Bucks using a field edge.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Hildebrand

Bucks using a field edge.

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:31 am

I posted on the FB page a little about this but I am still digging.
I have a spot where it's most a filed with a small chuck of wood, but it's attached to a big chuck of wooda. Most all 10-20 acre chunks with house bassicaly all around the sqaure. I am one of 3 ag fields attached to this wood lot. I have standing beans that are starting to turn brown. I am having a ton of deer action on this edge. Does and bucks.
Some of the bucks are nice bucks for my area. They have created a scape on the edge and every deer that walks out hits the scrape. Last night in 40 minutes before dark I had a nice buck walk out hit the scrape hit the beans and stayed 15 minutes. He came out like it was mid-summer. But these are not everyday things. In the part of the woods that I can hunt I have found zero bedding when scouting. It's a lot of open timber. Is this a situation where Iam just going to have to pick a day and get lucky or should I wait till I see a repeat in something? This morning i had two different bucks hit the edge at 530-6 in the morning and the one layed next to the scarpe for a little bit

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Bucks using a field edge.

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:15 am

Sounds like typical early season bean field action to me? Sure to dry up in no time now so if there’s a buck coming in you want to kill on that pattern better do it quick!

Good luck
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:35 pm

I gave it a go last night. The wind forecast was dead wrong and it gave me a perfect chance to go. I walked the road as far as I could cut down a row of beans and set up. It was dead calm last night too. I heard something as it was getting dark but never did see anything. When I got down something small took up and sounded like it went up a tree. There were so many tracks and that scrape was torn way up.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 am

Amazing how we can watch deer come out of the woods at the same place every day and then nothing when we set up to hunt them. They typically come out where the thermals drag the scent down to them as they approach.

Did you throw any milkweed?
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:56 am

yes I used milkweed all night and it was perfect. My only idea is that with the wind change they did not come out.

this moring at 9:30 am i had two nice bucks right where I hunted on that edge. They have to be bedding close if they are out at them hours. Also they acted like they did not care I walked that field. There are a lot of houses around that chunk so Im guessing I can get away with a little scent on the field edge
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:04 am

also the bucks that came out today did not have the wind in their favor. Just not sure on this one
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:26 am

Hildebrand wrote:also the bucks that came out today did not have the wind in their favor. Just not sure on this one

In situations like this, if there is a buck i want to kill there, i’ll throw 3 straight sits at it.

No joke, it’s on a field edge so they won’t be there all year nor are they bedding in the field so i’ll hunt it 3 straight days and either kill that sucker or burn it the heck out so they never come back. Once i’ve laid waste to it ill abandon it completely the rest of the year then start figuring out where he is bedding and go kill him where he sleeps.

At least you know you gave it a good crack and you can now cross it off your list without a second thought. Or….you kill him.

Mobile doesn’t always mean you need to sit a new spot literally every single sit. Sometimes a spot needs a couple more for a million different reasons. What IS a bad idea is putting a ladder stand there and sitting in it every hunt from Sept to Jan. Well, unless you enjoy slowly watching the grass and leaves turn from green to yellow to gone :lol:
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
Hildebrand wrote:also the bucks that came out today did not have the wind in their favor. Just not sure on this one

In situations like this, if there is a buck i want to kill there, i’ll throw 3 straight sits at it.

No joke, it’s on a field edge so they won’t be there all year nor are they bedding in the field so i’ll hunt it 3 straight days and either kill that sucker or burn it the heck out so they never come back. Once i’ve laid waste to it ill abandon it completely the rest of the year then start figuring out where he is bedding and go kill him where he sleeps.

At least you know you gave it a good crack and you can now cross it off your list without a second thought. Or….you kill him.

Mobile doesn’t always mean you need to sit a new spot literally every single sit. Sometimes a spot needs a couple more for a million different reasons. What IS a bad idea is putting a ladder stand there and sitting in it every hunt from Sept to Jan. Well, unless you enjoy slowly watching the grass and leaves turn from green to yellow to gone :lol:

Thanks for the info. I get what you're saying. I think the wind is 100 percent wrong for that spot tonight no matter what I can do. I do have a hang-on stand over there on part of it but I will hunt that 1 time a year if that. Some years I don't even sit it. I do have a cell camera in that area which works nicely bc I can see what's going on. This is the first year since Ive had permission which is 6 years that there's been this much buck activity. Even when theres corn up they dont use it like this.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:42 pm

So I went back and sat it again. The wind won't make up its mind. I went to the spot and dropped milkweed and had an ESE wind so it was a good wind. Dropped milkweed the whole night and was good. 6:45 I heard something and looked through the wood and see deer. It was two doe. They stayed just in for 15 minutes before they came out. I did see two more bodies of deer in the woods and I thought I saw a rack on the one but I can't confirm. As the doe was feeding and moved out into the field about 30 yards to my SE the one doe picked her head up and kept smelling. I dropped some milkweed and of course, it was pulling that way now. She did kinda get edgy and got back in the woods, but the other stayed out. She did come back out and once she got to that same spot again she picked her head up and got a smell of me. Again, she went back into the woods and the other went this time. At this point, i have 5 minutes or so of legal light. I stick it out and heard some slow movement. I ended up waiting 20 minutes after the legal light and did not hear anything. I packed up and as I make my first step in the beans I hear deer take off crashing into the woods. It took her probably 50-plus yards of running before she started blowing but when she did she didn't stop lol She was blowing over and over lol. I feel a lot better I sat two days in a row. I could have taken either doe. Now I will let the spot go until next year.
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:07 am

just going to throw this out there... check the moon overhead time the day you saw the buck in the field, and check the overhead time the days you know they were coming in after it got dark.
not sure where you are, but here on Oct 2nd the moon was overhead around sunset, and 5th it was well after. maybe coincidence... maybe not.
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:05 am

Brad wrote:just going to throw this out there... check the moon overhead time the day you saw the buck in the field, and check the overhead time the days you know they were coming in after it got dark.
not sure where you are, but here on Oct 2nd the moon was overhead around sunset, and 5th it was well after. maybe coincidence... maybe not.

I will check into that, i have never done that.. I had the doe out this morning in daylight and another nice buck in the night
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:13 pm

Rich M wrote: They typically come out where the thermals drag the scent down to them as they approach.

Yep
Thermals/wind

Been hunting a spot on the farm for about 4 years. 1-2 sits early season
I started watching how they move across the property.
Not gonna say I have them figured out but it’s very interesting to see their pattern based on wind and how they use the open ag fields to move about.
It’s very cool.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:13 pm

Rich M wrote: They typically come out where the thermals drag the scent down to them as they approach.

Yep
Thermals/wind

Not gonna say I have them figured out but it’s very interesting to see their pattern based on wind and how they use the open ag fields to move about.
It’s very cool.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Hildebrand

Unread postby Hildebrand » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:49 pm

they cut the beans yesterday and I had very little action on it. Glad I hunted it two days in a row. I will cross that spot off for the year.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:13 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:

Yep
Thermals/wind

It’s very cool.

I've found that the deer typically walk straight into the falling thermals if at all possible to enter a field. We used to watch a mature doe come out to a field every day there wasn't a hunter in the woods. No-one could kill her with a bow.

I'm accepting that deer use fields a lot more than people think. We all hunt in the woods and they slip by somehow...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”