Hill Country Noob

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GavinMcGee5
Facebook: gavin mcgee

Hill Country Noob

Unread postby GavinMcGee5 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:25 am

My name is Gavin McGee. Im from Louisiana. I hunt swamps but have recently taken a interest to hill country. I have been studying this map ( big woods hill country ) and am planning a little rut hunting trip. I don't have the time to make It out there for a scouting session so will have to scout my way in and hunt. I have been doing research on wind and thermals but still having trouble understanding access and stand placement. Predominant wind is North and I they have plenty of bedding opportunity on leeward ridges. I am looking for some pointers on how I can possibly hunt some cruising bucks. Maybe some stand placement / access examples. Also sitting lee ward. How do I go about setting up with my wind blowing down the point. If I'm hunting a potential bedding point. Should I maybe be looking for doe bedding points ? Or just thick points for travel ?

Sorry if this was a bit scattered. Just looking for some general pointers. Maybe a few pictures so I can get a visual. I know this place holds hammers and I am jacked up about getting out to scout it. Just on limited time at the moment. I may drop some cameras while I'm there and go back get them after the season so I can learn something from it.

NorthStar
500 Club

Re: Hill Country Noob

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:08 pm

During rut, I like to hunt at the top or the bottom of a large washout on the leeward side. I like the deep and narrow washouts where the terrain forces the deer to cheat by going around it at the bottom or the top. Washouts like these that are near multiple bedding points are the best in my opinion. Sometimes you will find a spot within the washout that is shallow and easy for deer to pass through…these can be good to set up on as well.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
GavinMcGee5
Facebook: gavin mcgee

Unread postby GavinMcGee5 » Fri Nov 25, 2022 6:38 am

Thankyou! I appreciate the input. This is something I will keep in mind when scouting. So how would you set up on this ? Regarding the wind ?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:27 am

If you haven’t viewed Dans Hill County Bedding DVD I highly recommend it
Light bulbs will go off in your head each time you watch it

As for setting up on the leeward points

Think of it like this
Look at the top of your hand laying flat on a table
Each finger represents a ridge tapering off to a point

Now imagine the wind is blowing directly down one of your finger across the top of your fingernail…that where the buck will bed. This way he catches the scent coming down your finger. When the bottoms (below your finger tips) starts warming the thermals will rise. When those thermals collide with the predominant wind it creates an area where the air is turning over …known as the wind tunnel. That area is where deer can catch wind from your fingers and up from the bottom

Now where to set up…where you fingers adjoin to your wrist and separate from one another…this could be called to top of a draw and very common place to set up. Along the edges of your fingers,like the outside edge of your knuckles are also good spot to try and intercept a buck. These area can be like little pump knots along the ridge edge. The goal is to set up where your wind IS NOT blowing to the buck bed and will allow him to travel to you without catching your wind before you shoot him.

Now this is only one vague example, and would depend in IF he departs his bed and comes up the ridgeline to your set up. Also the length of the point..will he have enough daylight left to make it to your setup before dark.

IF you have an area you’re actually wanting to hunt you can PM me and I will try and help you with your actual setup, entry and exit paths etc

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”