"Micro Hunting" High Pressure Public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: "Micro Hunting" High Pressure Public

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:19 am

After the first week of October (my challenge post) I have a number of micro spots I will be hitting.

One of them is a very long, relatively straight transition of swamp edge against highland. The micro spot is a mature tree that is much larger than other trees in the area and along that edge. The root system and dirt raise the base up a few inches compared to everything else. What appears to be non ending edge with no structure is anything but. Micro hunting can pay dividends along that edge.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:16 am

Singing Bridge wrote:After the first week of October (my challenge post) I have a number of micro spots I will be hitting.

One of them is a very long, relatively straight transition of swamp edge against highland. The micro spot is a mature tree that is much larger than other trees in the area and along that edge. The root system and dirt raise the base up a few inches compared to everything else. What appears to be non ending edge with no structure is anything but. Micro hunting can pay dividends along that edge.

So could you make out that larger tree on GE, just luck into it walking the transition, or notice sign that led you there?
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Huntrp

Unread postby Huntrp » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:50 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:CRP and green briar/plum thickets are a couple of my favorites - with little trees they often get overlooked because they are difficult to hunt.

Curious...Do you approach these areas the same way as hunting a swamp? Where in these thick spots would you be looking for bedding and setting up? Are you expecting the beds to be In/on Wooded Points that jutt into the briars/crp or in heavy covered points of briar/crp that jutt into wooded areas?
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:31 am

Huntrp wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:CRP and green briar/plum thickets are a couple of my favorites - with little trees they often get overlooked because they are difficult to hunt.

Curious...Do you approach these areas the same way as hunting a swamp? Where in these thick spots would you be looking for bedding and setting up? Are you expecting the beds to be In/on Wooded Points that jutt into the briars/crp or in heavy covered points of briar/crp that jutt into wooded areas?

The bucks typically bed on the edge or opening inside the mess. It is sometimes amazing how they get into them. As gun season progresses they tend to get deeper inside.
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:43 pm

Question to Bridge, Oldrank & others who have experience hunting this type of bed.

When you find these kind of Micro spots...
How many times do you get to confirm that it is a good 3.5 or older buck using this spot.
(either by killing,seeing him or tc pic of him)
would you say..
50% of the time?
80% of the time?
Hatchetman

Unread postby Hatchetman » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:46 pm

I guess I should narrow my previous question down a bit and say the spots close to human traffic not neccesarily a small swamp island hump.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:05 am

Hatchetman wrote:Question to Bridge, Oldrank & others who have experience hunting this type of bed.

When you find these kind of Micro spots...
How many times do you get to confirm that it is a good 3.5 or older buck using this spot.
(either by killing,seeing him or tc pic of him)
would you say..
50% of the time?
80% of the time?

I would say when I find these beds that are in some crazy tucked away spot, they are mature bucks almost every time. I don't run cams. I scout n hunt. What I find is these spots are almost so secure that they are near impossible to get a good set on. Take for instance the bed by the parking area next to the lake. Even if I get the perfect entrance, wind, thermal movement and setup...all it takes is one car to drive back there and that hunt is ruined. Guys hunt that spot almost everyday of the season. That buck lays n listens. Holds tight till dark n moves to feed after it's dark n calm for a long period of time. Because the area's I hunt are small almost everything I hunt is similar. There are no big marshes. That bed is next to a couple fields. If they are corn that bed will get used more. It's all relative to why he needs to use it.

I also see that they use the beds everywhere. I see the same bucks days apart on different ends of the public. A buck may have one or two beds that are his most secure. I believe he prefers them. Those are the ones I have had my best luck killing from. All of the other beds may get used also though. He may get bumped, be with a doe, be on a short food pattern, like a certain wind or whatever. He will use all of them when needed.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:32 am

As always... I don't guarantee any tactics or advice. It's just what works for me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:49 am

Hatchetman wrote:I guess I should narrow my previous question down a bit and say the spots close to human traffic not neccesarily a small swamp island hump.

Well, I obviously prefer to have some confirmation- a track, large average pellet size in droppings, a rub, a scrape... etc. probably 75% of the time. If I have history with the spot and know older bucks bed there and conditions line up right... I go ahead and hunt.

Hunting blind is my choice when it isn't optimal to hunt areas that I have history with or when I cannot confirm fresh sign away from the bed.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:50 pm

The point created by the intersection of roads is also a micro hunting hotspot especially when the roads have deep, water filled ditches along them. No one expects a buck to be bedded there with the wind to his back while he watches the intersection. The water and his vision protect his front... the wind and and noise in the thicket behind him protect his back... the lack of human scent near the bedding area puts mature bucks on it.

Scout a few spots where these ingredients are present... you will find buck bedding in one of them in high pressure areas

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”