Opening Day Parking Lot Argument

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TheACGuy

Opening Day Parking Lot Argument

Unread postby TheACGuy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:45 am

Well Saturday was opening day for a lot of us. To those who filled a tag, congrats! It was a soggy morning with 45mph gusts out here on the east coast. I sat for 13 hours dawn ‘til dusk for an uneventful morning in the wind and rain, no deer, pretty much what I expected in the storm but had to scratch my itch anyway.

I’m set up in this small woody area that is essentially the skirt to a small waterhole, where I’ve seen some nice deer at on my cam. At about 3 o’clock a guy walks in clunking his boots (I could hear him before I saw him) making his way to what I assume is a ladder stand set up in the timber behind me. It kinda ticked me off since I had been there for ~8-9 hours at this point, but I shrugged it off pretty quickly and shifted my stand about 80 yards to another side of the water hole where I could still use the wind to my advantage. I sit the rest of my shooting light out and then pack up and start hoofin’ it back to the truck.

About halfway through the walk back to the parking lot I realize the guy who came in late is also walking out, a steady 40-50 yards behind me. No biggie, I’ll meet the guy and BS with him for a minute back at the parking lot. This particular piece of land is public land, but it works off of a lottery system, so there’s only a certain amount of people who will be on this land all throughout the season (less than 20).. so chances are I’ll see him again at some point throughout the season, figured I’d make some small talk.

Boots meet the asphalt of the parking lot and I hear him yell out behind me “Who’s that?” I introduce myself and the response I get back is “DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO F** SCOUT?! YOU SET UP 100 YARDS FROM MY STAND!” I honestly thought he was kidding for a second but then realized no, this dude is just full of and vinegar. The screaming continues, he’s telling me him and his dad have hunted this lottery zone for 20 years, and all the other guys who hunt it all know them. Says I knew his stand was there (I truly didn’t nor would I care honestly as he isn’t in the right area anyway) and there’s no room for me to hunt on this property with all the other guys being that this is the first year I pulled a permit for here. I’m legitimately laughing at this point telling him that’s essentially how public land works and I wasn’t happy seeing him walking in at 3pm but it didn’t ruin my night. This whole thing went on for probably just under 5 minutes, he did a lot of screaming, I did a lot of laughing, calmly telling him to get real, grow the f*** up, and I’ll hunt where ever I want at this property and any other public land places I’ve scouted since February. This whole time he didn’t actually get in my face, he was yelling at me from across his truck, as he parked next to my truck. Told the guy it was nice to meet him and I’m sure I’ll see him around, hopped in my truck and went home.

Again, I really have no clue where his stand is as I had/have no interest in being in the patch of timber he’s in, I deemed that an unworthy area to check out. If he truly was 100 yards away from where I set up, then he went and still set up there KNOWING I was “100 yards away”, I was there way before he walked back, regardless if his stand was already there or not. Seems like his own dumb fault that he was pissed off to me, he could’ve easily went and sat at the base of a tree a mile away if he wanted to, instead he sat there and cried about it to himself for the last 4 hours of daylight I guess. I’ve had people hunt closer than I’d like to me multiple times and it ticks me off but doesn’t get me heated enough to scream at anyone, it’s public land and I know they’re just as welcome to any spot as I am.

Anyone else have any experiences like this? Any solutions rather than “not hunt there”? I stay mobile, and will be bouncing back to that area again sometime in the near future I’m sure, as I know there are a couple different deer I’d take a swing at if I got the opportunity to do so. Not worried about any guys out there, more so worried about someone messing with my truck while I’m out there if anything. If that were to be the case the police would be called, but obviously I’d have a tough time proving anything. Just interested in hearing if anyone else has had any similar experiences to this and what the remedy was. Obviously talking to the guy like an adult isn’t one of them since all he wants to do is scream at me from the safety of the other side of his truck. Just sucks to have someone with a crappy attitude (his dads probably the same way I’m assuming, and I’m eager to meet their “friends” who also hunt there) around as I’m just trying to relax and enjoy the woods in a spot I know can be very productive. I guess he thinks I’m trying to snake the deer out from under him, or thinks I’m getting in his way, but he’s not in the right spot anyway.. and if his stand has truly been there for twenty years, these mature deer surely know about it too.

Feel free to tell me I’m in the wrong if you think that’s the case. Personally I think I’m just hunting in a spot that I think needs to be hunted, and he’s just being a crybaby about it. I’m not down with getting “bullied” out of a spot I’ve worked my off to find deer in.

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Opening Day Parking Lot Argument

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:11 am

I’d be IN his stand next time he showed up.

I’ve dealt with people like that and i stick to my guns or they win and they’ll never learn they don’t own the public. Seems they only act like that the first few times then they give up cause deep down they know they’re wrong. Just public land bullies is all they are and i think we all learned long ago how to deal with bullies, give it right back.

I’d just keep doing your thing.

Good luck. I hope you kill the biggest buck in the woods and have no choice but to drag it out right by him :mrgreen:
Last edited by szwampdonkey on Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:12 am

Double post
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:19 am

I would park where I could put a trail camera watching my vehicle. If it is a draw hunt it will not be difficult for them to find and ID the guy if he is dumb enough to do anything stupid, which it sounds like he is…

That sucks.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:49 am

PK_ wrote:I would park where I could put a trail camera watching my vehicle. If it is a draw hunt it will not be difficult for them to find and ID the guy if he is dumb enough to do anything stupid, which it sounds like he is…

That sucks.

X2 this ^
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:30 am

There are laws about hunter harassment and that seems like harassment to me. I would have pulled out my phone and started recording then turn it into the dnr, otherwise you did exactly what you should have, don’t back down but don’t be the idiot he is being. Also would have grabbed his license plate #.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:32 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:There are laws about hunter harassment and that seems like harassment to me. I would have pulled out my phone and started recording then turn it into the dnr, otherwise you did exactly what you should have, don’t back down but don’t be the idiot he is being. Also would have grabbed his license plate #.

Totally agree
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am

Good stuff posted above. Just don’t let him beat you!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:23 pm

A dumb situation for sure. I'd just do your own thing and use his idiocy to your advantage by knowing where his stand is set up
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:02 pm

Lots of good replies above. Public land is first come first serve and it always pays to have a back up spot or two.

As an aside, if it truly is a lottery zone I don’t see how both him and his dad could have hunted it for 20 years.
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Micah

Unread postby Micah » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:13 pm

People suck. Never had that happen but sure it will at some point. I’d keep going back there and the trail camera on your truck in the parking lot is a good idea in case he decided to mess with it.
Andyschulte

Unread postby Andyschulte » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:26 pm

Dudes a loser. I’d be worried about something happening to my truck though. I’d for sure get his license plate if you ever get the chance again. Hopefully you remember the make and model of his vehicle just in case.

Otherwise, let that fool go sit the ladder stand him and his dad have hunted out of for 20 years. Smile and wave next time you see him.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Any chance he didn’t actually draw the hunt and is so defensive because he doesn’t want to get caught? That was my first thought as I read through the post, especially with the comment about he and his dad hunting it for 20 years.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:35 pm

Good point. Nobody gets chosen in a draw hunt 20 years in a row. If he did it sure can’t be real good hunting because everyone would be applying. Might not even be worth the aggravation.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 pm

I will add this... Not defending the guy, but I drew a lotto property last year. There were a limited number of people drawn for it, but when I got the permit it said there were more people than the draw. So I asked the organization for clarification and they said two people were grandfathered in at the time the property was acquired.

Not saying that's the case with AC, but I know firsthand that can be the case.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”