2022 scouting thread

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Usi05

Re: 2022 scouting thread

Unread postby Usi05 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Cameras haven’t picked up any of the shooters I had marked last year but I’m not concerned. Food changes and deer move. Going to trust in my spring and summer scouting.

Now that I have an elk down and trip is over I’m excited to hit archery season for opener next weekend and start chasing the big boys again in

-db-

Unread postby -db- » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:31 pm

Strange encounters on public land...I'm about 4 miles into what would become an 8-mile scouting day, in the middle of nowhere in one of MI Lower Peninsula's most remote forests, when I stop to take a break and sit on a log crossing the path. I'm drinking water and hear something behind me, turn and watch a late teens/early 20s couple, in street clothes, walking a dog, come walking out of super thick brush, apparently blazing their own trail perpendicular to the path I was on, just 10 feet from me, get on the path and pass by, mumbling nothing but "She's a good girl", referring to their dog which I petted as they passed. They didn't look me in the eye nor say anything else and continued on their way, going deeper still into the forest. I don't know if they were as astounded as I was or what, but I suspect they were either "fooling around" out there and/or were smoking dope or something like that due to how shy they were. I have no idea what they were doing there miles from any parking or campsite at 10 in the morning on a weekday, didn't see them again once I continued.
Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person. - Fred Bear

@upnorthoutdoors989
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:44 am

8F58DE4D-A1CE-4ED0-A7FF-12A2DD0E8E9E.jpeg

Looking forward to catching up with this guy. I’ve watched him 3 years now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:13 pm

Twenty Up wrote:8F58DE4D-A1CE-4ED0-A7FF-12A2DD0E8E9E.jpeg

Yeah, that'll work!

Good luck getting on him.

Is this the first time you're hunting him hard? What"s your approach?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:28 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
Twenty Up wrote:8F58DE4D-A1CE-4ED0-A7FF-12A2DD0E8E9E.jpeg

Yeah, that'll work!

Good luck getting on him.

Is this the first time you're hunting him hard? What"s your approach?

Thank you!

I casually hunted him last year. I focused more on killing his running mate, a 7+ year old 7pt which is the buck in my Avatar picture.

I’ve got 2 cell cameras on scrapes near his bedding areas that are adjacent to saddles and located in oak flats.
Typically they’ll start transitioning to acorns around Oct 9 here and I’ll start seeing them daily. Generally around late October they’ll daylight more on this farm I lease.

It’s a small cattle farm. These deer don’t bed on it, so I’m at the mercy of the acorns and rut to bring them to me.
Very different style of hunting than having thousands of acres of public land to chase them. I am enjoying figuring them out and setting a “trap” in advance. The trap is a mock scrape in an oak flat that’s connecting bedding to food. I’ll use saddles, benches and points in the topography to sweeten it up when applicable.
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 am

I just got a nice buck on camera at 8:30 am out in the open. It's close to some thick stuff where I think they are bedding. I just thought it was really odd to see what looks like a 4yr old buck that late in the open. What time do you guys typically see bucks go to bedding this time of year? It's about 100 yards from a corn field. Season opens Saturday. Hope he's still hanging around.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:11 am

Between 5:30 and 6:30
Strategically Inefficient
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Today I explored a hard to get to area. Only 200 yards from parking to hunting area BUT,
Major cliff face and after dropping down it, you are standing at a 35 yard stream crossing that may or may not work with my hip boots.

It will be an option after boots on the ground but any big rain storm will shut it down. and probably for the year.
I did spot a buck sneaking away. So the idea of safety in this spot must be true. Puzzle pieces made sense but needed to see it.
Season has been going 2 weeks and have seen a lot of ground. Bumping deer in expected spots. High hopes.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Danny boy

Unread postby Danny boy » Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:35 am

Well that’s it for my deer season of 2022. I went out today and still hunted/scouted some out of reach areas. I found some good sign and big rubs. I found this historical rub 6 years ago. It was not used do to some of the branches growing out. I trimmed it back this spring and it is getting used again. I’m not sure what if means. A community rub?. Just a nice tree to rub? . I thought it was pretty cool it’s getting reused. It’s kind of in a central hub of transitions. But out in the open marsh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”