The fat lady sang... How did your season go?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

headgear
500 Club

Re: The fat lady sang... How did your season go?

Unread postby headgear » Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:30 am

Another good season, mostly in young hunter training mode with a 10 and 15 year old, we did great fishing and getting on ducks and grouse. We deer hunted hard youth and rifle season but couldn't get then any clear shots so that was kind of a bummer but still a good learning experience. I got a good 8 with the rifle from the ground at close range but didn't get out as much with the bow as normal, time kind of flew by but looking forward to next year.

blackwidow
500 Club

Unread postby blackwidow » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:50 am

We had a good season here. I say we, because my wife and I both hunt and we are a team. We had 2 bucks on our radar, and we got both of them on the same day. Then my brothers, dad, and I all got good bucks on our WY trip. I also ended up killing a doe late season with my recurve. A lot of family members killed good bucks this year as well. I think between us (wife and myself) and immediate family, we got a total of 10 bucks. I believe two of those deer were 3.5, and the rest were all older than that. I was especially happy for everybody else’s success. I think I like getting a phone call or text from somebody saying they got one better than getting one myself.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:14 am

Just seen this post. Strange year, after almost dieing in a car accident in summer wasn’t sure I’d be able to climb a tree or hang a stand so I waited till week before season opened to try and was able with a lot of pain so it was on lol My target buck broke an entire beam off in July so I ended up passing some pretty nice up and comers throughout the season and killed a decent racked mature 5 year old I had 3 years of pictures of so it was a fun season all around .
Mr. Lehey

Unread postby Mr. Lehey » Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:51 am

My season went pretty good, I was able to take 3 bucks between upper Michigan and WI. With that said I still feel a little unsatisfied. I never knew where these deer bedded or exactly where they came from, I typically try to find food and trails and set up stands accordingly. I feel like I don't have much control over my hunts, it's more of a sit and hope type of situation. Though it works out for me from time to time I'm looking to get more out of my hunts. I lease 3 different 40's from a farmer, I always thought that was a blessing but now I feel like that limits me too much. I can't do anything outside of the property lines as far as scouting or hunting. This upcoming year will be my first year trying beast tactics and hunting more public land around my house instead of going up north every weekend to rotate through the same 10 treestands. I've been watching tons of Youtube videos and went to one of Dan's workshops last month which has given me a new kind of excitement and outlook towards deer hunting. At this point I've shot enough deer and mediocre bucks over the years that I don't care if I shoot a deer or not, my main goal now is to figure deer out more and to start having more encounters and possibly tagging a "big" deer because I had him figured out. My main hurdle to get over is finding exact bedding locations and getting closer to those deer. Can't wait to see how all that goes!
Steelhead125
Facebook: Bruce Kozielec

Unread postby Steelhead125 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:33 am

I had a pretty good season . Shot my biggest buck to date and also killed a coyote and a doe in a span of about 3 weeks.
Public Land Hunter

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”