official score, but I believe it made B&C net. It was big. I wasn’t the one scoring it. I was working on another that just made the book!

The young man said he would like to enter the buck. He went through his entry form and got to the fair chase affidavit. There is a section on search and recovery. If you did not recover the animal the same day you need to include a full write up of the circumstances. In this case he stated that he had shot the buck earlier in the fall, and then later recovered the deer during gun season (found it). The official measurer asked him, well did you continue to hunt for a buck in between shooting it and the recovery and he stated that he did (indicating the search was abandoned). In this case the rules are clear the animal cannot be entered into the record book unfortunately. Like it or not, this was the situation.

This young man appeared to be a really solid person. He did not do anything wrong ethically in my opinion. But rules are rules. You could imagine the same sort of situation where perhaps someone uses a long recovery period in hopes they might kill a bigger buck, etc. It doesn't take much imagination to see why the rule around abandoned search needs to exist.

In any case, both sides were incredibly gracious in the exchange. The measurer REALLY felt for this kid and was super bummed he couldn’t put it in the books for him. The kid was bummed, but understood. He and his dad stayed a while and chatted more. I believe the kid actually had another great buck he had shot with his rifle or maybe a different bow season and he did enter that one! Can’t remember if same season or not.

Anyways, wanted to share that perspective. You could see where that story morphs and a jaded individual starts throwing some shade at the entire situation.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:54 am

Brad wrote:I have a question for the guys who have consistently and successfully killed mature bucks.
I don't want anyone to take it the wrong way, because it is NOT in any way intended to take anything away from anybody's success. I'm sure there are some who wish not to answer the question honestly, and that's ok. If you think the question is out of line, let me know, as I am always open to constructive criticism.

How many of the mature bucks or trophy bucks that you have you've killed were killed with any type of assistance of trail cameras, including even minimal use of cameras or indirect assistance killing a buck because of cameras?

I'd love to hear what you all have to say about this, and again, it is for information, not to take anything away. I have only been hunting 3 seasons, so I understand that I don't know half as much as most of you guys on here. That said, I believe I have been fairly pretty successful for being at it such a short time, and I have never once used a trail camera. I have been considering trying to use one or a few, but I am torn about it.

My last buck I shot last September... I 1st saw it about 4 years ago. Then I put out a camera. Got a few pictures a year of it. I used a cell cams cause it was so remote. and they did tell me when the deer was out there, vut always exactly when he was out there... "to late" info... Cause he rarely did the same thing 2 days in a row. I shot him a long ways from where I usually ran the camera. The main thing the camera did for me was help me understand how that buck and all bucks in that area used the wind, what time of day and night they traveled, which direction they tended to travel, and that the buck I was after still existed. The only real thing the camera did to help me kill the deer was to keep me motivated, and make me want to be out there hunting.

The buck I got the year before was on Daves farm where I iften ran cameras, but generally not cell cams, I like cell cams on public cause when they get stole I see it get stole and can beat the thief to the parking lot. Anywho, I got one picture of the buck I shot 2 years ago at Daves. However I did not see the picture till after I shot the buck. The camera helped me understand timing and movement in one area of the farm. I learned from the pic of that buck, but it in no way helped me kill it... Matter of fact, I often think about how much putting those cameras out hurts my success, its a balancing act... Getting intel vs getting your scent out there in spots that tip off the deer, I would also say the cameras themselves spook a lot of deer, and I personally believe cameras cost more deer than they get for the average hunter...

I use cameras every year, but the only deer I recall off hand that I ever got from using a trail camera was at the D'Aquisto petting zoo... He had cameras every where and I checked one on a food plot and saw a nice buck was on the cam 3 out of the last 5 days in daylight and set right up figuring if he came in he would smell my scent and leave. So same day hunt as the cam check and he showed up and I shot him. It was a just off wind and I pushed it and the buck was spooky when I shot it. It was no gimmy...

For the most part cameras tell me a deer exists... They don't shoot it for me, they don't give me the perceived huge advantage, often they hurt more than they help... For example, I thought putting a cell cam over a buck bed would be a n easy way to kill the buck, maybe to easy, but... Actually try it sometime. LOL. Bucks shift beds a lot and move often and beds are set up so you have a hard time getting close, and bucks do not like intrusion on there bedding areas and notice a camera hanging there... You ruin a pretty good bedding area pretty quick putting a camera over a bed... I have found you can sometimes get away with a camera on the exit trail of a bedding area if its hidden well and placed far in advance of when you expect the buck to bed there... Because deer enter beds from different directions based on wind and therms, getting them going in to bed is very difficult. Add the fact that most buck bedding areas have 20 or more beds, and you gotta have luck to capture him in the exact bed you want... Keep in mind in order to learn about all this failure, you have to be a good enough hunter to scout and understand what your looking at and find these situations to even put a camera there... In other words, it takes skill to kill a deer using a trail cam... Again, its main function is to tell you the deer exists in the area so you can have goals, dreams, and motivation... Look at all my bucks, and 1 was shot cause of camera info, and it was not a cell cam, despite me usually having one or 2 cams running. Other than that, for me I learn so much about deer behavior that its a great teacher for me...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”