MOON DAYS (2022)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: MOON DAYS (2022)

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:45 pm

PredatoronthePrairie wrote:Related to this topic. Would you hunt one of your best spots on Saturday morning. With a premo weather front moving through. The right wind. But the full moon is that day and I expect buck to be back to bed early?

With the caviot of knowing you will not be able to hunt this stand again for at least 3 weeks. Due to other hunting trip obligations.

Also knowing he was in the area recently but not in daylight?

Also knowing that there zero chance of anyone else going in there?

So is it worth the risk?

Hey there Predator

I do agree w Stingray

The only thing I can say about this weekends full moon is that alot of good hunters keep saying full moon mornings-midday are great. I personally havent tried or payed attention enough or hunted til midday to have an opinion. I simply do not hunt the full moon evenings, most times I dont go at all. That theory makes sense considering I dont see deer on full moon evenings so maybe they do get up later and come back later.

If the cold front forecast stays true, next weekend into the following week will be the days for me to start mornings Oct 16,17,18,19. Every year thats generally when I start BUT it is early season still. Iv been successful and failed. Iv seen bucks bedded before daylight even during the rut. Just depends on the deer

As far as your deer, I guess that would depend on the time stamp and if the area is part of his core

brodie1978

Unread postby brodie1978 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:08 am

Thanks for the info DK.

Appreciate you doing this each year
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:13 am

Thanks, DK! I always look forward to this post even though I haven't quite capitalized on playing the moon phases.....yet!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:04 pm

Strategically Inefficient
Danny boy

Unread postby Danny boy » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:23 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:The only thing moon days have done for me is, make me hunt more & be more anxious about the theory of me killing one on these moon days...

Hunt as often as you can - is the moral of my story, along with lots of preseason scouting...

IM with you on that.
buggsisland

Unread postby buggsisland » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:30 am

Thank you DK for posting these.
I am solidly in the moon up moon down activity camp.
Only thing more predictable than deer movement are freshwater fish biting during the prime moon times.
It's a hard sell to many because they get screwed up and want to talk moon phase versus up/down.
Again thanks for the work you put in to give us these refernce points.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:22 am

Quick update on my season

Per usual I had alot of great luck on the moon days. Also per usual alot of kills/TC pics online that matched up as well.

I will say that I saw more movement on Underfoot days than past years iv paid attention. Also guys that said Full Moon morning are good were correct. I applied that this season and did have alot of great luck. I will add these days/times to my future lists

Per usual, Full Moon Evenings were garbage. New Moon just do not work for me.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:26 am

Can anyone tell me how to find out where the moon's exact position is and how to find out when its on the horizon ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”