Upper Michigan's deer Migration...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Dhoff
500 Club

Re: Upper Michigan's deer Migration...

Unread postby Dhoff » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:01 am

dan wrote:At the end of yesterday Video I ate a whole Pack of cheese dogs and made fun of them saying they were made from lips and buttholes... Well, I got a whole bunch of angry messages from employees saying the only use only quality meat... So to make amenz I am considering putting this very short video up of experts discussing what hot dogs are made of: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hqTt_jDDCio&feature=youtu.be

Hahahah :lol:

MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:52 am

Good video . Question I have- did you see or hear of any bucks with head gear still up there at that time? I would think they were starting to drop around then. I know here in the lower NW some were. Just curious.
savageofcedars

Unread postby savageofcedars » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:24 am

MichiganMike wrote:Good video . Question I have- did you see or hear of any bucks with head gear still up there at that time? I would think they were starting to drop around then. I know here in the lower NW some were. Just curious.

I haven't finished the first video or started the second but...I typically get shed bucks on camera starting mid-December. This year I had two different bucks daylighting around xmas give or take on days, two different spots they were both shed bucks. I've had shed bucks on camera as early as 12/8, but it depends.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 am

savageofcedars wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:Good video . Question I have- did you see or hear of any bucks with head gear still up there at that time? I would think they were starting to drop around then. I know here in the lower NW some were. Just curious.

I haven't finished the first video or started the second but...I typically get shed bucks on camera starting mid-December. This year I had two different bucks daylighting around xmas give or take on days, two different spots they were both shed bucks. I've had shed bucks on camera as early as 12/8, but it depends.

My neighbors said they were seeing shed bucks around that time too. Buddy of mine and his grandkid shot one during muzzleloader first week of December. It was hobbling so they put it out of its misery.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:24 am

savageofcedars wrote:

My neighbors said they were seeing shed bucks around that time too. Buddy of mine and his grandkid shot one during muzzleloader first week of December. It was hobbling so they put it out of its misery.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:53 am

There was a whole bunch of shed bucks down at the butcher Shop right after last weeks holiday hunt here in S/E Wisc
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:36 am

@ 26 min. Almost everyone hunts over bait, and yes it is their culture. If they were to outlaw baiting, 75% of the hunters would be lost . At 27:50 " there is something just not right about hunting over a bait pile. You are right, but it is hardly even hunting anymore. I would love to hunt Price and Sawyer co. with no bait anywhere and have them move much more often. AT 28 min. " the bait is throwing us off. You just said a million words. This is a scorn to hunters that dont bait. The bait problem is much worse during gun season , when ALMOST EVERYONE is baiting. This is exactly why I dont believe in baiting. it throws off all of the deer movement and they likely go a long ways off public to stay very close to bait piles . However, I am amazed at the deer sign there. Are these migrating deer , or local deer that stay there, or both? ABout 30 yrs ago N.W. Wis had that much deer sign , but not nearly as much anymore. One of the guys said, "if you go way back in the woods, there isnt much, a track or two".
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:06 pm

Congrats on the does. Dan's sandwich looks good but all that cheese will get you bound up.....
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:43 pm

ihookem wrote:@ 26 min. Almost everyone hunts over bait, and yes it is their culture. If they were to outlaw baiting, 75% of the hunters would be lost . At 27:50 " there is something just not right about hunting over a bait pile. You are right, but it is hardly even hunting anymore. I would love to hunt Price and Sawyer co. with no bait anywhere and have them move much more often. AT 28 min. " the bait is throwing us off. You just said a million words. This is a scorn to hunters that dont bait. The bait problem is much worse during gun season , when ALMOST EVERYONE is baiting. This is exactly why I dont believe in baiting. it throws off all of the deer movement and they likely go a long ways off public to stay very close to bait piles . However, I am amazed at the deer sign there. Are these migrating deer , or local deer that stay there, or both? ABout 30 yrs ago N.W. Wis had that much deer sign , but not nearly as much anymore. One of the guys said, "if you go way back in the woods, there isnt much, a track or two".

We got there after the migration... Studying the maps there are different areas / herds that migrate differently. We were in an area around Iron Mountain that had a shorter distance migration. You could go a very long ways without cutting a track but when you got to the deer yards / complex's you were in them thick... And that was the stage we hunted. Use the truck to get to the complexs as close as possible, drive around them and look at the deer and the trails. then hop on them and hike back. Being that none of us had done this before there was a lot of driving and looking the 1st couple days then narrowing down the last two days. If you think about it, a 4 day hunt is extremely short to find success in this type of hunt in a new area. Good news is, the cedar swamp we ended up focusing on had no baiting influence and we were able to finally hunt natural movements. I think you will enjoy the last video as well. It should be up tonight.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Dhoff wrote:Congrats on the does. Dan's sandwich looks good but all that cheese will get you bound up.....

We call that bound up thing a "Cheese dam" it keeps you from pooping your pants for a few days... Just watch out when the dam finally blows.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:47 am

Dan, that is very encouraging. I have wanted to buy land in Upper Michigan for a long time . I also wanted to hunt there too and never have.I do fish it a few times a year , but way east , on Little and Big Bay De Noc. There are deer all over Rapid River , but close to town. As for getting a deer in 4 days is much better than I can do, unless I just get lucky. I was amazed at the deer sign, and have seen that before , in March about 20 miles east of Rapid River. The deer sign was unreal along the Sturgeon River, even seen a wolf kill. Deer dropping everywhere. The next year I go to look for sheds in the same area , and hardly a deer turd . This was on National forest land. Iron River is very nice looking land and beautiful rolling hills . I like it there. West , to Iron River, gets more remote, further west , Watersmeet and Ontonagan ,is even harder hunting. Hats off to the dudes that get deer there without baiting, that is for sure.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:31 am

However, I have to say shame on all of you . .. Wearing old flannel jackets with holes in them. Ya all are big time now and need to start wearing all that $500 camo jackets and $300 pants that say stuff like Realtree, Mossy Oak, and Cabelas. . All kidding aside I think it is funny when some dude comes to register his deer and has some old jacket on thats all ripped up and laugh when its the biggest buck yet. SOmetimes I swear a ripped up old worn out jacket it better camo . Gives it the real 3d effect or something.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:52 am

I enjoyed that..... looks like those Barber boys were hunting Camp Lake,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I have a question.... On Eriks first set up, what is that arrow sticking in the tree behind him? Also what 2 blade is Erik shooting? Is that a Rexpid? thanks if you know...............................

Ihookem,,,, I hunt western Iron County..... I also at times am on the east side of Gogebic and southern Octanogon County....... their are fewer deer, but some real dandy bucks also, but its not easy and you need the time.................... I usually am never far from or in, or on water drainages..... It has all the deer needs,,,,, but yep this year, they migrated down to the Brule river area early December,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:30 am

dan wrote:
Dhoff wrote:Congrats on the does. Dan's sandwich looks good but all that cheese will get you bound up.....

We call that bound up thing a "Cheese dam" it keeps you from pooping your pants for a few days... Just watch out when the dam finally blows.

:lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”