Era's starting and ending

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

oldrank

Era's starting and ending

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:22 pm

Funny how things move so fast in the hunting community. I always think of it as being the next great thing. We had Fred Bear, recurve bows morphed into the compound era. Compounds turned into crossbows.

2x4s turned into treestands, boards n ladders tuned into climbing steps. Then climbers and climbing sticks.

We had Dan Fitzgerald, Noel Feather... to Realtree outdoors, to Dan Infalt.

Building buck beds was the hottest thing since sliced bread in this state 15 years ago. Then it turned into hunting buck beds, The Hunting Public, Ranch Ferry. Now days it's saddle hunting and one sticking. Seems to be alot of following the leader going on, but I think there always has been.

Me personally I miss the tactics days of yester-year. That seems to be fading fast. I guess it's OK because I was there during the glory days of it. I wonder what will be the next big thing.

I do find the "weight wars" rather entertaining...but if I see one more youtube video of someone showing how they saddle hunt I might puke. Kinda feel the same about the .5 vs The Beast stand.... I got it after the first 100 videos.... Just random thoughts on a Saturday night.

stash59

Re: Era's starting and ending

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:30 am

The only sure thing in life is... change!!!!!

But I tend to agree! Hunting was simpler when killing a deer. Any deer!! Was regarded as a huge and noble accomplishment! Especially with archery gear!! Now a days if your not killing a mature buck with high scoring antlers! It's like you haven't really hunted at all!!! And aren't a true hardcore hunter!! And if your aren't filming it all. Your for sure a nobody!!!

If your not wearing the latest greatest technologically advanced perfectly matched set of camo clothes! With matching bow!!! Your looked down as backward!!!! And out of touch with things!!

Now not saying the Hunting Beast. And Beast members are this way. But the general hunting community is!!!!!! Kinda sad!!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Bentstraight

Unread postby Bentstraight » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:22 am

oldrank wrote:Funny how things move so fast in the hunting community. I always think of it as being the next great thing. We had Fred Bear, recurve bows morphed into the compound era. Compounds turned into crossbows.

2x4s turned into treestands, boards n ladders tuned into climbing steps. Then climbers and climbing sticks.

We had Dan Fitzgerald, Noel Feather... to Realtree outdoors, to Dan Infalt.

Building buck beds was the hottest thing since sliced bread in this state 15 years ago. Then it turned into hunting buck beds, The Hunting Public, Ranch Ferry. Now days it's saddle hunting and one sticking. Seems to be alot of following the leader going on, but I think there always has been.

Me personally I miss the tactics days of yester-year. That seems to be fading fast. I guess it's OK because I was there during the glory days of it. I wonder what will be the next big thing.
I do find the "weight wars" rather entertaining...but if I see one more youtube video of someone showing how they saddle hunt I might puke. Kinda feel the same about the .5 vs The Beast stand.... I got it after the first 100 videos.... Just random thoughts on a Saturday night.

I am the same. People hike the entire 2200 mile applalcian trail with 25 lb packs, but tell a hunter he has to carry 25lbs of gear 2 miles into the woods, and all the sudden its like an impossible task.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:01 am

stash59 wrote:The only sure thing in life is... change!!!!!

But I tend to agree! Hunting was simpler when killing a deer. Any deer!! Was regarded as a huge and noble accomplishment! Especially with archery gear!! Now a days if your not killing a mature buck with high scoring antlers! It's like you haven't really hunted at all!!! And aren't a true hardcore hunter!! And if your aren't filming it all. Your for sure a nobody!!!

If your not wearing the latest greatest technologically advanced perfectly matched set of camo clothes! With matching bow!!! Your looked down as backward!!!! And out of touch with things!!

Now not saying the Hunting Beast. And Beast members are this way. But the general hunting community is!!!!!! Kinda sad!!!!

Exactly... sometimes a guy just wants to hunt. It's always been tough for me to idolize other hunters or the latest trends. I got sucked into the archery shop scene in the mid 90s. I had an old Bear Whitetail II and could shoot it as good as anyone. I watched folks trade in their bows every few months for the next greatest thing and for a minute joined that crowd because my bow wasn't good enough. It didn't take me long to realize that wasn't what it was about for me and since that point I've always tried to stay away from that mentality. I'm sure I'm missing out on somethings but it is just how I am.

I respect a few celebrity hunters but try not to idolize them because it always seems the end game is going to be them trying to sell me something. The lines between my hunting reality and theirs may be extremely different. I make buying decisions off of my own knowledge, needs and research.

Again as you said not specifically talking about any folks here. I don't fault folks who are making a living in the industry with things that are used or needed. Some folks are innovators.

What I do find as a turn off are the guys who bounce around every forum or Facebook group trying so hard to be an expert or burning bridge after bridge in search of some type of fame in this world. If that is what hunting was about to me I would quit. Even then I have gotten sucked into it a bit and had to back track to humble myself.

Broad heads also make me shake my head. Really ? Yes Really, just think of how many different designs there have been in the last 30 years. Now we are back to the heavy is better stage. I just want to be able to buy the same broadhead for more than 2 or 3 seasons...

I guess if I had to make a point with this thread it is be careful if your a new hunter or get sucked into following the crowd. This world moves fast. Some new things are great and push us forward but many are flash in the pan and just move money from one pocket and into another. If I had to guess most of the next greatest things will soon be lost things of the past....probably sooner than later.
sloughdog

Unread postby sloughdog » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:04 am

Pretty cool timeline you spelled out Oldrank…took me back to me killing my very first deer at 14yo all alone in a wooden treestand I built prior to the season. Really didn’t have anyone to show me how to hunt and still figuring that out 30yrs later lol!

I don’t know what’s next…maybe jet packs taking us into any tree we want? Some kind of mechanical stand that climbs tree for us? It’s really just a bunch of the same things re-invented, repackaged and/or advertising.
It’s easy to get caught up in all the tech but it still boils down to woodsmanship to be consistent.
Out of necessity, I had to ground hunt a lot this year and I found myself loving it…the simplicity of it and mobility factor is awesome.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:03 am

Just gotta get back to hunting for yourself. I switched to a crossbow because I wanted to, use the gear I want to, mismatch camo, shoot spikes and does, and I’m happier than ever. Actually since my give a left the room, ive shot 2 of my best bucks as well. All the while laughing because my decisions probably offend someone. Just gotta do what you want and live life. Society is too sensitive and getting their panties in a wad over what someone else does. Live your life. Chase your dreams. Nobody else is gonna do it for you.

Hunters kill deer. Weapons and gear don’t kill deer.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:24 am

Jonny wrote:Just gotta get back to hunting for yourself. I switched to a crossbow because I wanted to, use the gear I want to, mismatch camo, shoot spikes and does, and I’m happier than ever. Actually since my give a left the room, ive shot 2 of my best bucks as well. All the while laughing because my decisions probably offend someone. Just gotta do what you want and live life. Society is too sensitive and getting their panties in a wad over what someone else does. Live your life. Chase your dreams. Nobody else is gonna do it for you.

Hunters kill deer. Weapons and gear don’t kill deer.

Amen Jonny... and you know I've always respected you for just doing what you do. I like shooting big bucks as much as the next guy, but that don't mean I won't smack down a 3 point if I feel like it that day. My trigger finger was born itchy.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:35 am

stash59 wrote:The only sure thing in life is... change!!!!!

Nah…it’s only that way if you give a crap what others think!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:04 pm

I recall those days could wait to get up next morning and ride to army surplus stores. Get some of camo and good pair of lace up boots.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:03 pm

I actually think a lot of the old school tactics are coming back around. Lots of guys building there own bows, learning how to process there own meat, leaning to hunt is getting popular again, public land hunting is getting popular again... Its just at the same time, the newest, latest, and greatest craze's make a lot of noise and seem to over shadow the rest... Really, what does any of it matter? Hunting is an alone thing, and we can all chose to hunt the way we want... I do often think it would be fun to just go back to my teenage years of deer hunting to shoot deer... Any deer... More shooting, more fun, etc... But when you get down to it, I advanced past that phase to increase the challenge and excitement, and you can never go back. It would not be the same as it was then. But its nice to dream.... Those were some of the funnest days of my life, dirt poor running thru the woods with beat up old equipment that half worked just thrilled to get an opportunity, any opportunity.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:53 pm

dan wrote:I actually think a lot of the old school tactics are coming back around. Lots of guys building there own bows, learning how to process there own meat, leaning to hunt is getting popular again, public land hunting is getting popular again... Its just at the same time, the newest, latest, and greatest craze's make a lot of noise and seem to over shadow the rest... Really, what does any of it matter? Hunting is an alone thing, and we can all chose to hunt the way we want... I do often think it would be fun to just go back to my teenage years of deer hunting to shoot deer... Any deer... More shooting, more fun, etc... But when you get down to it, I advanced past that phase to increase the challenge and excitement, and you can never go back. It would not be the same as it was then. But its nice to dream.... Those were some of the funnest days of my life, dirt poor running thru the woods with beat up old equipment that half worked just thrilled to get an opportunity, any opportunity.

I agree Dan. We all like to dream of the days gone by. If some how we were able to just time warp back there we would probably laugh at some of that equipment and tactics.... lol. They are probably much greater and funner in our heads than they would be to 50 year old men !!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:09 am

oldrank wrote:
dan wrote:I actually think a lot of the old school tactics are coming back around. Lots of guys building there own bows, learning how to process there own meat, leaning to hunt is getting popular again, public land hunting is getting popular again... Its just at the same time, the newest, latest, and greatest craze's make a lot of noise and seem to over shadow the rest... Really, what does any of it matter? Hunting is an alone thing, and we can all chose to hunt the way we want... I do often think it would be fun to just go back to my teenage years of deer hunting to shoot deer... Any deer... More shooting, more fun, etc... But when you get down to it, I advanced past that phase to increase the challenge and excitement, and you can never go back. It would not be the same as it was then. But its nice to dream.... Those were some of the funnest days of my life, dirt poor running thru the woods with beat up old equipment that half worked just thrilled to get an opportunity, any opportunity.

I agree Dan. We all like to dream of the days gone by. If some how we were able to just time warp back there we would probably laugh at some of that equipment and tactics.... lol. They are probably much greater and funner in our heads than they would be to 50 year old men !!!

Your post reminded me of an old hand me down compound I bought at a rummage sale for $3. Back in those days the risers were made of wood and the arrow rest was plastic and glued onto the wood... Shortly after getting it I took a shot and the feathers ripped off the arrow rest and sent it sailing to somewhere never to be found... I pounded a finishing nail into the bow as an arrow rest and bent it till I got acceptable arrow flight... I actually killed quite a few deer with that set up... But the one hunt that stands out in my memory was when I was in a tree over feild where I had noticed fresh sign and a big lone doe walked out at 10 yards offering the perfect shot... The bow had a creek to it and when I pulled back the deer would always look at me... As she staired up at the creaky bowman I was at full draw in a cant miss situation when the bow string popped off the compound wheels making a loud noise and a lot of movement... There I sat with my busted $3 bow and the dow litterally flicked its tail and went back to feeding as if it knew I was no threat...
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:53 am

I remember the bow shop craze. I had friends that complained about not having money and having a tougher life than I did. But you didn’t see me getting a new 700-1000$ bow every season :lol:

Personally I think all the advertisements go more unnoticed unless you are struggling hard to reach your goals or have a few bad seasons. Then it’s easy in your mind to say “oh man if I had this” I have done this on occasion myself but for the most part I’ve spent my life dreaming of acquiring all these big new things. Generally by the time I get ahold of something it is 2nd or 3rd in line to something else bigger and better.

When you’re very confident in what you’re doing it’s easy to ignore the trends and sexy gear. Don’t fix what ain’t broke
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:13 am

Yeah I don't care what others think of me! But it's tiring. When meeting some new people/friends. And if 1 or 2 hunt! The conversation more then often goes to gear 1st!! And antler score next!!! Then often food plots! Now those things are ok! But not in my mind as the most important topics. To fit the way my hunting life is right now!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:22 am

stash59 wrote:Yeah I don't care what others think of me! But it's tiring. When meeting some new people/friends. And if 1 or 2 hunt! The conversation more then often goes to gear 1st!! And antler score next!!! Then often food plots! Now those things are ok! But not in my mind as the most important topics. To fit the way my hunting life is right now!!!

When I meet hunters I tend to say things like "How about that weather?" or "Did you hear what Biden did?" Then when they say "Whats your take on scent control?" I come back with "Who are you? Do I know you?, SECURITY"....

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”