still at it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Ghost Hunter

Re: still at it?

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:59 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:I am done. Missed a step, head hit the concrete, eyes swollen shut. CT scan shows everything is OK. Feb 7th a decision is made ony arm. Tough getting old, ha ha.

My partner started to see movement this week. Along Lake Micigan. Missed a buck Tuesday. Still seeing head gear. Hit a deer last nite on way home, minor damage, but good meat.

He will be at it till the end. A old tough Marine who hunts with long bow.

Glad your okay. Time flies. Want be long and we will be asking about timing of acorn dropping again.

I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:05 pm

Going out for my last hunt of the season tomorrow. Has been a good season for meat in the freezer but still looking for a wall hanger. Maybe I'll get lucky. Got one more beast hunt and then it's a break until turkey/hog season
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:50 am

HunterBob wrote:Going out for my last hunt of the season tomorrow. Has been a good season for meat in the freezer but still looking for a wall hanger. Maybe I'll get lucky. Got one more beast hunt and then it's a break until turkey/hog season

I wish you luck. Im done for season most likely. Trying put a nasty cold to rest.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:39 pm

It ends tomorrow and a low of -7f tonight.. I cant find a track on public by me, and 2 miles away where I live I have deer tracks walking down my driveway and 20' from my bedroom window. Guess I'm done . However I already have 19 miles of scouting in so far this scouting season. I found one stand 100 yds from the road . It will be a week day stand when I dont have time to go back 3/4 mi back in . Could be a morning stand too for early season. I like scouting , being out there as much as hunting. There is something about finding a spot,, thinking that tree would be perfect on this a certain wind and next fall it becomes your best stand.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:19 pm

Good luck to everyone going out for their last day of season!
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:05 am

I finally made it back into the woods on Saturday after a December and January filled with calamities. Being away from the woods so long I spent most of the day scouting. The forestry department freshly marked for logging two of the ridges I had in mind to possibly hunt. Covered about 7 miles in total. Eliminated a lot of territory. Running out of time fast as the season closes Feb 5. I have a couple other spots I'd like to check that had active logging operations end recently. Sometimes the logging pushes the deer out. But sometimes it just pushes the hunters out from access and the deer find the voids. It's a long shot but worth a try.
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:47 am

I got out on Friday and walked several areas and never cut a good enough track that got me excited to setup but gave good intel for next fall. Decided to call it a season. Passed up some 2.5yr olds this season but only laid eyes on one real shooter. I didn’t hunt as much as I would have liked and that played a part. However, I know I didn’t put the boots on the ground scouting last year and went off past history and that didn’t work out well. This spring will be a different story and I plan to get out scouting more.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:17 am

Never made it back out. My last hunt was early Jan after all those dumb doe only gun seasons wrapped up. My mother in law ended up in the hospital Jan 19 and remains there so that pretty much became a priority. Just a reminder to take advantage of the days you’re able to get out cause your plans to go in the future could get changed for you just like that.

Maybe next year we will actually have late season weather to concentrate deer on predictable patterns sooner than the last week of the season in SE WI. It was like mid 40s and muddy with the lake i live on still being wide open in the middle when i last hunted in early Jan. The deer were living easy, bedding far from food way out in the swamps, and leaving their beds really late. Made it dang hard to hunt them. Now that we actually have snow and sub zero temps i could hunt the herds of deer in my back yard raiding the bird feeders.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:30 am

I tried to find something good the last couple weekends but struck out. Got some Intel for next season so that's a plus and I have a few areas to concentrate on that I'm excited to break down
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:29 am

2023 season has started. There’s no such thing as an offseason
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:59 am

Just had a three day archery hunt this weekend.
No success but I did see the largest public land buck ever at 40 yards. Midday standing on an open trail.
Not a care in the world until I reached for the bow in the backseat.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:54 am

Drinking tag soup on my buck this year. Was an interesting season with more downs than ups. But here's to a better 2023 season! :orcs-cheers:
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:12 am

G-Patt wrote:Drinking tag soup on my buck this year. Was an interesting season with more downs than ups. But here's to a better 2023 season! :orcs-cheers:

I'll drink to that
:orcs-cheers:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tufrthnails
500 Club

Unread postby Tufrthnails » Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:37 am

Still at it. Dropped a buck Saturday for my 4th deer in Florida got one more tag left. On call this week but gonna try to get out end of the month for muzz to fill the last one. 6 months of deer season in Florida was been fun but my buddy is beat up.
Tuf- The below average hunting beast

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”