Scent Lok

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Scent Lok

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 am

Never bought anything Scent Lock. I'm too cheap. :lol: Have washed my clothes and myself in baking soda, and used some sprays, but not religiously. Put my clothes in a bag of dry leaves. Now I don't bother much. If Dan and countless others going back before these modern inventions managed to kill deer, then I can too. Spend that time and energy and money on learning and less on gimmicks.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:15 am

I was a victim too. Nothing wrong with it. I agree with the people who say if you believe it gives you an edge, then do it. Some people carry a lucky rabbit foot, some carry a lucky coin or pocket knife. Bottom line is, if it puts your brain in the right spot, then it works.
Ryan
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:42 am

I think it comes down to confidence, if a magical suit will make you push far enough and pick the right setup then it did its job. Ebehart has confidence that's why he kills, if that suit gives it to him so be it. Not for me though.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
DeFiNiTeLyNotBrAd

Unread postby DeFiNiTeLyNotBrAd » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:44 am

If somebody other than Scent Lok could prove a clothes dryer is hot enough to reactivate carbon and remove smell, then id consider trying it. I think John Eberhart likes to here John Eberhart talk about John Eberhart. Did you know he has 50 book bucks? Of course you do because he says it every 10 minutes. ;) The guy is a good hunter no doubt, but he seems to think he's the only person in the country hunting heavy pressure areas that can consistently kill big bucks. Merino wool however, i can get behind that.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:36 am

If you have a closet full of Scentloc. No need to stop wearing it! But you may want to stop relying on it to keep deer from smelling you. And if you don't mind the time it takes to keep activating it. Go for it! But keeping track of the wind, thermals and entry/exit routes. Will be more effective!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:22 am

If you have it wear it. I hear it's quality made but don't trust it being scent free. The only scent elimination that I spent my money on was the HS scent wafers back in the 90s and a few bottles of spray. I was lucky not to fall in that trap but dang near did!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:27 am

I recall doing earth wafer things also.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:06 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:I recall doing earth wafer things also.

X2. Had them hanging everywhere. My truck, closet with my hunting clothes…. Pinned to my hat.
Ryan
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:12 am

ThePreBanMan wrote:If you think it helps, use it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? You shouldn't..

He’s just asking for opinions. Nothing wrong with that. I have done that on this forum many times.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:13 am

I have scent lok, scent blocker, kryptek, kuiu, icebreaker hunt line, first lite, and predator camo in my basement, garage, attic, etc. They ALL get used as needed.

My point, just continue to use what you have and ignore what anyone else thinks. If you’re in the right place at the right time you’ll kill deer in those scent lok clothes, guaranteed. They have great hunting clothes actually some of my stuff is easily 10 years old.
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:58 am

I think its pretty good quality clothing, but I don't buy into the scent elimination hype. Take this with a grain of salt because I don't own any and never have, but my old hunting buddy swore by it 15 or 20yrs ago and I remember purposely setting up down wind of him so he would wind bump deer to me... never killed anything good but he always wondered why he didn't see anything and I was covered up in deer, I would mention maybe the stuff don't work... I was always wrong lol. He still wears the same clothes and they are in good shape.
I say if you got it wear it, no sense in selling it if you decide to not believe in it, you already have the money invested. Take care of it and it should last a long while.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:53 am

Ghost Hunter wrote:If you can dress head to toe in scent lok. Then fart and you can smell it. It doesn't work. Unless wind direction causes it to escape your sensors. I know, I know but it does get point across.

Man I had the opposite experience! I used to fart in my scent lok and couldn’t smell it, so that was my justification that it worked. I got sick of using it a few years ago and ditched it. I still think it reduces scent, but have no interest in using it anymore.
Big Tracks Matter
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:27 am

If you have that much invested in it, might as well use It. Cant hurt. Then you can draw your own conclusions.
Ryan549
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan549 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:41 am

I’ve never owned any scentlok- but it seems that whether or not it actually works as advertised- that the quality of the garments is better than average based on what everyone is saying.
Ryan
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:58 am

I fell for the Scent Lok trick back in 2006. Bought quite a few outfits and religiously sprayed down with Scent Killer spray. Thought it was helping me as I often had deer downwind. Later I discovered milkweed and learned air currents and how terrain and thermals affected my scent stream. It was easy enough to figure out from then on that my scent was never reaching deer in certain spots even though they were straight downwind.

Now I hunt strictly using the wind and thermals in my favor. I can count on one hand how many times I had deer blow at me in the last decade and often have deer directly downwind of me. Milkweed proves that my scent stream never reached them over and over. If I was a Scent Lok fanboy I’d repeatedly say that my fancy carbon suit is working. Anybody that thinks they can greatly reduce their scent using Scent Lok should take the time to do the studies themselves to find the truth. I think they would be very surprised with the results. Stop believing what advertisements and other people claim. You’ll be much better off in the long run and free up money and time to spend on what’s important.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”