2022 scouting thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: 2022 scouting thread

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:37 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:20220805_083008.jpg

I think this guy will do all things considered. It is in the ultimate fat chick spot and if I do manage to get him there is no way to hide it. Once and done lol

Looks like a 2 year old in neck and face another year and he will be a much better buck. Still not a bad deer if you get a chance at him.

My back is beyond messed up so if I get a crack at him I'm taking it!!!!!

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:07 pm

Say cheese!
76006496-4961-45AB-9919-FBB7F1A7275C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Strategically Inefficient
515Raven

Unread postby 515Raven » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Stingray713 wrote:Say cheese! 76006496-4961-45AB-9919-FBB7F1A7275C.jpeg

That’s exciting
Jimimacck

Unread postby Jimimacck » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:32 pm

Got a late start on preseason scouting. Found some basket rack 8s and this one nice 10. I missed this 10 last year and seeing him now makes me sorta glad I did.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:32 pm

Finally got some time to scout (without my kids tagging along) and looked at the weather. RAIN. I said screw it and threw on the rain gear. I hung a cam then went to a piece of public and re-hashed a set up I had picked out. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. PHENOMENAL rut spot. Major scrape line ran right past it the last 2 years.

Only problem is it’s not the best wind wise (it’s decent) but I really have no other choice. It’s either that or give them a free pass and that ain’t happening. I’ll be in the action there’s no doubt about that.

On top of that I got my cattail access trail tromped down too. I don’t know if my rain gear sucks or if I sweated through my clothes… probably a combination of both. But I was soaked to the bone.

The access trail and having that tree prepped made it all worth it.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:38 am

Lockdown wrote:Finally got some time to scout (without my kids tagging along) and looked at the weather. RAIN. I said screw it and threw on the rain gear. I hung a cam then went to a piece of public and re-hashed a set up I had picked out. The more I looked at it the more I liked it. PHENOMENAL rut spot. Major scrape line ran right past it the last 2 years.

Only problem is it’s not the best wind wise (it’s decent) but I really have no other choice. It’s either that or give them a free pass and that ain’t happening. I’ll be in the action there’s no doubt about that.

On top of that I got my cattail access trail tromped down too. I don’t know if my rain gear sucks or if I sweated through my clothes… probably a combination of both. But I was soaked to the bone.

The access trail and having that tree prepped made it all worth it.

Awesome, hope it pans out for ya and we see a grip and grin in a few months!!!!
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:50 am

The majority of my cameras are on known doe bedding come fall so it's kinda slow this time of year. I have one cameras next to a cornfield but it's got beans near by so that's where the buck are. I also have cameras near where I was glassing previous years to cut back on driving. Also am monitoring a few creek and road crossings and rut funnels. I got dates from a few years now I can move again so we will see what historical data gets me. Also paying real close attention to moon, wind, and weather I'm having sightings on this year and I'm already starting to see a correlation. Deer are seeming to use certain areas based on conditions because there is food everywhere so that's not a real drawing factor this time of year. I have about 30 cameras out and I'm getting alot good data and my notebook is already half full. This is the smartest I ever hunted and not disturbing areas with huge lanes and a ladder stand. Gonna be a hole in the woods!!!!
nsmith253

Unread postby nsmith253 » Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:42 am

Embraced the suck yesterday. Drove just under an hour to swap two cards for the first time this summer, Never ran cameras before and picked up two 3-packs of cheap wildgame innovations on that were closeout last winter to try. Humidity was oppressive, half mile each way on both spots through thorns and thick, and no breeze to keep the bugs down. The forecasted downpour I had planned to go in before to wash some scent away came early on the way out of the second spot and was soaking wet by the time I got back to the truck although I was already sweating through everything anyway.

I put these two cameras out in late June in new spots I scouted this spring, and both only took pictures for 12-14 hours after I set them the first evening and then stopped working. I had a pics of 4 different deer including a buck coming back to bed the next morning and that was it--over a month of sitting there doing absolutely nothing. I have another one from the same batch out in a different spot and I'm guessing it will be the same deal. Very frustrated, I had set them all up in the house and ran them for a few hours to make sure they were triggering and taking photos but I didn't let them run multiple days. I scouted my off this spring so I'm not too worried about it, the sign was there in these new spots and I have other spots to fall back on, just was really excited to see what was in there and don't like wasting my time/gas money. Will be contacting WGI to see if I can warranty them
Nate
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:57 am

@nsmith253, I've had been luck with WGI cameras. I don't use cameras much but I've learned to avoid that brand.

I went out in the rain and humidity yesterday to move a camera to a new location. I was bummed by the previous spot's results. I had it over a summer scrape, but saw not a single buck. A handful of does and racoons seemed to enjoy using the scrape, and also had coyotes and a fox. I guess I found yet another place not to hunt *shrug*.
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:26 am

Last night I was glassing when all the Trump mess occurred. Saw one really nice buck and six does.

Glassing is going really good this year I've located a handful of mature bucks I'd be happy to take.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:33 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Last night I was glassing when all the Trump mess occurred. Saw one really nice buck and six does.

Glassing is going really good this year I've located a handful of mature bucks I'd be happy to take.

Awesome!!!!! Hope to see a grip and grin in a few months.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:38 am

I just got home from a ten day stint in southern iowa. I spent the better part of a week and a half camping, scouting public land, and knocking on doors for permission. I was able to obtain just shy of a thousand acres of private ground throughout my unit, distributed between 4 different properties. With that being said, most of it is mediocre, but one of the farms in a cattle farm that is surrounded by agriculture, and looks like it’ll setup as a great rut property.
Also, I was able to find some really good areas on public, and bumped a number of really good bucks off of different pieces. I’m total, I’d say I walked into 15 different chunks of public, and have narrowed things down to three areas in which I think I could kill a really good deer based on the difficulty of access, and terrain/habitat.
Although I have a lot of hunting to do before I head back to iowa in November, I’m pretty dang excited.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:38 pm

Went glassing tonight didn't see a single deer.

I guess like October they got a room at the Deerfield inn hotel. :lol:
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Thesouthpaw wrote:I just got home from a ten day stint in southern iowa. I spent the better part of a week and a half camping, scouting public land, and knocking on doors for permission. I was able to obtain just shy of a thousand acres of private ground throughout my unit, distributed between 4 different properties. With that being said, most of it is mediocre, but one of the farms in a cattle farm that is surrounded by agriculture, and looks like it’ll setup as a great rut property.
Also, I was able to find some really good areas on public, and bumped a number of really good bucks off of different pieces. I’m total, I’d say I walked into 15 different chunks of public, and have narrowed things down to three areas in which I think I could kill a really good deer based on the difficulty of access, and terrain/habitat.
Although I have a lot of hunting to do before I head back to iowa in November, I’m pretty dang excited.

Sounds really good. Good luck out there!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:30 pm

Thesouthpaw wrote:I just got home from a ten day stint in southern iowa. I spent the better part of a week and a half camping, scouting public land, and knocking on doors for permission. I was able to obtain just shy of a thousand acres of private ground throughout my unit, distributed between 4 different properties. With that being said, most of it is mediocre, but one of the farms in a cattle farm that is surrounded by agriculture, and looks like it’ll setup as a great rut property.

That’s some pretty good work right there my man, looking forward to updates
Strategically Inefficient

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”