Illegal stands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: Illegal stands

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:04 am

Couple things….. I have zero problems with leaving stands hung where legal. In experience this is usually due to expansive woods and great public opportunity. When that’s not the case and let’s say the only public spots within 3 hours are all under 300 acres law breakers really throw a monkey wrench into the scenario. Personally I don’t have it in me to touch another mans stuff although I don’t frown upon it by those who got the balls. Now sitting back after reading this thread I think it would be a win to notify meth heads of potential scrap metal hanging.

Everyone has a opinion and I have mine. Has been my opinion that if someone breaks laws like leaving stands then u can bet they don’t have a problem breaking more serious ones. I realize I’m a hypocrite cause I occasionally slip/fall and break some small branches in the process. But in my head this is different than taking claim to an area.

Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:59 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Never understood people’s penchant for flagging tape set every 5 ft right from the parking lot either? You seriously cannot figure out where you are on a 200 acre plot of public when you barely stray 30 yards off the hiking trails????

That being said, i know of a nice flagging tape trail in SE WI that leads right from the parking lot to a guys illegal salt lick right next to a pine he obviously de limbed and goes up and down with a climber. Man that’s stealthy illegal baiting :doh:

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to send your local warden a gps coordinate and clean up the trash. :think:
Yoder

Unread postby Yoder » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:13 am

Wait until after the season is over, go back with a Sawzall and cut them down. Give them away to new hunters.
Rhlde80

Unread postby Rhlde80 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:28 am

Sometimes it pays to contact the warden. I talked to ours about this, he gave me his number and asked that I share illegal stand and cameras with him on Onx. He has gone out and collected several.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:03 am

I have a few spots where the neighboring private guys pit out ladder stands out. This year, 1st hunt for my daughter, we go into a spot, and after setting up, ladder stand 70yds away. On our way in, we got checked by a new to the area warden. Nice guy. So, emailed him, this private guy also has a lock on, another ladder , and a huge permanent stand on the public. Last year, he ran his four wheeler all along the creek bottom on public as well, showed up on the latest areals. Warden wanted stand locations and has already looked into the four wheeler stuff. Another spot, a private guy extended his property line a good 50’ beyond his property line. I reported that and it has been corrected. So, while it is a pain, sometimes good things come from reporting what you see.
KRONIIK
500 Club

Unread postby KRONIIK » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:55 am

mag1 wrote:I have a few spots where the neighboring private guys pit out ladder stands out. This year, 1st hunt for my daughter, we go into a spot, and after setting up, ladder stand 70yds away. On our way in, we got checked by a new to the area warden. Nice guy. So, emailed him, this private guy also has a lock on, another ladder , and a huge permanent stand on the public. Last year, he ran his four wheeler all along the creek bottom on public as well, showed up on the latest areals. Warden wanted stand locations and has already looked into the four wheeler stuff. Another spot, a private guy extended his property line a good 50’ beyond his property line. I reported that and it has been corrected. So, while it is a pain, sometimes good things come from reporting what you see.

In my opinion any landowner who moves his fenceline into Public should be charged with a felony, in most cases.
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:05 pm

KRONIIK wrote:
mag1 wrote:I have a few spots where the neighboring private guys pit out ladder stands out. This year, 1st hunt for my daughter, we go into a spot, and after setting up, ladder stand 70yds away. On our way in, we got checked by a new to the area warden. Nice guy. So, emailed him, this private guy also has a lock on, another ladder , and a huge permanent stand on the public. Last year, he ran his four wheeler all along the creek bottom on public as well, showed up on the latest areals. Warden wanted stand locations and has already looked into the four wheeler stuff. Another spot, a private guy extended his property line a good 50’ beyond his property line. I reported that and it has been corrected. So, while it is a pain, sometimes good things come from reporting what you see.

In my opinion any landowner who moves his fenceline into Public should be charged with a felony, in most cases.

Sounds good to me. He would even post it no trespassing. It took a couple years to get it resolved, but now the lawn is growing in nicely. Lol
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:02 am

I actually called the MI DNR office today and asked what they recommend I do upon finding stands left in the woods and unmarked. I asked, should I report coordinates of where the stand is, and they said no as they wouldn’t be able to find out who’s stand it is… so I asked what should I do, and they said if you find a unmarked stand, on public ground, it is fair game at that point and to take it home. They said a lot of stands have been inherited that way and that’s why they request you mark them.
So pretty much, take the law into your own hands. Direct responses from the MI DNR.
VTbigwoods802!

Unread postby VTbigwoods802! » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:40 am

Boogieman1 wrote:In my parts it’s illegal to leave a stand hanging on public ground. While this has never really screwed my hunting. When I find a permanent stand it has always ticked me off. Typically the same type of outdoorsman who leaves trash all in the surrounding area.Being that many seasons have come and gone in my life I’m just not gonna let it bother me anymore. That’s right! I’m turning over a new leaf. Starting this season I’m no longer gonna complain about these folks. Instead I’m gonna hang a cheap stand directly on top of theirs and see how they like it. I’m talking about not even giving them enough room to sit down. Using a chain, turnbuckle, and padlock! Kill em with kindness….

Where I’m from it’s legal and most people over the age of 50 permantly leave ladder stands for years… can’t expect older guys to hunt mobile or carry in tree stands I got probably 10 ladder stands out in random public spots for 67 year old dad.

I don’t understand why it would bother u
I walk by 100 permanent tree stands a year on public it’s never effected me killing deer and it’s great for kids and older people that want to hunt from a tree stand on public land
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:00 am

VTbigwoods802! wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:In my parts it’s illegal to leave a stand hanging on public ground. While this has never really screwed my hunting. When I find a permanent stand it has always ticked me off. Typically the same type of outdoorsman who leaves trash all in the surrounding area.Being that many seasons have come and gone in my life I’m just not gonna let it bother me anymore. That’s right! I’m turning over a new leaf. Starting this season I’m no longer gonna complain about these folks. Instead I’m gonna hang a cheap stand directly on top of theirs and see how they like it. I’m talking about not even giving them enough room to sit down. Using a chain, turnbuckle, and padlock! Kill em with kindness….

Where I’m from it’s legal and most people over the age of 50 permantly leave ladder stands for years… can’t expect older guys to hunt mobile or carry in tree stands I got probably 10 ladder stands out in random public spots for 67 year old dad.

I walk by 100 permanent tree stands a year on public it’s never effected me killing deer and it’s great for kids and older people that want to hunt from a tree stand on public land

So if you’re 50 you can’t haul a stand??? I’m 46 and been hauling stands in and out on WI public since the early 90s. I’m nowhere near quitting any time soon. Leaving stands is pure laziness, plain and simple. Seeing evidence of laziness like leaving stands, trash, etc reflects poorly on hunters in general that’s why guys care. Those that leave them tend to have a differing opinion obviously.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:08 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
VTbigwoods802! wrote:

So if you’re 50 you can’t haul a stand??? I’m 46 and been hauling stands in and out on WI public since the early 90s. I’m nowhere near quitting any time soon. Leaving stands is pure laziness, plain and simple. Seeing evidence of laziness like leaving stands, trash, etc reflects poorly on hunters in general that’s why guys care. Those that leave them tend to have a differing opinion obviously.

Exactly. Who wants to look at public lands full of stands wether legal or not? Nobody should be allowed to personally stake out areas of public land as their own. I actually like the rule where stands are illegal overnight, must be removed and the law is strictly enforced. Puts everyone on an even playing field.

When I’m too old to climb trees anymore I’ll be hunting on the ground. Know plenty of old guys that do and still highly successful. Allowing permanent stand sets for those over 50 is a very week argument. I’m gonna be 53 soon and would never agree with that one. Been hauling in and out my entire life. Keeps the heart young. ;)
Ranger12
500 Club

Unread postby Ranger12 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:01 am

Absolutely!
And follow the law. If required to ID them, then do so, as it’s the law! Drives me nuts. Sheer laziness is all it is..
VTbigwoods802!

Unread postby VTbigwoods802! » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:21 pm

Dewey wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
VTbigwoods802! wrote:

Exactly. Who wants to look at public lands full of stands wether legal or not? Nobody should be allowed to personally stake out areas of public land as their own. I actually like the rule where stands are illegal overnight, must be removed and the law is strictly enforced. Puts everyone on an even playing field.

When I’m too old to climb trees anymore I’ll be hunting on the ground. Know plenty of old guys that do and still highly successful. Allowing permanent stand sets for those over 50 is a very week argument. I’m gonna be 53 soon and would never agree with that one. Been hauling in and out my entire life. Keeps the heart young. ;)

I guess we share different opinions on that but to each is own I don’t see any issues with my 67 year old dad having ladder stands he likes to hunt on giant pieces of land that one or 2 hunters a year might walk by. I guess I could see a problem with it if I was hunting a 200 acre piece and there was 10 ladder stands but that’s not a reality where live
I can walk 10 miles and see no hunters on most pieces I hunt and walking by a ladder stand just doesn’t effect me the least bit
resolutetackle

Unread postby resolutetackle » Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:48 pm

I normally ignore and carry on with my business but found one a couple weeks ago that set me off!

I was getting near a spot that I had e-scouted and the sign was starting to look dynamite!

Sure enough, I look ahead and there’s a lock-on hanging. I get up to it to check it out and the guy has cut a 25yd long by 5 foot wide shooting lane. And the 14” diameter oak he’s in has multiple limbs 2” or bigger cut.

I took his lowest climbing stick off and laid it at base of tree. Then piled most of the branches he had cut on top.

Think he will catch the hint? Doubt it!

In a weird way I actually kind of like the lazy guys who leave their stands up because it alerts me to where they hunt and I can use that to my advantage.
Brian1986

Unread postby Brian1986 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:35 am

VTbigwoods802! wrote:
Dewey wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
VTbigwoods802! wrote:

I guess we share different opinions on that but to each is own I don’t see any issues with my 67 year old dad having ladder stands he likes to hunt on giant pieces of land that one or 2 hunters a year might walk by. I guess I could see a problem with it if I was hunting a 200 acre piece and there was 10 ladder stands but that’s not a reality where live
I can walk 10 miles and see no hunters on most pieces I hunt and walking by a ladder stand just doesn’t effect me the least bit

VTBigwoods, I do the same thing for my dad. He is also 67 and hasn't been able to safely set up a ladder stand on his own for a couple years now. It's legal here in Ohio to put stands on public for the season. We hunt big parcels of public land & I set around 3 stands for him every year. We don't run into many other hunters in the parking lot, much less the woods. The ones we do are usually the same guys from out of state who have been coming for years. Not only do they not mind him having stands out but nearly every one of them will volunteer intel to try and help him get on deer. Guess it's a different vibe where I hunt. Maybe the guys against us setting up stands for our 67 year old dads are against handicap parking spots too?

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”