what other animal are you curious to eat?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Uncle Lou

what other animal are you curious to eat?

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed May 10, 2023 11:47 am

Maybe I shouldn't put this in the deer forum, but besides deer, what animal would you like to try or have tried that you would like to opine on.

I have tried many ungulates, not enough, but many. Elk is a favorite, would like to shoot a moose because they are delicious, tried antelope a couple times and really like it, but never shot one. Caribou used to be on my list, but after I read they eat lichen and their meat is about as protein rich as rabbit, I kind of lost interest.

Every time I eat bear I like it. The two I shot were absolutely delicious, you really have to chill that meat fast, and for me it helped that I shot smaller bear. They drop fast, easier to drag, cool down quicker, and again were delicious.

On smaller mammals I recently tried beaver. If everyone tried that they would be an endangered species. I tried muskrat and didn't like it. Squirrel and rabbit are good, but many years since I shot some. I need to do that more.

I like goose certain ways, would like to eat some woodcock as I like dark meat. I may have tried it but don't remember. Not certain how at a grouse camp many moons ago I couldn't have. Dove is delicious, all those people who think they shouldn't be shot because they are too small or whatever they say about them never had a batch. They are delicious.

I love wild pheasant and turkey.

So what would you all like to try/shoot?

Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
purebowhunting
500 Club

Re: what other animal are you curious to eat?

Unread postby purebowhunting » Wed May 10, 2023 12:11 pm

I'd like to try bobcat and mountain lion. Had the chance to get some bobcat backstraps and passed and have regretted it since. Looked a bit like pork, hear is pretty good. I have also tried beaver, though it was very good. More of that in my future.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed May 10, 2023 12:34 pm

purebowhunting wrote:I'd like to try bobcat and mountain lion. Had the chance to get some bobcat backstraps and passed and have regretted it since. Looked a bit like pork, hear is pretty good. I have also tried beaver, though it was very good. More of that in my future.

Great call. I have a cat fetish myself. Been trying, half but, to get a bobcat for a few years and went on a mountain lion hunt in 2012, all of them unsuccessful. I definitely want to try both. Also heard it is pork like, but want to try myself. Lots of people say everything like gator, snake, etc, tastes like chicken, I want some bobcat and mountain lion to see what it tastes like.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:04 pm

I've eaten duck, deer, squirrel,rabbit,wild hog , octopus, alligator. And of course seafood. Huge fan of swordfish and amberjack.

Gator and octopus were really chewy once was enough.. Gator is like eating a rubber chicken.
Tried raw fish several times not my thing I prefer cooked.

Deer and Duck are great I haven't had duck in years because it occurs during deer season but it taste amazing soaked in Italian dressing ,wrapped in bacon and grilled.
I've heard my whole life BBQ goat is amazing so it would be top of my list too try.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Wed May 10, 2023 1:35 pm

Two friends and I butchered 3 big snapping turtles one time and invited a bunch of people over for a turtle soup party. It was awesome, and most people raved about it. Took us longer to butcher them turtles than doing a deer.

Some guys at work one time killed a porcupine on the Jobsite and cooked it in the job trailer. Shoulda tried it but those guys weren’t clean about anything so I passed. Some day I want to legally harvest one and eat it.

I was skimming a muskrat I trapped and decided to cut off a hindquarter to eat. I just fried it up without any spices to taste the meat. Sorta weird taste. Probably be ok cooked using a recipe.

A lot of southern hillbillies eat possum and love it. Don’t know if I could take that plunge.
Big Tracks Matter
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:51 pm

I grew up very poor. Anything tastes good fried in peanut oil. Coveres up scent and taste.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 11, 2023 12:51 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:I've eaten duck, deer, squirrel,rabbit,wild hog , octopus, alligator. And of course seafood. Huge fan of swordfish and amberjack.

Gator and octopus were really chewy once was enough.. Gator is like eating a rubber chicken.
Tried raw fish several times not my thing I prefer cooked.

Deer and Duck are great I haven't had duck in years because it occurs during deer season but it taste amazing soaked in Italian dressing ,wrapped in bacon and grilled.
I've heard my whole life BBQ goat is amazing so it would be top of my list too try.

I've had gator and octopus in a restaurant, I don't know if that counts with all the salt they use. I've shot some high fence hogs, I think 3 even got a Dall Ram on one of these events (wont call them hunt, but they were fun). That dall ram was different, never have hunted wild sheep, that would be fun, but might be getting past the age to chase them since I don't have any points anywhere.

I like duck and geese, but also don't do it much. And I am down with that BBQ goat. That sounds doable. My friend in the thumb had some goats in the pen when I was up there on Saturday. Might have to inquire on that.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 11, 2023 12:55 am

DeadHeadSpread wrote:Two friends and I butchered 3 big snapping turtles one time and invited a bunch of people over for a turtle soup party. It was awesome, and most people raved about it. Took us longer to butcher them turtles than doing a deer.

Some guys at work one time killed a porcupine on the Jobsite and cooked it in the job trailer. Shoulda tried it but those guys weren’t clean about anything so I passed. Some day I want to legally harvest one and eat it.

I was skimming a muskrat I trapped and decided to cut off a hindquarter to eat. I just fried it up without any spices to taste the meat. Sorta weird taste. Probably be ok cooked using a recipe.

A lot of southern hillbillies eat possum and love it. Don’t know if I could take that plunge.

I speared a snapping turtle once, of course not through the shell, the neck where else. I cut that thing up and I thought it was absolutely disgusting smelling, I froze it and never ate it. Hate to admit that, as I really wanted to try it.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 11, 2023 1:00 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I grew up very poor. Anything tastes good fried in peanut oil. Coveres up scent and taste.

Not crow or coyote? If I ever eat those, someone would have to lie to me. I would never eat those two knowingly.
DeadHeadSpread

Unread postby DeadHeadSpread » Thu May 11, 2023 1:15 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
DeadHeadSpread wrote:Two friends and I butchered 3 big snapping turtles one time and invited a bunch of people over for a turtle soup party. It was awesome, and most people raved about it. Took us longer to butcher them turtles than doing a deer.

I speared a snapping turtle once, of course not through the shell, the neck where else. I cut that thing up and I thought it was absolutely disgusting smelling, I froze it and never ate it. Hate to admit that, as I really wanted to try it.

My friend researched it extensively before we did it. The trick was to keep the turtles in a plastic tub for a week (alive) and change the water daily, then dispatch them. All the stink, feces, mud went away.
Big Tracks Matter
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu May 11, 2023 1:26 am

Yeh, I definitely didn't do all that plastic tub stuff. Kind of hard to once you spear him through the neck.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu May 11, 2023 2:21 am

Uncle Lou wrote:
Brokenarrow1980 wrote:I grew up very poor. Anything tastes good fried in peanut oil. Coveres up scent and taste.

Not crow or coyote? If I ever eat those, someone would have to lie to me. I would never eat those two knowingly.

I ate whatever my parents cooked and I'm sure I had coon possum and groundhogs....... I don't think yotes were prevalent yet. I may of ate a crow who knows lol
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Ol Split ( ) Toes
500 Club

Unread postby Ol Split ( ) Toes » Thu May 11, 2023 5:27 am

I've had mountain lion and it is very similar to pork just a little tougher, but definitely edible.
Agreed on beaver it is tasty.
Birds I prefer upland gamebirds grouse being my favorite, ducks aren't bad.
Of the ungelets elk and moose at the top both are delicious and blow whitetails out of the water, haven't tried a mule deer, antelope is ok.

Bears are delicious if handled and taken care of properly.

If I could only have 3 to eat the rest of my life it would be black bear moose and elk.

Something I would like to try that I have not would be a dahl sheep heard there pretty tasty.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Thu May 11, 2023 5:52 am

I have eaten crow, ostrich, alligator, snapping turtle, goat, duck, goose, ground hog, antelope, octopus, random tweety birds, pigeon, dove, wild hog, squirrels, rabbit, deer, elk, moose, kangaroo, bison, crayfish, carp, and on n on. I am not picky n will try anything. Crow was actually not bad. Its a red meat. Ground hog was excellent.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu May 11, 2023 6:20 am

Muskrat
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”