Forest Bathing

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HunterBob
500 Club

Forest Bathing

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:20 am

Read a book recently on "forest bathing," which is a practice in Japan that brings people into nature as a way to bring peace, restoration ton the spirit, and reconnection with the world we were made to live in.

Hunting has helped motivate me to go places out in nature I would never go, stay longer than I would, and learn things that I wouldn't have learned. As I read about nature bathing, I realized that I already do most of their practices, which involve using all five of your senses outdoors.

This got me to thinking though, as early in my hunting experience I was thrilled just to be outside and spending time in the woods. Seeing deer was just a plus and I didn't expect to bring anything home with me. The past couple of years I believe I have been too focused on filling the freezer and have lost a bitnof the wonder and surprise that nature brings.

Today I was able to spend a half a day scouting a new (to me) public land area and was really moved by the beauty that is out there. I remember years ago when I would hunt a spot just because it was beautiful and I wanted to spend more time there. I'm thinking about doing at least a couple of sits like this next season just to help me remember how lucky I am to have the ability to explore some wild areas within driving distance of where I live.

gsquared23

Re: Forest Bathing

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:32 pm

A walk in the woods is always rejuvenating, I’m always in a better mood afterwards. I think fewer folks would need pharmacological support if they instead got regular doses of time outside. We are not meant to live through screens. The high rates of depression and anxiety show that pretty clearly.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:36 pm

Now that I’m retired I do this almost daily. I make it a point to spend at least 3-4 hours each day out in the wild. I’ve already scouted 40+ days which is already more days than I hunted last season. It’s amazing how in tune with nature you become when you’re out there every single day. You start to feel like your part of it and not just a temporary intruder. I’ve never felt more alive.

When my Golden Retriever needs his daily walking I can’t stand taking him around town where I live because I get real tired with the boring scenery and need some real outdoor stimulation. I always load him up in the truck and we head out to the marsh or woods and experience real scenery and wildlife. It’s the only way for me. I can tell he appreciates it just as much as I do and gives me yet another opportunity to scout for deer. He’s the best natural deer tracker I’ve ever seen and I get so much joy from following him. Amazing watching him work that nose and leads me right to beds. He’s teaching me a thing or two.

Nothing better than just sitting down for a bit and taking nature in. So much to see and learn. Reflecting on past hunts and other outdoor memories gets so much more important as you get older. When your young everything goes by in a blur. So easy to never enjoy the moment. It’s nice to slow down and pay attention to the little things. Can’t think of a better way to clear the mind and eliminate all stress. If everyone did that I have no doubt the world would be a better place. It’s sad to think of the number of people who don’t understand this nor will they ever get to experience it. I can’t imagine.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:18 pm

Dewey wrote:Now that I’m retired I do this almost daily. I make it a point to spend at least 3-4 hours each day out in the wild. I’ve already scouted 40+ days which is already more days than I hunted last season. It’s amazing how in tune with nature you become when you’re out there every single day. You start to feel like your part of it and not just a temporary intruder. I’ve never felt more alive.

When my Golden Retriever needs his daily walking I can’t stand taking him around town where I live because I get real tired with the boring scenery and need some real outdoor stimulation. I always load him up in the truck and we head out to the marsh or woods and experience real scenery and wildlife. It’s the only way for me. I can tell he appreciates it just as much as I do and gives me yet another opportunity to scout for deer. He’s the best natural deer tracker I’ve ever seen and I get so much joy from following him. Amazing watching him work that nose and leads me right to beds. He’s teaching me a thing or two.

Nothing better than just sitting down for a bit and taking nature in. So much to see and learn. Reflecting on past hunts and other outdoor memories gets so much more important as you get older. When your young everything goes by in a blur. So easy to never enjoy the moment. It’s nice to slow down and pay attention to the little things. Can’t think of a better way to clear the mind and eliminate all stress. If everyone did that I have no doubt the world would be a better place. It’s sad to think of the number of people who don’t understand this nor will they ever get to experience it. I can’t imagine.

Wow, that is awesome and something I long to do when I am in a different stage of life. Right now my family needs me around and my career necessitates living close to a city.

As I watch things get built up around me, it gets more and more difficult to continue living away from nature. I believe you are correct that nature gives it own antidepressants when you spend enough time out there.

I continue to feel that being outside in God's created world is actual living, while being in an urban/suburban culture is mostly pretending. Some predict that by 2050 80% of people will live in a city or surrounding suburb.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:36 am

Spend as much time outdoors as I can. Tough with a newborn but still finding time. Fishing, hunting, gardening, whatever I can. Take my dog for a daily walk at 4:30 before I leave for work. When it’s nice out pack up the dog and baby and walk down into town.

Best thing we ever did was buy our place up north. Even for being a large campground, still get plenty of quiet time to enjoy being outside without any disturbance.

Even the lab enjoys his time. Learned a new trick last summer. Kinda jealous actually.

IMG_4876.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:08 am

I would say my post season scouting trips are as much about “forest bathing” as they are about finding deer. A few weeks ago I went for an all day scout. In the middle of the day I laid down in the leaves and took a little cat nap for about 20 minutes. It doesn’t get much more peaceful than that.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:52 am

Wlog wrote:I would say my post season scouting trips are as much about “forest bathing” as they are about finding deer. A few weeks ago I went for an all day scout. In the middle of the day I laid down in the leaves and took a little cat nap for about 20 minutes. It doesn’t get much more peaceful than that.

Haha, that's awesome. I've done that in some select spots myself and wake up feeling amazing.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:39 am

I recall one time when I was in my early twenties. I went to end of a field and found some big rubs up next to a small ridge. I backed off about 100 yards and set up next to a tree. I was about hour and a half before dark. I sit there and went sleep with my legs crossed. I woke up to total darkness. No ideal what time it is it was just dark. My legs were crossed and were totally a sleep both of them. It took me about one hour to walk back to truck without a flashlight. I got to truck figured it out from little clock on Pioneer radio it had been dark for about two hours. I was well rested. Have no idea if a deer came through or not.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:37 am

You have a good and valid point HunterBob. Today I went shed hunting/scouting on some public. Didn't find any sheds, and the spot I hoped would be "overlooked" had a tree stand hanging there. But I made my way up this big hill to the highest point on the land and the view on the other side was amazing and made it all worth it. I never regret getting out in nature. Focusing solely on the end goal can sometimes make you take the best things about hunting for granted.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:28 am

Anything outdoors. I used to love golf and shooting 3D archery courses also. I work outside for my whole life and always thought if I had an office or factory job not out in the elements. My favorite time to be out is now. Shed hunting and scouting then go right into spring turkey then the bluegill spawn. Deer season is great but I’m more focused walking on egg shells. Long hours focused and less sleep. Pays off with a nice buck it’s worth it

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”