Opening Day Parking Lot Argument

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mag1
500 Club

Re: Opening Day Parking Lot Argument

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:43 am

I'm not sure about the rules by you, but I believe here in Wis, outside of the Gun season, on public, you can't leave a stand out overnight. I could be wrong, have not checked the rules lately, but the warden in my area loves to know where some of the guys have permanent stands & ladder stands on public. I was talking with him last year, and he was like, send me locations, I'll take care of it. same guys where running 4 wheelers all over the marsh in the cat tails. (there are a few pieces of private surrounded by public, and they seem to think they own the areas around them).

NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:15 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Hunting is supposed to be fun, that being said I don't get into pissing matches with anyone. If some hunter is but hurt that I'm too close I kindly say sorry and move on to other areas. I don't risk an altercation or my truck being messed with. There was a property I used to love to hunt that the conservancy made no hunting because of a nasty fist fight over a "spot that was theirs". We as hunters are the minority and the general population is just looking for an excuse to shut it down.

Well said!
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
TheACGuy

Unread postby TheACGuy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:28 am

Unfortunately here in NJ I don’t believe there are any rules about leaving stands/equipment on public land, other than State Parks and Nature Conservancies, which you’re allow have your stand set during the entire season. Removal of the stand is required after the season ends, but that’s it. This place is owned by the County and as far as I know they do not have that rule.. if they do, it isn’t published for the public to see.

I know there’s plenty of other places to hit, I’ve spent a lot of time scouting them too. This place happens to be the place that houses the biggest buck I have between my cams though, which makes me really not want to let up. I’ll still be hunting there, like I said I’m not going to be bullied out of a spot. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t in the wrong ethically for doing so. I won’t be hunting the same tree, but I have to bounce around there a little more.. I’ll just set up where he won’t be able to see me if I hit the same vicinity.

I haven’t laid eyes on his stand once, so I really have no clue where it is. I sort of doubt it’s truly 100 yards from where I was sitting anyway, I feel like I wouldn’t be seeing the activity I’m seeing on my cam around there if that were the case. He DOES however have to walk by the area where I’ve seen these deer to get to his stand unfortunately. I’m not sure how that’s going to play out, he seems pretty sloppy unfortunately. May kill all of the activity I’m seeing anyway and he can have the place to himself again.
TheACGuy

Unread postby TheACGuy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:16 am

I'll try to behave better next time. This time of year I'm a little wound up, sorry.

Just kidding sorry you had to deal with that. That right there takes the fun out of hunting for me. I try my hardest to avoid people on public land.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Brad
500 Club

Unread postby Brad » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:27 am

Personally I think it's a matter of if it's a spot you really want to hunt or just a spot to hunt that is'nt important to you. If unimportant, just go elsewhere. If you're after those bucks & really want to be there, absolutely keep hunting it. If that guy has hunted the same stand for the past 20 years, it should be pretty easy to go hunt the same general area and him never see you. The camera over your vehicle would be a good idea though, because there is a risk a loose cannon like that will mess with it. That information may even potentially help you figure out how the bucks are skirting his pressure. If he doesn't know where you're set up and is still messes with you, then it's clear he's not just worried about you being close to his stand. I personally would then look him in the eyes and politely but firmly set the record straight, since he clearly doesn't know how things work. If he becomes physical... as a brown belt in jiu jitsu I'm ready to handle that, but only you know if you really are and if that risk is worth it. If he becomes psychotic and attempts to use deadly force.. well, lets just say I am prepared to handle that as well. But it's simply a question of risk vs reward. I personally would not go just to "teach the guy a lesson". It's you that matters here, not the jack wagon you encountered. That jerk does not matter.
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:38 am

It’s interesting reading the responses to this same story on here versus on Archerytalk. Archerytalk response are alot more brutal then on here. Shows the beast is alot better forum all around person wise, and hunting wise then AT.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:55 am

upwind predator wrote:It’s interesting reading the responses to this same story on here versus on Archerytalk. Archerytalk response are alot more brutal then on here. Shows the beast is alot better forum all around person wise, and hunting wise then AT.

Probably just a lot more realistic too. I’m sure a lot of those responders were a lot tougher over the internet with someone else’s situation than if they were there.

Honestly I’d leave it be. Even if there are good bucks in the area, life is too short to deal with people like that. There’s deer elsewhere, and probably with less pushy nerds like that guy too. This is my hobby and I do it for fun and to get away from the rest of the world. No way I’m going to let some jerk ruin that for me, peace out loser!
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:14 am

I've had people set up closer than that. Usually in the morning before light. I'll be up in the tree minding my own business and I'll start seeing a flashlight come in and here in the noise they make. I'll wave at them with a light so they know I'm there. Sometimes they still set up anyway. I've had people set up 60 or 70 yards away. It's not often, but it's happened. They're typically just lazy Hunters who don't have more than that one spot. So that's why they plan on going, they've got no plan B and they get pissed if you ruin it on them. Is what it is. I just laugh at them too. Next time have a couple of backup plans.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:16 am

upwind predator wrote:It’s interesting reading the responses to this same story on here versus on Archerytalk. Archerytalk response are alot more brutal then on here. Shows the beast is alot better forum all around person wise, and hunting wise then AT.

Everything is an argument over there, I stopped going there forever ago.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:35 am

That's unfortunate anyone has to deal with that. It's public so go hunt if you still want to hunt there. I wouldnt touch his stand or anything of his or any else. Plus they may have their own cameras out trying to get pictures of people. Some people just don't get it. Ask the cops, it always the same people getting arrested lol. I would take a picture of his license plate though and tell him if you see any damages to your belongings you have his plate number at least. Good luck the rest of the season
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:43 am

Huntress13 wrote:

Everything is an argument over there, I stopped going there forever ago.

That’s why it’s nickname is Argue Talk. Nothing but one big crap show.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:47 am

Kill a big one in their take a nice photo put in plastic baggie and attach it to the tree he hunts.

With a friendly hope your season is going well too.

I once did this with a guy who stole my climbing stand while I was dragging a buck out..Then I killed the biggest buck in that woods and put a picture of it where he hunted.

This experience hopefully makes you more determined to kill a nice buck in that area before moving on.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:07 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Kill a big one in their take a nice photo put in plastic baggie and attach it to the tree he hunts.

With a friendly hope your season is going well too.

I once did this with a guy who stole my climbing stand while I was dragging a buck out..Then I killed the biggest buck in that woods and put a picture of it where he hunted.

This experience hopefully makes you more determined to kill a nice buck in that area before moving on.

Someone stole your stand while you were dragging a deer? What is wrong with people, good lord.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:23 am

I had a guy tell me in a public land parking lot he was getting threatened to be fired at his job if he hunted there anymore. Some of his co workers hunted there. I thought to myself really for this craphole. Not even a good hunting area for the most part

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”