Time to apply for Iowa...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

nocoolnamekyle

Re: Time to apply for Iowa...

Unread postby nocoolnamekyle » Tue May 16, 2023 12:51 pm

3 points here I missed one year between them points. which hurt! lol

wdog

Unread postby wdog » Tue May 16, 2023 1:00 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:3 points for me. I’ll draw next year.

What zone do you hunt Dewey?

Been hunting 9 but thinking about exploring other zones for the future with flatter terrain. Might get a little tough in the Zone 9 bluffs once I enter my 60’s.
:character-oldtimer:

I would look into Zone 4 or 5 if you want flatter terrain than bluff country. I'm thinking about Zone 9 because it's not as popular and it's closer to WI. ;)

Also closer to MN so you get a lot of weekend border jumpers. I mostly hunt well away from those close border areas in Zone 9 and much less pressure.

Yeah when I decided to go to zone 4 I was also considering zone 9 at the time. The WI and MN nonresidents were one reason I went to 4. But to be honest, I still ran into a bunch in 4 when I hunted it along with NY and AR. Zone 9 seems like not as much as long a wait so I might go that route.

It seems like every out-of-state hunter in zone 9 (except me) hunts with a crew of 5 to 10 guys...I don't understand that, but it's common to see.

Never understood the big groups for bow hunting. IMO 2 guys is the perfect amount.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 16, 2023 1:04 pm

Tim H wrote:
MitchB wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

Been hunting 9 but thinking about exploring other zones for the future with flatter terrain. Might get a little tough in the Zone 9 bluffs once I enter my 60’s.

I would look into Zone 4 or 5 if you want flatter terrain than bluff country. I'm thinking about Zone 9 because it's not as popular and it's closer to WI. ;)

Also closer to MN so you get a lot of weekend border jumpers. I mostly hunt well away from those close border areas in Zone 9 and much less pressure.

Yeah when I decided to go to zone 4 I was also considering zone 9 at the time. The WI and MN nonresidents were one reason I went to 4. But to be honest, I still ran into a bunch in 4 when I hunted it along with NY and AR. Zone 9 seems like not as much as long a wait so I might go that route.

My thoughts as well. And it seems like there’s a decent amount of public land in 9 too?

Based on the hunting atlas there seems to be a bunch. Next spring I’ll do some scouting and determine how I like it.

Something to think about. All four counties in Zone 9 are in CWD Management. I have no idea what that will mean going forward but should be looked into and considered. Hopefully they don’t take the WI approach and try to kill them all.

Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Tue May 16, 2023 1:25 pm

Buying my 5th point
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Tue May 16, 2023 1:40 pm

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
MitchB wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

My thoughts as well. And it seems like there’s a decent amount of public land in 9 too?

Based on the hunting atlas there seems to be a bunch. Next spring I’ll do some scouting and determine how I like it.

Something to think about. All four counties in Zone 9 are in CWD Management. I have no idea what that will mean going forward but should be looked into and considered. Hopefully they don’t take the WI approach and try to kill them all.

I was worried about that. It makes a big difference in Illinois, both in deer numbers and age structure. And it’s not because of the disease itself. It’s because the DNR slaughters a bunch of deer over bait after season. All three western Illinois properties I looked at today are CWD counties and that was a gut punch.

I’ll look into how Iowa handles it and if it’s the same or similar I’ll be willing to wait another year and go to a different zone.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Tue May 16, 2023 2:01 pm

Applied for zone 5. If stats are same as last year then I should draw.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Wed May 17, 2023 12:40 am

Just bought my 3rd point. Might try and draw for a lesser zone next year and be done with it.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat May 27, 2023 6:36 am

Iowa is pretty straight forward, but I wrote up some instructions for first time point buyers if anyone is interested (link below).

https://going4brokeoutdoors.com/how-to-buy-an-iowa-non-resident-deer-preference-point/
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Sat May 27, 2023 8:53 am

Bought my 4th this year. I think I will apply next year if draw results remain the same as 2022.
dbtom

Unread postby dbtom » Tue May 30, 2023 1:25 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Good luck to us all.
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:03 am

thwack16 wrote:Believe we are grabbing our fifth point. Chance I change my mind if I don’t draw Ks and it’s out prior to deadline.

Welp... I'm applied with four points. Thought on it for a week after missing KS and finally decided to go ahead and try. Feel like I'll get another "Unsuccesful". Good luck to everyone that has applied.
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:17 am

thwack16 wrote:
thwack16 wrote:Believe we are grabbing our fifth point. Chance I change my mind if I don’t draw Ks and it’s out prior to deadline.

Welp... I'm applied with four points. Thought on it for a week after missing KS and finally decided to go ahead and try. Feel like I'll get another "Unsuccesful". Good luck to everyone that has applied.

Odds are good you'll draw. I feel fairly confident with 4 myself even in zone 5. What zone you apply for?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:08 am

ehlusive wrote:
thwack16 wrote:

Odds are good you'll draw. I feel fairly confident with 4 myself even in zone 5. What zone you apply for?

Hopefully we both will
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:26 am

seazofcheeze wrote:Iowa is pretty straight forward, but I wrote up some instructions for first time point buyers if anyone is interested (link below).

https://going4brokeoutdoors.com/how-to-buy-an-iowa-non-resident-deer-preference-point/

I clicked the link and started reading, and the next thing you know I am buying a tshirt.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
mobymikeguide

Unread postby mobymikeguide » Wed Jun 14, 2023 12:44 am

Thanks for the reminder, I'll be grabbing another point, which should be #4, not sure if we will apply for tags next year or wait another for a sure bet.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”