2022 scouting thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: 2022 scouting thread

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:36 am

20220426_123759.jpg
20220426_124709.jpg
20220426_125346.jpg
20220426_125535.jpg

Good day, found a good communal scrape near bedding right on a vegetation edge. Got a spot between bedding and the scrape on the ground, great access, they won't know what hit them!!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:30 pm

It's bitter sweet. Spring scouting is over for me. Turkey hunters are in the woods, and so are the ticks! Everything is greening up, and last year's sign is fading away. I'm content with what I have got done. There is always new ground to cover, but I don't want to spread myself out too thin, and I think it would be diminishing returns at this point.

I went in the basement today and touched up a few of my broadheads. Sometimes I wander down there and just look at my gear, pick up one of my Beast sticks and admire it.... ahhh it's going to be a long summer. :lol:

20220426_201128.jpg

20220426_201039.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
resolutetackle

Unread postby resolutetackle » Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:52 pm

I have as much fun scouting as I do with bow in hand. Something about picking a spot on the map and then finding the sign to back it up!
Dellingerj
Facebook: Jacob and Katasha Dellinger

Unread postby Dellingerj » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:36 am

Found several good bedding areas the other day. All were monitoring trails and access one bed was less than 70 yds from the road. Got to love the overlooked spots.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:53 am

Finally lost our snow last week! :dance:

Scouted a new section of my favorite area and put a few more pieces of the puzzle together. First ticks of the year!

20220428_184958.jpg

20220428_193829.jpg

20220428_194622.jpg
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun May 01, 2022 12:55 am

Yesterday I checked out a new area. I walked about 6 miles. Found 4 ladder stands. Each one located in a place of interest I E-scouted. The one bummed me out. Text book point going out into a thick nasty swamp. Bunch of trails, bed right at the tip but no buck sign which I thought was strange. As I worked my way around I started looking for a place to setup and there it was. Huge ladder stand with a blind around the top. He even had his deer cart chained to a tree next to it. No wonder there was no buck sign. This was over a mile from any access. It's illegal to leave stands in PA after the season. I really hate entitled hunters that act like they own public land. Doing that claims a spot you may only hunt a few days a year. The only good thing about it is now I know not to waste my time there.

The good thing about the trip was predicting where a bed would be and finding a couple. I never could do that before. It gives me more confidence. I'm still struggling to determine buck vs doe beds and where they will be in different terrain.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun May 01, 2022 2:50 am

Yoder wrote:Yesterday I checked out a new area. I walked about 6 miles. Found 4 ladder stands. Each one located in a place of interest I E-scouted. The one bummed me out. Text book point going out into a thick nasty swamp. Bunch of trails, bed right at the tip but no buck sign which I thought was strange. As I worked my way around I started looking for a place to setup and there it was. Huge ladder stand with a blind around the top. He even had his deer cart chained to a tree next to it. No wonder there was no buck sign. This was over a mile from any access. It's illegal to leave stands in PA after the season. I really hate entitled hunters that act like they own public land. Doing that claims a spot you may only hunt a few days a year. The only good thing about it is now I know not to waste my time there.

The good thing about the trip was predicting where a bed would be and finding a couple. I never could do that before. It gives me more confidence. I'm still struggling to determine buck vs doe beds and where they will be in different terrain.

This is a sore spot for me, I simply cant just move on or work around illegal stands for some reason. I have to either call the warden or cut the straps & pile their litter up at the base of the tree. It just bugs me to no end, I realize this is a strategy employed by some public land hunters to discourage people from hunting prime areas, but it is still illegal.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 01, 2022 3:38 am

Swedishbowhunter wrote:
Yoder wrote:Yesterday I checked out a new area. I walked about 6 miles. Found 4 ladder stands. Each one located in a place of interest I E-scouted. The one bummed me out. Text book point going out into a thick nasty swamp. Bunch of trails, bed right at the tip but no buck sign which I thought was strange. As I worked my way around I started looking for a place to setup and there it was. Huge ladder stand with a blind around the top. He even had his deer cart chained to a tree next to it. No wonder there was no buck sign. This was over a mile from any access. It's illegal to leave stands in PA after the season. I really hate entitled hunters that act like they own public land. Doing that claims a spot you may only hunt a few days a year. The only good thing about it is now I know not to waste my time there.

This is a sore spot for me, I simply cant just move on or work around illegal stands for some reason. I have to either call the warden or cut the straps & pile their litter up at the base of the tree. It just bugs me to no end, I realize this is a strategy employed by some public land hunters to discourage people from hunting prime areas, but it is still illegal.

Same here. This is actually the first winter/spring I haven’t found a single illegal stand. Finally got all the trash cleaned up or removed. Haven’t had to contact a warden for a few years now. That’s a step in the right direction. We all have to do our part. If it’s illegal do something about it.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun May 01, 2022 8:13 am

Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Same here. This is actually the first winter/spring I haven’t found a single illegal stand. Finally got all the trash cleaned up or removed. Haven’t had to contact a warden for a few years now. That’s a step in the right direction. We all have to do our part. If it’s illegal do something about it.

Come to think of it, I really didnt pick up nearly as much garbage left in the woods by slobs this year. Other years I easily filled my backpack with ribbons, cans, wrappers, empty tinks cans, water bottles etc. I made 1 call to the warden about some illegal baiting, but other than that things were much better this year, maybe I was just scouting better places!!!
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun May 01, 2022 8:34 am

Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Are Wardens pretty responsive to this? I figured they had better things to do. I could point out about 20 illegal ladder stands right now. I found 10 in the last month and I know probably 10 more that have been there for several years.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun May 01, 2022 8:56 am

Yoder wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Are Wardens pretty responsive to this? I figured they had better things to do. I could point out about 20 illegal ladder stands right now. I found 10 in the last month and I know probably 10 more that have been there for several years.

Every single time I called one in I was thanked for the info and shortly after the stands were gone.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun May 01, 2022 9:30 am

Dewey wrote:
Yoder wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Swedishbowhunter wrote:

Every single time I called one in I was thanked for the info and shortly after the stands were gone.

It's always worth it to do something. It's OUR LAND.

A call or email or drop it to the base of tree. GPS coordinates are such a change for conservation agents . They can walk straight to the issue and not rely on a country roadmap. Fourth tree after the abandoned Buick, turn left for a ridge or two....
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Sun May 01, 2022 12:02 pm

I just looked up the number. I'll call Monday. I was looking at OnX and I have about 10 stands that I know for sure are still there. I'll even offer to help take some of them out. What do they do with the stands? I would be cool if they donated them. I would like to see them go to new hunters or possibly veterans.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Sun May 01, 2022 1:55 pm

Yoder wrote:I just looked up the number. I'll call Monday. I was looking at OnX and I have about 10 stands that I know for sure are still there. I'll even offer to help take some of them out. What do they do with the stands? I would be cool if they donated them. I would like to see them go to new hunters or possibly veterans.

Yes wardens are usually very appreciative. I had the idea a while back that a local sporting club could host a public land clean up and for every illegal stand brought in they would get an entry into winning a prize, & then donate the stands to new hunters or people that couldnt afford them. I was told there was too much liability giving out used tree stands.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun May 01, 2022 4:51 pm

resolutetackle wrote:I have as much fun scouting as I do with bow in hand. Something about picking a spot on the map and then finding the sign to back it up!

Yep. Feels similar to putting a nice deposit in your bank account. It never gets old ;)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”