Time to apply for Iowa...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: Time to apply for Iowa...

Unread postby Tim H » Sat May 13, 2023 2:07 am

Dewey wrote:3 points for me. I’ll draw next year.

What zone do you hunt Dewey?

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 13, 2023 4:27 am

Tim H wrote:

Been hunting 9 but thinking about exploring other zones for the future with flatter terrain. Might get a little tough in the Zone 9 bluffs once I enter my 60’s.
:character-oldtimer:
Groundhunter@1
500 Club

Unread postby Groundhunter@1 » Sat May 13, 2023 5:42 am

Don't forget water access.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat May 13, 2023 7:19 am

Groundhunter@1 wrote:Don't forget water access.

On it. :handgestures-thumbup:

Forkhorn

Unread postby Forkhorn » Sun May 14, 2023 7:18 am

Brother and I are at 3 points this yr, should draw next yr
upwind predator
500 Club

Unread postby upwind predator » Sun May 14, 2023 12:34 pm

Ill be buying my 3rd preference point this month :D. Might try to draw next year, we’ll see tho.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Tue May 16, 2023 4:19 am

I just got my second point today. I think I may go for Zone 9 in 2025 when I have 3 points.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue May 16, 2023 4:32 am

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

Been hunting 9 but thinking about exploring other zones for the future with flatter terrain. Might get a little tough in the Zone 9 bluffs once I enter my 60’s.

I would look into Zone 4 or 5 if you want flatter terrain than bluff country. I'm thinking about Zone 9 because it's not as popular and it's closer to WI. ;)
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 16, 2023 6:03 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

I would look into Zone 4 or 5 if you want flatter terrain than bluff country. I'm thinking about Zone 9 because it's not as popular and it's closer to WI. ;)

Also closer to MN so you get a lot of weekend border jumpers. I mostly hunt well away from those close border areas in Zone 9 and much less pressure.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Tue May 16, 2023 6:19 am

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

I’m going to try to scout out and maybe even hunt some western IL bluffs the next couple years. No need to start learning that on a $700 tag :lol:
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue May 16, 2023 8:59 am

Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

Also closer to MN so you get a lot of weekend border jumpers. I mostly hunt well away from those close border areas in Zone 9 and much less pressure.

Yeah when I decided to go to zone 4 I was also considering zone 9 at the time. The WI and MN nonresidents were one reason I went to 4. But to be honest, I still ran into a bunch in 4 when I hunted it along with NY and AR. Zone 9 seems like not as much as long a wait so I might go that route.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Tue May 16, 2023 9:49 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

Yeah when I decided to go to zone 4 I was also considering zone 9 at the time. The WI and MN nonresidents were one reason I went to 4. But to be honest, I still ran into a bunch in 4 when I hunted it along with NY and AR. Zone 9 seems like not as much as long a wait so I might go that route.

My thoughts as well. And it seems like there’s a decent amount of public land in 9 too?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue May 16, 2023 10:03 am

Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

It seems like every out-of-state hunter in zone 9 (except me) hunts with a crew of 5 to 10 guys...I don't understand that, but it's common to see.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue May 16, 2023 10:08 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

It seems like every out-of-state hunter in zone 9 (except me) hunts with a crew of 5 to 10 guys...I don't understand that, but it's common to see.

They watch too much The Hunting Public. :lol:
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Tue May 16, 2023 12:23 pm

MitchB wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Tim H wrote:

My thoughts as well. And it seems like there’s a decent amount of public land in 9 too?

Based on the hunting atlas there seems to be a bunch. Next spring I’ll do some scouting and determine how I like it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”