MOON DAYS (2022)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: MOON DAYS (2022)

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:58 am

Thanks for the info!!!!!

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 6:32 am

Interesting I've never paid much attention to the moon.
May try to be in the woods more on moon days and see if deer activity increases.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:32 pm

The only thing moon days have done for me is, make me hunt more & be more anxious about the theory of me killing one on these moon days...

Hunt as often as you can - is the moral of my story, along with lots of preseason scouting...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:11 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Interesting I've never paid much attention to the moon.
May try to be in the woods more on moon days and see if deer activity increases.

Iv had alot of success w it. I make the days for myself and usually someone makes a post before the season. Its hard to do and confusing lol I doubled checked it after I was done and still made mistakes

Id say just pay attention to things and see if you think anything different later. You dont even have to hunt to see if you find a correlation. I mainly concentrate on Overhead

When youre driving home and see deer out or out early, look at the moon and see what phase it is. Pay attention to some big buck TC pics ppl share online of them out in daylight and ill bet you see that half moon symbol more times than not. When your buddies text about seeing a big one or someone killing, just check and see if its a moon day or not
Last edited by <DK> on Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:13 am

The days listed are based on :

1hr Before Dawn - 2hrs After
1hr After Dusk - 2hrs Before

My main concentration are the days that overlap
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:02 am

I think the influence of the moon is easier to see in the summer and early season because deer are more visible. During hunting season deer are just inherently less visible, but I think the moon still plays a role, it’s just harder to notice.
Strategically Inefficient
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:09 am

Stingray713 wrote:I think the influence of the moon is easier to see in the summer and early season because deer are more visible. During hunting season deer are just inherently less visible, but I think the moon still plays a role, it’s just harder to notice.

It either works for a guy or it doesnt. I do think its partially mental for me. I capitalized first time so im stuck and wrapped up in it lol

I dont disagree w you about the summer, that is running trend for most guys opinions.

Like I said in my last post - you dont have to hunt to see if you find correlations. Just pay attention to things a little more and see if you find anything. One major thing I see the most is the TC pics on social media. I see that quite often
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:16 am

Another aspect for me is Adam Hays

That guy believes in it to the fullest and mainly bc of Andrea

After Jeff Murray died he bought it from the family and I dont think you do that just bc. For all the guys that dont believe in it, I dont see how $20 a whack is that profitable.

He specifically does not hunt his best spots until those days. He will back off a bit on other days or not hunt. I cant do that bc I do want to hunt more often. You can kill them anytime and any conditions but hes consistently getting it done on giants.

We all hunt the fronts or weekend warriors. Only so many of us hunt based on the moon. Like I do not hunt full moons period, even new moons are flakey. So if full and new dont work for me, then half moon is the ticket.
the_novemberwarrior

Unread postby the_novemberwarrior » Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:51 pm

This is my data set from 2021 October thru December of daylight movement from a 174 trail camera study I conducted over the last 2 years. I’d say that moon phase plays some part in movement based around overhead/underfoot. Moon phase alone cannot overcome other factors in determining movement though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:55 pm

When I used to pay a lot of attention to the moon, I would see the most daylight activity from mature bucks 3-4 days before and after a full moon.
Dauntless55

Unread postby Dauntless55 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:29 am

Thanks for the post. Doesn't change much but you listed 2 full moons in November. The 8th is correct.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:49 am

Dauntless55 wrote:Thanks for the post. Doesn't change much but you listed 2 full moons in November. The 8th is correct.

Ah I sure did... Those were the New Moon dates I must have pasted them twice

Glad to have someone double checking ! Its very difficult

The multiple days for a full & new moons are based on 97%-100% / 0%-3%
pa_archery_nut

Unread postby pa_archery_nut » Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:58 am

@DK

The concept of the moon impacting movement is not new to me. That said, I'm now quite curious. I've been chasing one particular buck for 3 seasons - well this will be the 3rd. Finding a consistent pattern has been difficult. He's shown in daylight, in one strip of woods, in each of the last 2 Novembers. Do you have the moon data for last year and the year prior to see what afternoons/evenings would have been marked by your criteria for having a higher chance of movement? I'm curious if there is overlap between your criteria and his historical movement in daylight in early November. If yes, and his pattern continues, perhaps that will give me a leg up on figuring him out this year. I've compared every aspect of weather - temps varied wildly, winds from opposite directions, pressures were rising, in both instances, but typically lower than what I've read is 'prime'. Weather doesn't seem to be the overarching factor in his movement.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:45 am

I think weather trumps moon phases, if it's unseasonably warm they are not moving much in daylight. But when the weather lines up with the moon I could totally see how it can improve deer hunting. I seen a small correlation myself.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:32 am

pa_archery_nut wrote:@DK
Do you have the moon data for last year and the year prior to see what afternoons/evenings would have been marked by your criteria for having a higher chance of movement?

Yeah I think that I do - what dates ?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”