Second year hunter question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greg728

Second year hunter question

Unread postby greg728 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am

Last year was my first year archery hunting and while I saw deer and was close to a shot I've yet to fill a tag. Last night I watched a public land hunt on YouTube and was pretty shaken up from what I saw. I understand we're hunting and the desired end result is to make a kill, but the way this deer died was very graphic and extremely difficult to watch. Projectile blood from its mouth, just standing there stuggling to breathe but it wouldn't go down. It looked like a double lung shot from what I saw. My question is how common is it that they're spewing blood like that and just not going down after a well placed shot in its vitals? And how does everyone cope with seeing things like this? Most of the videos I see after a shot the deer runs for about 50 yards or so and collapses relatively quickly so I had the impression that's what the majority of double lung or heart shots would be like. I know there's going to be gut shots on occasion and I may lose a deer but I just wanted to know if it's usually a really graphic and painful thing to watch. Even though I'm looking to harvest them I really respect them as animals and want to prevent as much suffering as possible.

austin1990
500 Club

Re: Second year hunter question

Unread postby austin1990 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:13 pm

It's a very rare occurrence, majority of the time they will run out of sight and die, enless you spine shoot one, then you want to get a second arrow in them quick. I hate to see anything suffer, but unfortunately no matter how much you practice, shooting at an animal Is a different situation all together, and stuff happens. Just try your best to make a quick, clean kill, and if need be, shoot them again.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:14 pm

austin1990 wrote:It's a very rare occurrence, majority of the time they will run out of sight and die, enless you spine shoot one, then you want to get a second arrow in them quick. I hate to see anything suffer, but unfortunately no matter how much you practice, shooting at an animal Is a different situation all together, and stuff happens. Just try your best to make a quick, clean kill, and if need be, shoot them again.

x2
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:19 pm

We all respect animals we pursue. I would say that is very uncommon. I have been bow hunting since 1996 before that was a crossbow started in 1990. Gun hunted before that from 1975. I don't do anything but bow hunt now. I have made a couple of back bone shots I wasn't proud off. But finished them off quickly.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:34 pm

It's a rare occurrence.

Just be sure to use a quality arrow and broadhead as hunters we owe it to the game we pursue to make clean kills.

It bugs me to see arrows with expandables not going all the way through the animal. It's why I used fixed blades.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
greg728

Unread postby greg728 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:46 pm

Thanks guys. I love the woods and learning how to chase deer. I love the idea of harvesting my own food and being less reliant on factory farming. I've just never shot a deer yet and after watching that video it really messed me up. I know things happen fast but I really want to make it as quick as possible for them.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 pm

greg728 wrote:Thanks guys. I love the woods and learning how to chase deer. I love the idea of harvesting my own food and being less reliant on factory farming. I've just never shot a deer yet and after watching that video it really messed me up. I know things happen fast but I really want to make it as quick as possible for them.

Use razor sharp broadheads, wait for a good shot, and you will be fine.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:15 pm

greg728 wrote:Thanks guys. I love the woods and learning how to chase deer. I love the idea of harvesting my own food and being less reliant on factory farming. I've just never shot a deer yet and after watching that video it really messed me up. I know things happen fast but I really want to make it as quick as possible for them.

There is a part of a successful hunt, for me anyway, that is very somber. You stand over a deer you just killed and you need to accept that you are responsible for that. Sure, I am happy, but there is a moment of reflection, of respect. So I believe your feeling are right in line with where they should be.

When I see blood flying after my arrow goes through the deer, I know I hit my mark, that deer will expire quickly. Nobody wants to put an animal through a long, suffering death.

Practice a lot. Then practice some more. You can never be too prepared
Ryan
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:25 pm

Death is never pretty. Most deer just fall over, some refuse to die.

All i can say is that you are trying to kill em as humanely as possible, but gotta roll w the punches.

If that bothers you, a gut shot loss will have you on your knees.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:47 pm

I’ve killed 60 deer, been with friends and family for another 20 or so kills, and I have never seen one spew blood from its mouth like that. I know it happens, but normally the amount is much smaller and usually they’re out of sight. Keep in mind it is very common to walk up on your deer and see blood in its mouth and nose. It’s also common to near the end of a blood trail and see some blood sprayed a little bit, which is usually from them exhaling.

The kill itself isn’t pretty at times. I’ve spined my share of deer and I don’t enjoy that at all. Just realize that as gorry as it looks and as bad as it makes you feel, them dying naturally is often much worse than that.

Imagine getting taken down by a pack of coyotes. Or a buck getting a tine poked in its chest and dying a weeks long death from infection. Or getting hit by a car and wandering off. The list goes on…

If you do see blood coming out when your deer takes off (most often you can’t), just realize you did an awesome job and that deer will go down very quickly. It’s a quick humane kill.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 am

Stuff happens, you just do your very best to make it as clean as possible.

A few years ago I thought I drilled a doe right behind the shoulder. I trailed her, jumped her, came back the next day and couldn’t find her. I thought it was a slam dunk. It’s a horrible feeling.

Another time I took a shot on a moving deer. I hit her waaaaay back. I was really lucky to have severed the femoral artery and she dropped 10 yards away. In hindsight, I definitely shouldn’t have taken the shot.

Sometimes weird stuff happens. Do the best that you can do. Takes shots your confident in. If you make a mistake, learn from it and do better next time.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:00 am

Double post
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:06 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:

Use razor sharp broadheads, wait for a good shot, and you will be fine.

X2 on the razor sharp broadheads. I used to be a “they’re sharp enough” hunter. I’ve noticed significantly better blood trails since I’ve focused on getting my heads super sharp
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:35 am

Here's the thing, unexpected things can and do happen. The deer moves, you hit a twig you didn't see. All you can do is be as prepared as possible and don't take high risk shots.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:59 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
austin1990 wrote:It's a very rare occurrence, majority of the time they will run out of sight and die, enless you spine shoot one, then you want to get a second arrow in them quick. I hate to see anything suffer, but unfortunately no matter how much you practice, shooting at an animal Is a different situation all together, and stuff happens. Just try your best to make a quick, clean kill, and if need be, shoot them again.

x2

x3

First year hunting or just first season for archery ?

Its easy to cope with bc its not worse than field dressing and processing them

After losing alot of deer in 10 years - I would like to see at least part of that bc I know hes going down

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”