still at it?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

still at it?

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:02 am

How many of you are still chasing deer? Im giving it a good effort. Without the snow its been hard to find good bucks. Seen a 2 year old buck a couple days ago and does... but trying to kill a good one anyway...

TwentyFeetCloser

Re: still at it?

Unread postby TwentyFeetCloser » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:08 am

Oh I’m still at it. I got on some deer the other day finally that are definitely killable but once I saw them it turned out to be 3 large does. Possibly a shed buck. One looked like it was really old with a ghostly grey looking face. This is the last week for us so I might go for it.
Failure to plan is planning for failure.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:12 am

Without snow its been hard to located a good buck... Been hoping around to areas that have held bucks late in the past. Its hard with the short days to make it to remote spots on weekdays. But I still have a few good destination in mind
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:32 am

I am hunting the swamp triangle of Washington, Ozaukee, and Sheboygan Counties. We have snow today so going out in an hour. Good afternoon movement till the 8th. After that it's like a switch went off, and all night movement.

My partner is dealing with similar in Manitowoc area and also along lake Michigan. No food shortage that's for sure.

I asked permission on one super spot I saw since a good buck was out feeding. Owner does not get back till Sundsy so have to wait.

No one and I mean no one for the most part is out.
If I could shoot a vertical bow, I be out solo snoop around the bedding cover. Most MMSD land and conservancy land Is empty of pressure.

Cold front coming in for the last week of January

Going to switch to mid day sits
TwentyFeetCloser

Unread postby TwentyFeetCloser » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:33 am

I’ve needed to up my late season game instead of throwing in the towel so I’ve been thinking about how you say it’s all about food. Well there’s no obvious food where I hunt this time of year usually so it’s all browse here and there but I found these areas where they have been shredding the ground up. It looks like acorns at first but no acorns. Closer look shows they are ripping up this grassy stuff and getting at the roots underneath. Apparently they love it because it’s completely destroyed. Upwind and uphill about 100 yards or so, what do you know… three big does bedded right on it.
I could set a stand up where I can hear cars driving and probably crack on at closing. I might have one day this week I have the time.
Failure to plan is planning for failure.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:40 am

I’ve had a blessed season, but I’m still hunting. Our season ends Jan 31st. Got busted twice by a smaller buck Monday and Tuesday. Completely trampled his area Tuesday, found bedding and travel routes. Marked trees for next year, was fun.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 am

Still going hard in Southwest Ohio (on the weekends at least). Hadn't located a good buck yet, but it's not for trying. Seeing more does than anything else.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Hunt1997

Unread postby Hunt1997 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:03 am

Still hunting! In New Jersey winter bow season ends February 18th.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:08 am

Our season in MA closed 12/31 and I'm not traveling with the price of gas right now.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:41 am

Worst late season I ever had by far. Never seen a buck even without the Holiday antlerless hunt here. My cams have been extremely slow. It’s like they all just disappeared and can’t explain it other than solid marsh ice has allowed them to push very deep into no mans land. I followed plenty of large tracks on ice for miles and they never bedded. Hard to find a good pattern when they only move well after dark from extreme distances.

Hate to say it but I’m glad the season is done. I could still keep hunting metro and extended zones till Jan 31st but finished on Jan 8th for regular units and immediately went into scouting mode. I enjoy that even more than hunting. Great to explore areas I’ve been staying out of all season and breaking them down for future hunts. Nothing like exploring and seeking new spots. Lack of snow has made it even more productive. Never been this easy to get around in January and all of this past fall sign is right there to easily see.
WisBowhunter

Unread postby WisBowhunter » Fri Jan 20, 2023 8:39 pm

Still at it but not as intense. Two different public areas I've scouted for late season seem to have very little fresh sign. Standing corn within a 1/2 mile of it on private may be the reason. May have relocated to closer bedding areas to the corn. Have a few private pieces I can late season hunt, but long range observation has shown 3 different bucks I knew were there and I wanted to hunt had lost half there rack as of last week. Personally I don't like to shoot them without both horns, just something doesn't sit right with me. May still throw a sit or two this weekend/next week to see if something shows up and is mature. Not to gripe, but with that darn late doe holiday hunt we have in our area really makes it tough to get on bucks at times and wastes time when they had horns. Best of luck to all still grinding it out.
Shoot straight, Kill Clean, and apologize to no one.
Country
500 Club

Unread postby Country » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:47 pm

I've probably got one more day to hunt this upcoming Wednesday...if I go at all. Kinda looking forward to turkey hunting already.
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Jan 21, 2023 12:26 am

Good luck to those still at it. That’s dedication.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:18 am

Worst Late season i can remember having in SE WI. With weather often in the 40s, rainy, and zero snow it seems the deer are more in post winter/early spring patterns than late season glued to food patterns. They seem to be bedding a long long ways from food and not leaving bedding until really late. I’ve shined fields really late with no deer in them. But those same fields have deer in them at 0600 before work so tells me they are getting in in the middle of the night.

They just don’t have that typical late season urgency to move and feed. Actually thinking of throwing some early morning sits close to bedding to catch them on their way back if they’re in fields at 0600. I don’t typically hunt mornings in late season but this isn’t a typical late season and evenings have been really slow.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:06 am

Probably had my last hunt yesterday. Was on a doe mission. 3 bucks for 5 minutes inside of 20. 1 was a shooter 4 year old I've got 2 years history with. Feeding on red oaks, 50 yards from a busy trail head/parking lot. Wife still has a buck tag but didn't want to sit rain and 30 mph winds.... this keeps happening to her :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”