Stand Approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Re: Stand Approach

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:22 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:anybody ever see how they make a crop circle with a plank. you can do this out too a island in cattails and make an undetectable path. the first fifty yards in from hardwoods I don't disturb a thing then I plank walk to where I want to go and get in a tree that is in the cattails off the island. then I hang my socks on my entry point. sounds crazy but its been working.

This is a cool idea.

I’m also itching to do some marshbusting ala marshbuster this season.

it works good for morning entry just make sure you do it early in season and dont do it in a preferred direction that deer trails already go or eventually it will become another deer trail and could effect the pattern you found. i do it before the season in one place i hunt in overgrown grass fields i access from river buy canoe then walk back twords the bedding i want too hunt then setup so i can catch deer traveling back from ag too bedding. its a good way too keep from getting soaked when accessing in mornings and gets you around the deer in spots you normally cant hunt. its very helpful if you want too hunt a spot but know going strait in will burn it out fast. i use water a lot like this too ill stay out in bogs in swamps where deer normally dont travel or walk threw streams and drainage in mountains. animals cross water too hide there back trail why cant we. i killed a big mountain buck like this couple years back i had no way too get in in morning undetected because the buck was running the edge of a brook that needed to be used for access in a bowl i simply walked up the brook 20 yards from his trail too cover my ground scent. that morning the buck came right in the same way i did without a clue in the world. even if the drainage is dry any light rain storm will wash away all your scent.

just expect too get funny looks from people when you walk into the parking lot with hip boots on in the mountains or hills.

THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:42 am

ghoasthunter wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:anybody ever see how they make a crop circle with a plank. you can do this out too a island in cattails and make an undetectable path. the first fifty yards in from hardwoods I don't disturb a thing then I plank walk to where I want to go and get in a tree that is in the cattails off the island. then I hang my socks on my entry point. sounds crazy but its been working.

This is a cool idea.

I’m also itching to do some marshbusting ala marshbuster this season.

it works good for morning entry just make sure you do it early in season and dont do it in a preferred direction that deer trails already go or eventually it will become another deer trail and could effect the pattern you found. i do it before the season in one place i hunt in overgrown grass fields i access from river buy canoe then walk back twords the bedding i want too hunt then setup so i can catch deer traveling back from ag too bedding. its a good way too keep from getting soaked when accessing in mornings and gets you around the deer in spots you normally cant hunt. its very helpful if you want too hunt a spot but know going strait in will burn it out fast. i use water a lot like this too ill stay out in bogs in swamps where deer normally dont travel or walk threw streams and drainage in mountains. animals cross water too hide there back trail why cant we. i killed a big mountain buck like this couple years back i had no way too get in in morning undetected because the buck was running the edge of a brook that needed to be used for access in a bowl i simply walked up the brook 20 yards from his trail too cover my ground scent. that morning the buck came right in the same way i did without a clue in the world. even if the drainage is dry any light rain storm will wash away all your scent.

just expect too get funny looks from people when you walk into the parking lot with hip boots on in the mountains or hills.

I don’t exactly have much of a fashion sense, or should I say I could give two hoots, so that won’t bother me. :lol:

I’ve also been looking at a lot of properties that can only be accessed by water. Downside is that the private owner bordering these spots don’t have to do it, but it should keep a lot of the less motivated folks out.

I’ve also walked in streams before. I like steelhead fishing in rivers, so wading is just part of the drill. I actually like it.

Great stuff as always GH. Your insights are among the best on this site and I appreciate you sharing them.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:51 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:tons of great posts on here about stand approach and what a critical component of success it is. tomorrow i will be hunting the heavy pressure public, an overlooked but also somewhat remote spot. I was thinking about this, and how being in high pressure areas can alter my stand approach. The basics are obvious, wind direction versus the buck bedding areas, etc. but in high pressure areas my stand approach needs to be as invisible as possible. I will be dropped off, no one will be seeing my parked truck. When walking any woods roads or trails to get closer to my hunting area, I will not be leaving visible tracks anywhere. I will be walking in cover / leaves and strive to make sure there are no visible tracks from me... because of other hunters.

when i approach my stand, there will be no reflective tacks or ribbons- might as well put a sign up if i do. my point is that in these high pressure areas my stand approach will take into account other hunters just as importantly as it will my target buck(s). anyone else go to these protective measures?

Someone bumped this, so just chiming in. I go through those measures for sure. I can think of two public areas that I visited for the first time. I will scout them more for better bed intel in the coming weeks, but the areas I targeted cyber scouting that turned out to be right on. In each case my parking was nowhere near where I wanted to wind up so as not to tip people off. I did the breadcrumb thing in OnX and covered about 2 miles of nasty in those circuitous routes before getting to my intended area. Could they have tracked me from the snow on the ground? Sure, but access was far from easy in both cases.

Also, Singing Bridge, you mentioned starting a book of good posts. Great idea. I’ve only done that a bit, but neec to do it more. And you’re one of my main sources of info. I developed a potentially unhealthy obsession with a cedar/tamarack swamp (which was one of the areas I mentioned before) so your advice in those areas have been terrific. Thanks for contributing to my education. ;)

No problem, that's what we are all here for.

The top tactical threads are amazing and vast... what a site!

Copying and pasting the posts you relate to the most into your own little book is icing on the cake.
Ol'DominionBH

Unread postby Ol'DominionBH » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:26 am

Casper wrote:Great thread!!

Stand approach should be the most important thing to a hunt. You'll never see the buck you are after if you let him know you are coming before you even get to your tree.

A bump and dump is about the only tactic I would try over pure stealth for your stand approach.
Ol'DominionBH

Unread postby Ol'DominionBH » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:44 am

kenn1320 wrote:I agree with everything mentioned, but for years I was a rush to my stand as quick as I could kind of guy. If Im going out for an evening hunt, I try to be as stealth as I can, cause Im setting up close to bedding and know which direction they are headed for the evening. In the morning, Im not purposely making noise, but I try to get to my stands quickly as I want to beat that buck to the spot. After having more then one buck walk by as I was half way up a tree, or still hadnt pulled my bow up, I have come to realise you might think all the deer are out in the feeding fields 1hr before first light, but they arent. A stealth approach both morning and evening is critical. There are 2 schools of thought on morning hunts and each has its merrits. Getting there before the buck allows you to make some small noises and get away with them. If your in your stand and he comes in and beds down and your not detected, there is a good chance he will get back up a few hours after day light and make his rounds and you could get your chance. However if he smells you, or where you walked, the gig is up and if he makes it to his bed, he might stay put, or more likely will go to another bed that morning and avoid your area. It kinda gives some merrit to the waiting till light to sneak in, but then you risk does busting you, and or the buck you were after as he was late coming back that day. Id like to hear from both types, good and bad of each technique. Im a get in early guy, my brother is a wait till he can just see type. :lol:

Just apply these 2 different tactics to 2 different situations. The whole moon overhead/underfoot thing. On days when the moon OH/UF matches up with dawn /early morning hours, get in quicker and early before light. The deer might be out feeding more and will get back to their beds later (I've seen evidence of this on my cameras). On days when the moon OH/UF don't match up with early morning hours, go in slow and stealthy during the grey light.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:51 am

I used to go in deep far away from roads and man-made trails and would find all of this great sign, trails and whatnot, but when I hunted those areas, I didn't see squat. The problem was my access and the noise I would make moving through the woods no matter how slow and quiet I would try to be. Now I focus on the overlooked spots where access is much easier, especially along roads where the deer cross and have to funnel around an obstacle. Boat access, creeks & ditches and thick cover are okay options, but my first choice is finding overlooked spots close to roads and man-made trails. Windy and light rain days are great if I want to hit up one of my old spots deep in the woods. Otherwise, I'm sticking close to easy access areas.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
tundra

Unread postby tundra » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:23 am

I hunt a lot of drainage systems, so I access by water a lot,,,, otherwise, I only care about getting into my spot. since I never hunt the same spot twice, and I mean never, it does not matter how I get out, hopefully its because I got one down...... I use to spend more time slipping out, but as I got thru more years, I just get out, the easiest way, since I am not coming back, at least for not a while anyway....

The way I get in a stand is critical for me
rhagenw
Facebook: Rhagen Wiederholt

Unread postby rhagenw » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:19 am

Bump
Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:45 pm

dan wrote:One thing that I have noticed.. Being that I like to be set up before it starts to get light on morning hunts. I am generally in the tree before the "yahoo's" start entering the woods..
It never ceases to amaze me that I can here there truck door, foot steps, whispering, and see there lights. I generally know where all the other hunters are set up on a quiet morning within 500 yards. Well... If I can tell you where they are based on my senses, I would have to think a deer would be even better at knowing where each of these hunters is located...
I start out nice and early. Take my time, only flick my light enough not to get shot by poachers, I carefully place my footsteps to keep from making to much noise. etc...

How do you see in the dark? Do your eyes just adjust?
"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Jimmy wallhanger wrote:
dan wrote:One thing that I have noticed.. Being that I like to be set up before it starts to get light on morning hunts. I am generally in the tree before the "yahoo's" start entering the woods..
It never ceases to amaze me that I can here there truck door, foot steps, whispering, and see there lights. I generally know where all the other hunters are set up on a quiet morning within 500 yards. Well... If I can tell you where they are based on my senses, I would have to think a deer would be even better at knowing where each of these hunters is located...
I start out nice and early. Take my time, only flick my light enough not to get shot by poachers, I carefully place my footsteps to keep from making to much noise. etc...

How do you see in the dark? Do your eyes just adjust?

In pitch black you need a light. but if there is any moon light, or cloud cover reflecting light, a lot of the time your eyes will adjust just fine
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:04 am

How do you see in the dark? Do your eyes just adjust?[/quote]
In pitch black you need a light. but if there is any moon light, or cloud cover reflecting light, a lot of the time your eyes will adjust just fine[/quote]

Maybe its just me but I've had good success with using a green headlamp. I've walked right up on deer in places far from my stand and had them come looking for me while climbing a tree. Last year I tucked into some brush on the ground. Had my lamp on, clearing the ground and had a buck come sneaking in to five yards. We stared at one another for a few seconds, he backed out, did a loop, winded me and away he went. He didn't seem fazed by the light but sure did come unglued by the smell. Without the light, I'm a bumbling idiot.
Shoot Straight
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:15 am

Due to my disability I sound like a herd of elephant in pre dawn hours, nothing I tried helped so I try to keep my best spots for evening hunts where I can start trudging at 11 or so in the morning and get there in plenty of time. I hunt off the ground with a tree seat so I don't have excessive setup time or alot of motion when I get there. Im playing around with carrying a turkey call with me and trying to sound like a turkey being I've accepted im gonna make noise so im trying to roll with it. Im still perfecting sounding like a deer squirrel or turkey. Another thing im trying to play with is using two canes so it sounds like I have 4 legs. Im still trying to get the gait down pat. Since I started doing using noise im seeing more deer but they see my tremors before I can get a arrow in them. Im hoping to use my sled and shoulder strap this year, sooner or later one will slip up. Of course I pay attention to wind and try to find their beds which are usually like singing bridge said are thick areas with no trees. I am trying to use noise to get close to them but the closest I seem to get is about 125 yards.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Going to stand I have stealth figured out usually. And places that have fresh dry blanket of potato chip leaves get a pass until conditions improve for entry.

Leaving, I am like a fat guy hitting an all you can eat buffet. That's flashing a "Free" sign. Maybe the agony of sneaking in is still there and I am dying to get moving again.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Tue May 11, 2021 12:01 am

Dan, are there areas you wait till a weekday to try to access because of other hunters improper access will tip the deer off and he won't move till after dark? It seems to me on heavily pressured land other hunters will screw up your hunt with a sloppy access no matter how cautious you are especially if he is setup to watch a main access point.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:40 am

Gotta hunt the pressure on public. Use the pressure to your advantage instead of setting up in a way other guys will screw you up.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”