Dane county parks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mike_mc
500 Club

Dane county parks

Unread postby mike_mc » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Anybody ever get a permit to hunt the parks of Dane county? Thoughts on slob potential?
http://www.countyofdane.com/lwrd/parks/ ... nting.aspx

DevinJD2007
500 Club

Re: Dane county parks

Unread postby DevinJD2007 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 am

I have done it every year since it came out. Depends on what park you draw but there are defintely slobs running around in some of them seen it first hand. It definitely depends on which ones you put in for and get though I will say that some are not very good at all and some give out to many permits for an area. But all in all some great hunting! 8-)
Jonesy

Unread postby Jonesy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:25 am

I have hunted in the program in the past and had an encounter with a giant of a buck on one of the properties a few years back. Haven't drawn a permit the last two seasons but I will be applying again this year. Some of the properties have hiking trails and tend to receive more traffic than others. Just like most other hunting properties, there are a lot of factors that make some of the properties better than others. But yes, there for sure is some potential on some of the properties...after all, it is Dane county.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:12 am

Thanks Devin and Jonesy.
Bhuntin

Unread postby Bhuntin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I was lucky enough to draw a tag this year. I have been thinking about hunting it during the gun season with my bow. I was thinking the pressure from gun hunters should make for some good hunting in the parks and I'm guessing not many if any of the other people who drew a permit also would stick it out during the gun season.

What do you guys think? Any advice from those who have hunted in the program in the past?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:33 am

I blew a shot opportunity on a 140-150" 8pt back in 2007-08 in Walking Horse Cty Park in Mazo... 1st year it was open I believe. Then I shot a 2-3yr 125" 11pt out of park just West of Madison 2yr it was open... forget the name of that park. When they first opened the parks to hunting it was really good. I have not hunted since those 1st 2yrs
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:13 am

Bucky wrote:I blew a shot opportunity on a 140-150" 8pt back in 2007-08 in Walking Horse Cty Park in Mazo... 1st year it was open I believe. Then I shot a 2-3yr 125" 11pt out of park just West of Madison 2yr it was open... forget the name of that park. When they first opened the parks to hunting it was really good. I have not hunted since those 1st 2yrs

I'm guessing that was the Black Earth piece between Madison and Cross Plains. I believe that one went open public (no draw) last year. Most of Walking Iron is open public, no draw too.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:20 am

I had several encounters with mature bucks on Brigham. The Token Creek and Nine Springs E-way pieces hold giants every year.

The most difficult part of the park hunts is finding a place to hunt. It can be difficult to break away from a walking trail or the public in general.

I doubt I will participate in the program in the future. It was great when I worked in Middleton as it was convenient hunting option before and after work.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:59 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:
Bucky wrote:I blew a shot opportunity on a 140-150" 8pt back in 2007-08 in Walking Horse Cty Park in Mazo... 1st year it was open I believe. Then I shot a 2-3yr 125" 11pt out of park just West of Madison 2yr it was open... forget the name of that park. When they first opened the parks to hunting it was really good. I have not hunted since those 1st 2yrs

I'm guessing that was the Black Earth piece between Madison and Cross Plains. I believe that one went open public (no draw) last year. Most of Walking Iron is open public, no draw too.

It was Walking Iron not Horse :lol:
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Dane County in general has some really nice bucks, so I am guessing there is a better than average chance that these spots hold some nice deer. Have never drawn a tag for these though, but have scouted them. Definitely sign that there that makes me want to hunt them.
mike_mc
500 Club

Unread postby mike_mc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:14 am

The time to apply is now through August 21st.
fishlips
500 Club

Unread postby fishlips » Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:38 am

anyone draw a permit? I was not successful in the first draw. Properties I picked probably won't have leftovers for the second draw.
night_krawler

Unread postby night_krawler » Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:30 am

Whoohoo, after 4 years I finally drew a permit.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”