Manitoba public lands

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mat-Ch-155

Manitoba public lands

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:23 am

Anybody ever hunted on public lands in Manitoba ?

It will be first time there and my first time on public land too. I choose the location because it’s the best I could find. I won’t have to cross borders and I feel I’ll get away from more pressured place like Ontario. Can’t hunt Sask or Alberta without an outfitter. Only downside for me is the 30 or so hours to get there. I’ll go with 2 other guys and one vehicle. We leave September 9th and come back the 18th. We are targeting the Interlake region. We’ll sleep at a motel.

I’m 39 and it’s about time I do this kind of trip for deer hunting (did fishing and moose hunting trips, my dad did diy caribou when it was still a thing). I was in my stand last November and I realized I will never grow up as a hunter if I keep scouting and hunting the same stuff. I was looking at property borders from my tree and I was telling myself I can’t go after any buck if they are not here. It hit me hard. I know nothing at all hahaha !

I obviously have questions, but I will read anything you guys have to share about Manitoba as I feel like a total noob.

My main question relate to scouting and bedding locations. I’m really impress by the number of transitions I see on the satellite imagery, it’s insane. The terrain is flat, but there is a lot of swamps, meadows and groves mixed with timber and ag land.

If these features that are usually attracting deer are so common, does the deer hang around them anyway ? Like do they still bed in transition, points, etc. ? Or they prefer somewhere else to bed since those terrain features are so common ?

Here is a few exemples…

14B1759B-E95E-4B53-9154-F105D660999C.png

FB4137B5-E91E-4F03-85BB-703B4BBC815C.png

67B99399-83FC-4E26-928B-46921B63DA92.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mat-Ch-155

Re: Manitoba public lands

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:03 am

It was a great trip. Stuff happened, like I got charged by a bear and we bumped into night rifle hunters. It was crazy. But I would go back anytime. I did not want to leave.

Nobody killed. But we were able to get on bucks. We benefited from local intel. The bucks were bedded along field edges of alfalfa fields. They also hung around cattle. The bush was less thick in those places. My dad saw the most bucks.
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:41 am

Im pretty sure in Manitoba you need a an outfitter/ guide to hunt.I’ve hunted in Ontario a few times close to the Manitoba border .
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:44 am

Awesome man I’m glad you had a great trip. Did you take a bunch of pics?
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
Mat-Ch-155

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:26 am

Yes about a hundred or so. I even filmed the bear that charged me a little before I realized he was coming for me hahahaha ! No bucks though…
Mat-Ch-155

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 am

Wall hanger wrote:Im pretty sure in Manitoba you need a an outfitter/ guide to hunt.I’ve hunted in Ontario a few times close to the Manitoba border .

If you’re a us citizen, absolutely, but I’m Canadian, so I did not need an outfitter.

Did you hunt around Dryden, Ontario ? We passed there and deer were feeding on peoples lawn !
Wall hanger

Unread postby Wall hanger » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:46 pm

Mat-Ch-155 wrote:
Wall hanger wrote:Im pretty sure in Manitoba you need a an outfitter/ guide to hunt.I’ve hunted in Ontario a few times close to the Manitoba border .

If you’re a us citizen, absolutely, but I’m Canadian, so I did not need an outfitter.

Did you hunt around Dryden, Ontario ? We passed there and deer were feeding on peoples lawn !

I was west of kenora. Definitely loaded with deer around the residential areas. Saw plenty of wolves last time I was there. Definitely would like to make it back there some day.
Mat-Ch-155

Unread postby Mat-Ch-155 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:17 am

Wall hanger wrote:
Mat-Ch-155 wrote:

I was west of kenora. Definitely loaded with deer around the residential areas. Saw plenty of wolves last time I was there. Definitely would like to make it back there some day.

I see. It’s not the same terrain and topo as where we were though. Manitoba, at least where we were, was very flat and the trees were small in height and diameter. Our stand set ups were 4-6 feet high. It was mainly poplars and sone type of bushy/small oaks. A lot of agriculture too. Where you were seemed more like boreal moose habitat with hills.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”