Stand Approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Stand Approach

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:48 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Gotta hunt the pressure on public. Use the pressure to your advantage instead of setting up in a way other guys will screw you up.

That’s a great point.

My weak area is figuring out the best way to do it. Although I did it with success in a big woods setting a year ago, so I suppose that it was really patterning people instead of deer if I can’t get it done in the first week or so of the season opener.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:Gotta hunt the pressure on public. Use the pressure to your advantage instead of setting up in a way other guys will screw you up.

That’s a great point.

My weak area is figuring out the best way to do it. Although I did it with success in a big woods setting a year ago, so I suppose that it was really patterning people instead of deer if I can’t get it done in the first week or so of the season opener.

Dave, I remember reading about your close encounter with a nice buck last year up north. I think you underestimate your ability to pattern deer. That was an awesome hunt! In my experience, hunting the Wisconsin northwoods is pure hunting. Other than avoiding the very predictable baiters, there ain't much human pressure to avoid.

Understanding how human pressure changes a bucks daylight movements has been the single hardest thing for me to learn in deer hunting. I enjoy a breath of (non pressured) fresh air everytime I get to hunt the northwoods.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:52 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

That’s a great point.

Dave, I remember reading about your close encounter with a nice buck last year up north. I think you underestimate your ability to pattern deer. That was an awesome hunt! In my experience, hunting the Wisconsin northwoods is pure hunting. Other than avoiding the very predictable baiters, there ain't much human pressure to avoid.

Understanding how human pressure changes a bucks daylight movements has been the single hardest thing for me to learn in deer hunting. I enjoy a breath of (non pressured) fresh air everytime I get to hunt the northwoods.

Thanks KLEMZ. There was some pressure around the piece I hunted along what I guess would be called fire lanes (barely a two-track). But that's where the pressure was concentrated, so I did some triangulation and went to where I thought the Venn diagram of no pressure, likely food and security transitions intersected. I was lucky to get it right and the sign led me right into his core area. And he was moving around at like 2 PM, which caught me by surprise. So we'll have to see if I repeat something like that this season.

Good luck this year!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:50 am

My best example i’ve ever had of using pressure to kill deer was a gun hunting spot we still hunt.

It’s essentially a few thousand acres of public divided in two but connected by a small strip of woods about 40 yards wide by maybe a 1/2 mile long. This funnel is created by a wide river on one side and a dike/large cattail swamp on the other with the narrow strip of trees running between.

The side with all the access (3 separate parking lots) is East of where we hunt and is a large hardwood area of several hundred acres. Guys like to come in as the sun comes up and hunt in there.

The westernmost side of the property is accessible by crossing the river or you have to walk about 1.5 miles from those parking areas i mentioned. We access from the western most side and wade the river and then walk about a 1/4 mile or so to where this funnel starts.

When guys start to enter the Eastern side of the property they push the deer through this funnel as the deer flee to the more remote/harder to access western side. I’ve had as many as 20 deer pushed by me by 8 am on opening day of gun deer. I don’t recall ever not seeing deer while hunting this spot.

As far as bowhunting goes it’s much harder to find such a slam dunk scenario using pressure as bowhunter pressure is so much more subtle than the orange army. I feel like it entails more patterning of individual bowhunters accessing the same way or hunting bedding areas more often than they should thus displacing the buck that lives there. Leaving me to figure out where that new bedding spot is. Just much more nuanced and harder to do.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:59 am

blackwolf wrote:In big woods, stand approach often dictates where you can or can't hunt; very frustrating at times because there are good spots that just can't be approached the way the should to avoid detection. I have had best luck waiting until after daylight to walk into areas back in quite a ways and hunt mostly spots which can be approached correctly via wind and terrain.

This is something iv started doing as well. I have been busted too many times mid climb, 1hr before daylight, even during peak rut. At least entering in grey light I can see something ahead and still have a chance.

Killemquietly -- "What do you guys think of entering and exiting on different routes? "

Some spots this work out well, other spots can be difficult to do. I would definitely want to check out both routes to see what the vegetation is like. I dont think you can just do this on a whim in early season. I have hit some brick walls of thickness in the dark. Especially in farm land bc the timber edges and woodlots can be closterphobic at times, and ill walk thru anything. Also it may depend on what caliber of deer I am dealing with. Those big ones can make a guy second guess or feel like a complete noob lol

I think most people would be surprised with how much you can get away with. You can get very close to a bedded deer, even with minor mistakes. The final approach is critical! The key is slow and methodical. I am always thinking -- what if another hunter saw me accessing on my approach? He would probably laugh and wonder what the heck im doing lol.

Every year seems like a learning exp but alot of that is hunting new spots.

As Dan says, keeping the tree between you and the bedding is a critical component. I generally dont slide around the front unless its a very thick area, I do have my stand to the side just enough to see and shoot well. I am a mover and its hard for me to sit still so I like the tree as cover. I also stand most of the time anyways bc I expect the deer to show. I will usually turn it slightly so I see and can shoot on the correct side. If he comes from the wrong side for me to shoot, I still have the tree as cover and gives me a chance to spin.

Overhead noise is my best friend. Planes and helicopters are life savers for access. Thats when I pick up the pace. Another really good cover sound is corn on consistent wind days. The main thing that helps me is stopping and taking breaks. I also have to stop, take deep breathes and close my eyes for a few seconds to slow my heart rate. When the blood is pumping from the heat or long walk or worry of screwing up - thats when I make major mistakes w my steps. Another example for good noise cover is running water. I really like it after a rain when the creeks are flowing.

In general I do my best to not allow my scent into the bedding area. There are a few tricks in hill country to access up wind but you really need to be intimate w the wind in the general area. I also will access upwind in farm land but it will be a good distance away, maybe 200-300 yards. Alot can happen to your scent in that amount of distance. When its time to cross the wind path to the deer I pick up the pace or wait for the wind to die down. The best part about flat/open land is the consistent wind. Hard transition lines help tremendously with deferring the wind in a different direction. Cedar trees are my favorite bc the wind will definitely kick it around. I think late season it gets tougher to pull off. Another good way to access a tough spot is walking the access trails where they are used to people or expect them. I would prefer to do that in a more popular area or good deer density. I wouldnt really do that in a remote spot where they dont see people often.

I think my biggest fault is second guessing if I should go closer or back off. A few times I have went too far following hot sign and had to back track. Definitely not a good way to start the hunt! Once I get that "creepy" feeling - I have went too far.

I have seen them come in or cross my path anyways but obviously that is not part of the game plan. As long as I can still shoot my scent trail then ill at least have some confidence to still get a shot off. Sometimes I get lazy about long routes.. its usually when its mid season and its been a tough grind. Sometimes you just have to go for it and pray for some luck. Some spots are just too difficult and solid for the deer that I need to back off on the setup. I also am willing to bump or stack deer when it the access just isnt going to work.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:47 am

Highly pressured deer are a different animal... There is no room for error. I feel the same way about deer close to access or overlooked spot. They can be very spooky or stay put until dark if one thing is off.

I really like diving deep into public land bc the deer are just different. Idk why but I have gotten away with some crazy things over 1 mile in. Iv had 10 deer in one hunt cross down wind and not spook at all. I have bumped bucks and they just trot off like they are shocked to see me or not know what happened.

One major thing about access I pay attention to is wet ground or tall wet grass. After a rain the scent will be increased or linger and iv had deer completely blow up like iv never seen before. One time I had holes in my boots and I think that Doe left the county she was so upset lol. Definitely the time to break out the rubber boots!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:22 am

There are a few places to get close to bedding that is near impossible without going through tall grass. The deer are there because the access sucks. :lol:

Not sure how to deal with this other than dive in and understand that scent will get left behind and have a potentially negative impact.

Thoughts?
----------
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:37 am

greenhorndave wrote:There are a few places to get close to bedding that is near impossible without going through tall grass. The deer are there because the access sucks. :lol:

Not sure how to deal with this other than dive in and understand that scent will get left behind and have a potentially negative impact.

Thoughts?

Alot would depend on how close they are to the grass, the map and terrain.

Windy days would be essential. If I felt I could get thru the tall grass on a calm day and setup w/o them knowing, then I would get to the grass and take about 1min between each step. Use every natural noise possible to cover me and take another step. Maybe even leave the stand in the truck and ground hunt it. Plan for extra access time. The other option for me would be AM hunts only. Get in early and wait for pre rut / rut.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:40 am

<DK> wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:There are a few places to get close to bedding that is near impossible without going through tall grass. The deer are there because the access sucks. :lol:

Thoughts?

Windy days would be essential. If I felt I could get thru the tall grass on a calm day and setup w/o them knowing, then I would get to the grass and take about 1min between each step. Use every natural noise possible to cover me and take another step. Maybe even leave the stand in the truck and ground hunt it. Plan for extra access time. The other option for me would be AM hunts only. Get in early and wait for pre rut / rut.

Thanks. I think a ground hunt, pre-rut would be the ticket from my scouting. I'll lay off that piece for now.

I pretty much told myself that when I scouted it, just have to keep chill and not get too antsy.
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:38 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
<DK> wrote:

Thoughts?

Thanks. I think a ground hunt, pre-rut would be the ticket from my scouting. I'll lay off that piece for now.

I pretty much told myself that when I scouted it, just have to keep chill and not get too antsy.

Aaaaaaaand one of my target bucks showed on cam about an hour after close. So much for that theory. :lol: He was there and I might have had a crack at closing time if I went to my kill tree that I picked out.
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”