At what point do you stop?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

At what point do you stop?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:38 am

Talking with a close friend of mine who I usually hunt with and we were talking about deer mounts and how many we have and it got us down the road at what score or what do you stop mounting deer? I would guess he has 15+ and I have 12 plus a bunch of euros. What does it take for you to mount one?

Earn what’s never given.
Chad Gus 715

Re: At what point do you stop?

Unread postby Chad Gus 715 » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:31 pm

Went to European mounts 5 or 6 years ago, it would have to be over 160 or really unique before i would consider shoulder mounting another one.
equal opportunity hunter
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:35 pm

Chad Gus 715 wrote:Went to European mounts 5 or 6 years ago, it would have to be over 160 or really unique before i would consider shoulder mounting another one.

For the most part, if it aint worth mounting its not worth shooting has been my Motto for a long while... Im starting to feel a little different about that wirh the travel states I go to. I think shooting a nice deer on those trips might be a good logical direction for me to go buisness wise... But its hard for me not to hold out for the exceptional. Can always take a doe for food
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:59 am

I won’t mount a deer.

That’s not why i hunt.
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:07 am

Have 5 shoulder mounts I love how they look but with how expensive they are getting I think I will stick with euros unless it's bigger than the ones already mounted.
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:54 am

I made a rule for myself 2 or 3 years ago that I'd only shoulder mount something if it was a top 3 deer for me. Makes the standard a little harder to meet each season and makes the overall wall quality go up over time. Can always euro or plaque mount a buck that doesn't make top 3.
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:25 am

I have enough. Just collect antlers. In 2021 I missed a true 170 in hill country
That I would mount.
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:40 am

For the last couple of years, it's been shoot only if it will be my personal best (score wise) or some type of freaky rack. With half a dozen mounts, I really don't need any more and the cost is also somewhat limiting.

We stopped eating venison, so the meat is not a motivator. Don't care to shoot something just to donate it to the HUSH program.

I haven't drawn my bow on a deer the last two seasons.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:23 am

My daughters friend dad owns 300 acres up north. He said his only rule is if you shoot it you mount it. Ok that’s great. I think he thought I was gonna ask for permission. My personal goal is it will have to be 140” or bigger since I already have 10 on the wall that size and smaller. Been doing all euro mounts lately
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:38 am

seazofcheeze wrote:I made a rule for myself 2 or 3 years ago that I'd only shoulder mount something if it was a top 3 deer for me. Makes the standard a little harder to meet each season and makes the overall wall quality go up over time. Can always euro or plaque mount a buck that doesn't make top 3.

This is what Ive been doing, everything else gets Euro.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:06 am

I would only mount a 185”+ deer. None of my bucks have been mounted, diy skull plaques only and a single euro i did for fun. So glad i did it that way there is no way i could have all my deer mounted around the house.

My Dad never mounted one either and i just adopted his ways i guess.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:23 am

Between shoulder mounted deer, a couple bear and fish I don’t have much space anymore. Add in my dads mounts I inherited and it’s getting to be a big problem. Everything is spread out between my living room, spare rooms, basement and garage. Been doing more euro mounts in recent years. Most of my real old racks are on plaques and will likely do more in the future. Gonna have to be at least 150” or better with a unique rack to even consider another shoulder mount. I need to build a big cabin to offload some stuff to make room.

Mounts are cool when your younger but as you age it’s hard not to think about what will happen to them when your gone. Will anybody even care? I like them for memories but beyond that there is very little value to them to anybody else.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:21 am

I can't afford the divorce so i just stick with DIY European mounts.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:51 am

I'm too cheap to shoulder mount something. For me personally, I'd rather spend those hundreds of dollars on new gear or tags. I just diy euro mounted all the bucks I've killed. I think I have 7 or 8 now and they're just all piled up on a shelf in my man cave like an antler chandelier. Maybe someday I'll hang em on a wall or something.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:35 am

I'm at the point in my hunting career where I won't shoot a buck if it's too small to do a euro mount on it. Anything that is exceptional for my area gets a shoulder mount. And that's not always score dependent. Sometimes the memories of the hunt for a particular deer are bigger than the rack on it's head. I don't care what anyone thinks of my wall, and I don't care what happens to them when I'm gone. So if I want to get a shoulder mount I just do it and don't look back.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”