Inconsistent wind direction

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Crosswind

Inconsistent wind direction

Unread postby Crosswind » Sat May 06, 2023 10:39 am

I deer hunt public land in Mississippi. I understand the concept of thermals and swirling winds like down in thermal hubs. I am convinced, through my own experiences with deer, that wind is by far one of the most important things to consider when planning a hunt. However, in my home state the wind may be predicted to be out of a certain direction, but in reality it is constantly changing and swirling. I mean every few seconds the wind is changing directions all times of the year in all types of terrain, even flat ground. I was wondering if any of y’all from the Midwest or northeast or out west had the same issue. From listening to podcasts and watching hunting videos it seems as though the wind is pretty consistent in other parts of the country.

Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Re: Inconsistent wind direction

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat May 06, 2023 11:19 am

Sounds like FL with the constant change in wind direction
I’ll drop milkweed and it will go every which way

I have nothing to add, maybe get a bit higher in the tree?
Last edited by Sailfish_WC on Sat May 06, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat May 06, 2023 11:20 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:Sounds like FL with the constant change in wind direction
I’ll drop milkweed and it’ll go every which way.

I have nothing to add, maybe get a bit higher in the tree?
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sat May 06, 2023 1:05 pm

Crosswind wrote:I deer hunt public land in Mississippi. I understand the concept of thermals and swirling winds like down in thermal hubs. I am convinced, through my own experiences with deer, that wind is by far one of the most important things to consider when planning a hunt. However, in my home state the wind may be predicted to be out of a certain direction, but in reality it is constantly changing and swirling. I mean every few seconds the wind is changing directions all times of the year in all types of terrain, even flat ground. I was wondering if any of y’all from the Midwest or northeast or out west had the same issue. From listening to podcasts and watching hunting videos it seems as though the wind is pretty consistent in other parts of the country.

Are you using milkweed? I’m in TN and it’s inconsistent here at times too. I don’t and won’t bow hunt if I’ve got no wind or the wrong wind.

During gun season after most of the leaves have dropped the wind seems to stay more consistent. A north west to south west wind at 8 mphs is usually most consistent.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Crosswind

Unread postby Crosswind » Sun May 07, 2023 3:47 am

I did buy some milkweed online last summer and I’ve used it. It really does a great job. One day there was no wind and I was hunting a huge ridge on a transition between a river bottom and mature hardwoods. The milkweed would float down in the same direction all the way out of sight for like three hours. Eventually I heard a deer blow at me from the same direction just out of sight.
I am definitely not surprised to hear that the wind in Florida is all over the place.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Wed May 24, 2023 3:45 am

Central GA here.

I know the nightmare all too well. Unfortunately my interpretation of it is the lack of any consistent wind. What happens is micro climates take over unless there’s a front with a strong wind pushing through.

I’ll see a lot of gusts that swirl off tree edges, thermals getting pulled up or down due to hills, water, shade from tree canopies etc..

Typically September and October are the worst. Leaves on the trees and no real consistent winds until we get the North/NW winds off the Winter storms. East based winds seem to be the most inconsistent.

I’ve actually began using Ozone generators such as Ozonics to treat my clothes and in the tree. As much as I talked bad about Ozone, I’ve noticed better results than without it.
The only other way is to only hunt until a good front moves through...
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Wed May 24, 2023 6:13 am

Just put on your scent loc guy, you'll be fine.
dbtom

Unread postby dbtom » Thu May 25, 2023 1:57 pm

I also experience this inconsistency in wind direction. No matter what terrain I hunt. I hunt in the Northeast and a Westerly wind is supposed to be the prevailing wind direction. I laugh when I hear people talking about hunting a specific wind direction. It doesn’t matter where I am, the wind can shift 180 degrees at any moment and any direction in between. It’s very frustrating.
I completely understand.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri May 26, 2023 1:15 pm

Shifty winds are a problem all across the country. You just have to learn to leverage terrain and conditions to your advantage.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Dpoole90

Unread postby Dpoole90 » Sat May 27, 2023 5:01 am

It's all apart of the game man, which makes it so much sweeter when you do figure it out and beat the odds. Use that milkweed like it's going out of style and realize that some areas are just nearly impossible to figure out unfortunately. Keep your head up and don't get discouraged when the whole woods is blowing at you, it happens to us all at some point no matter where you hunt on the map. Cheating the wind, playing the wind, hunting the wind, what ever you want to call it, takes years to master.
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Thu Jun 01, 2023 7:00 am

PK_ wrote:Shifty winds are a problem all across the country. You just have to learn to leverage terrain and conditions to your advantage.

Unfortunately those old dawgs know it better than we ever will
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:04 am

If it's that bad, I could not plan anything or rely on it then I'd consider the fire smoke cover scent trick. I also wouldn't hunt wind specific beds, I'd concentrate on the thickest, most secure areas where they can bed on any winds.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”