Man Card Check....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Re: Man Card Check....

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:10 am

Yoder wrote:I'm 49. I try to get the lightest gear that I think is reasonable to make my life easier. I have a LW sit and climb and a LW Assault 2 with some garbage Hawk Helium sticks. Even with that, I'm looking at 30-40lbs with stand, steps, harness, bow, clothes if it's cold. Even if my setup was half the weight, if I was out of shape I couldn't carry it where I want to hunt anyway. Last year I lost 30 lbs before the season. I spend about 90 min a week on the stair climber, do some weight training and whenever I hike I wear a 40lb weight vest. That vest reminds me of how of how fat I was. By doing all this, it made hunting no factor this past season. For the first time in years, I didn't have to worry if I could make it up a hill or carry all my gear in. I hope to be one of those guys that can still drag out a deer in his 70's.

If you aren’t allowed to pack them out deer carts are your friend. When i was in my late 20s i was fit as a fiddle and drug a mature 10 pointer 1.6 miles on dry ground with no snow. It was in the kettle moraine so up and down hills and valleys too. The buck had no hair left on the side dragging on the ground. NEVER AGAIN, even young and fit that was brutal and just plain stupid when you can use a cart.

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:11 am

double post
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:32 am

The closest things to social media I use is this forum and watching a few select YouTube videos occasionally. I don’t watch hunting shows on TV (nor any TV for that matter.) That has resulted in me seeing zero selfies of dudes showing off expensive gear.

If I want a piece of gear I research my options and buy it. I have a lot of gear but most of it gets used.

However I do think the gear and gimmick stuff is a bit over the top. Last year before starting a track job my dad and I were rounding up some stuff like flashlights, gutting gloves, etc. I watched him spend 10 minutes looking for his new butthole remover to take with us. Did a few of these :doh: :doh: :doh:
Big Tracks Matter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”