Man Card Check....

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Re: Man Card Check....

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:26 pm

Work smarter, not harder. The lightest weight, highest quality gear one can afford is one way to do that.

perchsoup

Unread postby perchsoup » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm

There will always be those “gear” guys. I know a couple of them that get all geeked out about the newest broadheads come summer time. Used to see a lot of it with scent lok. See it with cell cams now.

Don’t get me wrong, buying a mobile set up was a game changer, but I’ve learned it’s now work, not a newer version or new gimmick that’s going to put me on deer.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:11 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:Work smarter, not harder. The lightest weight, highest quality gear one can afford is one way to do that.

X2
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 pm

RadioHunter wrote:What I think this post boils down to at its core is how people feel about other people spending their money and smacks of childish jealousy.

It can be hard to see others have things we cannot, whether do to life and its circumstances or our own choices. I'd suggest not judging, as the hurtful thoughts you may harbor only serve to bring your own self and mood down. Once I stopped caring about what others, and particularly strangers think about me or me about them my life has been so much better. I may never have all the "stuff" but I at least have confidence in myself.

If a guy wants to spend all his hard earned scratch on gear, I say go for it. these guys could be doing less manly hobbies but chose to take up or pursue hunting.

Im 31 years old, make six figures a year, and can buy any piece of hunting equipment that I could possibly want..... And guess what.... I dont because in know where the true results come from. Not the money, or new gear, but from the blood, sweat, and tears (aka the effort and heart). Your take on this post is completely off. I don't really care who buys what, when, and how... My point is that its sad that hunting has become more about the clothes you wear and stand or saddle you sit in than the hunt itself. Guys are spending more time taking selfies with their gear than enjoying hunting for what it is.....

What attracted me to Dan and the hunting beast from the beginning was the originality and authenticity. Here you have this long hair guy getting lost in swamps, killing respectable bucks with a no name bow, flannel, blue jeans, and mostly diy gear. Dan has been successful not because of his gear, but because of the effort, his passion for bowhunting, and his never give up attitude. That's what a true man looks like to me when it comes to hunting. Not some guy sitting in his tree stand with 3,000 dollars of sitka gear on and playing on his phone until dark.

NO jealousy here man... just stating the facts.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 pm

Cool shtuff ain’t cheap and cheap shtuff ain’t cool.

Seriously tho, like you I appreciate the quality gear that is available to us. I feel like a kid in a candy store anytime I need something new the last few years. But I agree it seems some people can get too wrapped up in it.

But tbh I think some guys enjoy the new gear and tweaking their setups as much as they like killing deer… lol
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:38 pm

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
RadioHunter wrote:What I think this post boils down to at its core is how people feel about other people spending their money and smacks of childish jealousy.

It can be hard to see others have things we cannot, whether do to life and its circumstances or our own choices. I'd suggest not judging, as the hurtful thoughts you may harbor only serve to bring your own self and mood down. Once I stopped caring about what others, and particularly strangers think about me or me about them my life has been so much better. I may never have all the "stuff" but I at least have confidence in myself.

If a guy wants to spend all his hard earned scratch on gear, I say go for it. these guys could be doing less manly hobbies but chose to take up or pursue hunting.

Im 31 years old, make six figures a year, and can buy any piece of hunting equipment that I could possibly want..... And guess what.... I dont because in know where the true results come from. Not the money, or new gear, but from the blood, sweat, and tears (aka the effort and heart). Your take on this post is completely off. I don't really care who buys what, when, and how... My point is that its sad that hunting has become more about the clothes you wear and stand or saddle you sit in than the hunt itself. Guys are spending more time taking selfies with their gear than enjoying hunting for what it is.....

What attracted me to Dan and the hunting beast from the beginning was the originality and authenticity. Here you have this long hair guy getting lost in swamps, killing respectable bucks with a no name bow, flannel, blue jeans, and mostly diy gear. Dan has been successful not because of his gear, but because of the effort, his passion for bowhunting, and his never give up attitude. That's what a true man looks like to me when it comes to hunting. Not some guy sitting in his tree stand with 3,000 dollars of sitka gear on and playing on his phone until dark.

Just an FYI, Dan used Lone Wolf stands which were the top of the line, best of the best, most expensive stands of that era. Now he uses his $700 Beast Stand and sticks. He may wear flannel but he wasn’t/isn’t using cheap cut rate stands by any stretch.

You can both work hard in the deer woods AND use high end gear at the same time.

I think you’re looking at too much social media stuff from the description you gave. I don’t know a single guy who is taking selfies and asking his wife if he looks cool in his camo. 99% of guys are out there hunting. Social media skews reality. Not sure why anyone uses those apps anymore now that everyone knows what it’s all about.
Stingray713
500 Club

Unread postby Stingray713 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:38 pm

I love hunting. I like cool stuff. Go with high-end stuff when it’s needed. Cheaper stuff if I can make it work.

Got some buddies I’ve gone coyote hunting with a couple times in the past month. They have monoculars that cost more than my e-bike. AR setups that cost more than my rifle, bow, and stand combined. All for an animal that they don’t eat! I feel lucky I didn’t get sucked down that rabbit hole and am only obsessed with deer hunting!

My buddies that hunt ducks might be worse than the coyote guys. :o
Strategically Inefficient
RedSnow

Unread postby RedSnow » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:47 pm

Couldn't agree more. So many guys out here matching camo like chicks match their outfits. Probably spending more money on them too.

As the old saying goes... It's not the bow it's the Indian...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Just enjoy the ride, whether you're in a clapped-out Ford or a Ram T-Rex. (relatively speaking)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:53 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:
PAbowhunter10 wrote:

Just an FYI, Dan used Lone Wolf stands which were the top of the line, best of the best, most expensive stands of that era. Now he uses his $700 Beast Stand and sticks. He may wear flannel but he wasn’t/isn’t using cheap cut rate stands by any stretch.

You can both work hard in the deer woods AND use high end gear at the same time.

I think you’re looking at too much social media stuff from the description you gave. I don’t know a single guy who is taking selfies and asking his wife if he looks cool in his camo. 99% of guys are out there hunting. Social media skews reality. Not sure why anyone uses those apps anymore now that everyone knows what it’s all about.

Dan I believe also had ties to the lw company somehow back then
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:58 pm

Ol Split ( ) Toes wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
PAbowhunter10 wrote:

Dan I believe also had ties to the lw company somehow back then

I don’t either and I would agree that the social media apps are breeding grounds for this sort of behavior.
I have nothing against quality gear and I agree that it is great that the gear in our sport is evolving into some really innovative stuff.
My comments were made because it seems like we are more concerned with how we look rather than results.
Ryan
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:59 am

I bought a new Calloway driver for my golf bag this year. Can’t wait to hit a drive 320 yards and take a selfy with it!

Jk

I agree, hard work definitely wins versus good gear.

If you combine hard work WITH good gear tho….fantastic.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:23 am

Who cares.... Men shouldn't have time to worry about how other men spend their time and money. Hunting is hunting. Gun, bow, crossbow, recurve, saddle, ground, climber, flannels, camo.... It's all just hunting.

In the grand scheme of earning your "man card", hunting is near the bottom of the list.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:33 am

Evanszach7 wrote:Who cares.... Men shouldn't have time to worry about how other men spend their time and money. Hunting is hunting. Gun, bow, crossbow, recurve, saddle, ground, climber, flannels, camo.... It's all just hunting.

In the grand scheme of earning your "man card", hunting is near the bottom of the list.

100% I would rate it about 3rd or 4th on my man card list
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:02 am

Hawthorne wrote:
Evanszach7 wrote:Who cares.... Men shouldn't have time to worry about how other men spend their time and money. Hunting is hunting. Gun, bow, crossbow, recurve, saddle, ground, climber, flannels, camo.... It's all just hunting.

100% I would rate it about 3rd or 4th on my man card list

:clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”