Scent Lok

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nhxbowhunter

Scent Lok

Unread postby nhxbowhunter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:40 am

Well , Last nite I watched another Dan and Josh series on YOUTUBE... Dan and Josh, very clearly gave their feelings and reasons for why they believe Scent blocking products just DONT WORK ! It is very possible they are 100 % right. But where I am going with this is >>>> Dam I have bought a whole lot of Scent lok clothing over the years,,, Jackets , coats, gloves, head gear etc .. Scent away sprays...and last but not least, several different Ozone generators which claim to eliminate Scents ....Period.. Affter watching , Dan and Josh with their explanations.. all that came to my mind was.. Did I get sucked into a hunters nightmare?
A marketing scheme that I believed would make me " smell invisible". If so , hook line and sinker.. I took the bait.. Thinking about it,, Dam, thats alot of $$$$..
Not that I am challenging Dan or Josh by any means. so please dont take me wrong here.. But I always thought the stuff helped. Maybe ?? You see a guy like john Eberhart and he swears by it ,, bottom line.. I ve learned alot watching Dan explain what he does and why it works, so I believe the guy knows what hes talking about. I would like to hear other folks thoughts on this.. I will continue to wear my scent lok,, why ??? Dam I ve got a couple closets full, thats why. The ozone genrator,, personally, I dont know.. it leaves a heck of a scent behind to eliminate scent..so as I close on this,, I see that big S on my scent lok hat,,,, is that short for Sucker ????
Thanks,
Stan

Jackson Marsh

Re: Scent Lok

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:48 am

Most of us on the Beast have been down the scent control rabbit hole, including myself. I now only pay attention to 3 things: wind direction, thermals, and my scent trail. I get busted less than when I used scent control (sprays, rubber boots, and carbon clothing).

Scent control may help, it's almost impossible to quantify, but I don't miss NOT using it and I do okay.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:59 am

I think most of us have a scent lok suit hanging down in the basement. Giving up scent lok and the sprays was one of the hardest things I did after hearing Dan's thoughts on them when I discovered the beast. Dan's points made a whole lot of sense and I also felt like I had been had NY good marketing. Even after I gave it up and just started learning to better play and predict the wind/thermals, I was second guessing Dan. It took about half a season to realize he was right, that stuff is pixie dust.

I almost lost a good friend debating scent control. We can't talk about it anymore cause he gets all bent out of shape. It's hard to admit you've been fooled. But admitting it is worth it.
Trail

Unread postby Trail » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:28 am

Scent Lok/Scent Control is and will forever be a touchy subject to some. I'm sure there's some benefit to using the sprays and other products, rather that be eliminating a tad bit of scent or more. You will hear people swear by it and some people call it all rubbish which isn't specific to scent control at all. Plenty of products and other aspects of hunting are divisive.

I don't put much faith in it but I've also never took the deep dive that some people do. Playing the wind, thermals, and simply watching where you walk seems far more fun than the near regiments that some people follow.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 am

If you can dress head to toe in scent lok. Then fart and you can smell it. It doesn't work. Unless wind direction causes it to escape your sensors. I know, I know but it does get point across.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:30 am

If you think it helps, use it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? You shouldn't..
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:04 pm

ThePreBanMan wrote:If you think it helps, use it. Who cares what anyone else thinks? You shouldn't..

Very true. If it is part of what you do so be it.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:06 pm

It’s been a scientifically proven to absorb some scent. Enough to fool a deers nose probably no. If it gives you more confidence then use it. Some say camo doesn’t make a difference but I wear my ASAT suit almost every hunt i think it helps
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:35 pm

I went head over heels into scent control about 15 years ago. I spent alot of money on special scent loc clothing. I spent a lot of time washing and drying (activating!) clothes and accessories. It turned out not to be the silver bullet I was hoping for at the time. Since then I have taken the attitude that I want to hunt the deer on their terms and even if I could beat their nose I wouldn't do it. It's just more fun for me now!

I will say that all the scent loc clothing I bought was top notch quality, durable stuff. I'm actually wearing a scent loc sweatshirt as I type this (I bought it 15 years ago).
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:47 pm

It’s water under the bridge at this point. You had to wear something in the woods. You can put beast tactics to the test in the field and make a judgement yourself. It’s a very free feeling washing your gear like twice a year.
Persistence is undefeated.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:54 pm

I bought a suit a long time ago and from the get go I didn't think it was going to fool a deers nose. Surprisingly It's to this day one of my favorite go to pieces of gear every season simply because it's a quality piece of clothing. It smells like all my other gear.

I pay attention to the wind not only to keep my smell downwind of the deer but also to help me guess what the deer are going to feel comfortable doing with the given wind.

You can't not pay attention to the wind when it's so important to the deer.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:45 pm

I’ve never bought into scent lok, ozone, mystical sprays, 5 minute abs, or magic diet pills. Never tried Banjo minnows, mighty bite lures or any other nonsense. Also have never bought crap Billy Mays said was great. Call me old fashioned I guess. But if I ever find myself in hard enough times in the whitetail woods to rely on magic to solve them. Then I would flat out quit.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:15 am

I think scent lok makes some great clothes. I have never bought into the scent elimination side of it though and never used any other scent elimination products. If you like using it then use it no matter what Dan says. I’ve learned a lot from Dan but also learned a lot from folks on this site and other places. I don’t follow Dan’s stuff anymore, not sure who Josh is, it’s just not my cup of tea. I listen to very few podcasts anymore-a lot of them just seem like the same old thing. Find what works for you and keep doing it is my suggestion.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:56 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve never bought into scent lok, ozone, mystical sprays, 5 minute abs, or magic diet pills. Never tried Banjo minnows, mighty bite lures or any other nonsense. Also have never bought crap Billy Mays said was great. Call me old fashioned I guess. But if I ever find myself in hard enough times in the whitetail woods to rely on magic to solve them. Then I would flat out quit.

I've caught lots of fish on the Banjo minnow. Lol. Is it magic? No, but it's a good lure in the right place and the right time. Bass and crappie. Scent loc is not for me though.
Bowhunting Brian
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunting Brian » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:56 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I’ve never bought into scent lok, ozone, mystical sprays, 5 minute abs, or magic diet pills. Never tried Banjo minnows, mighty bite lures or any other nonsense. Also have never bought crap Billy Mays said was great. Call me old fashioned I guess. But if I ever find myself in hard enough times in the whitetail woods to rely on magic to solve them. Then I would flat out quit.

I've caught lots of fish on the Banjo minnow. Lol. Is it magic? No, but it's a good lure in the right place and the right time. Bass and crappie. Scent loc is not for me though.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”