Stand Approach

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tuff4x4

Re: Stand Approach

Unread postby tuff4x4 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:57 pm

question for you ghoasthunter... What kind of boot you wearing for traction when going up those really steep hillsides? I have a couple of spot on almost vertical cliffs where I have found nice bedding but my boot traction is my limiting factor. I was thinking about using ropes to go up, even if other hunters did see my entry routes not sure they would venture up.

ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:49 am

tuff4x4 wrote:question for you ghoasthunter... What kind of boot you wearing for traction when going up those really steep hillsides? I have a couple of spot on almost vertical cliffs where I have found nice bedding but my boot traction is my limiting factor. I was thinking about using ropes to go up, even if other hunters did see my entry routes not sure they would venture up.

I wear non insulated Irish setter rutmaster 2.0 lites with heavy wool socks most time. I like boots that fit snug and flex around everything big heavy mountain boots are loud and clunky in my opinion. for colder weather I use nokien retiki boots I have two pairs one with ice studs put in lugs for snow russel outdoors in Canada is the only place you can get them they are made in Finland for fishing. both boots are very light weight
THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL A HUNTER HAS IS BETWEEN HIS SHOULDERS
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:03 am

tgreeno wrote:
HogFan07 wrote:One question about access is would it be better to take a ridge top (walking into the wind) and keeping quiet or attempt taking a better route through steep ditches/ravines where deer won't go but you can't help but make a lot of noise? I tried walking up the side of the ravine but it is still very hard not to make noise.

Sometimes it sucks...Most of the time the easiest & quietest routes are not the "best" routes. If that ridge top makes you visible to all the deer on both sides of it as you enter, I would say no. I think you would be better walking the military crest or thru the ravine. To keep your visibility to a minimum. If possible, clear a bit of a path. Even if you can't legally cut a path, you can clear it to make your walk stealthier.

deer bed on leeward side of ridges walk on windward side if possible then cut straight over just cuz your up wind in hill country doesn't mean they can smell you with all the swirling ridges. plus the deer will have their back to you I've shot lots of deer laying in bed peaking over top.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:59 am

I truly have difficulty being quiet while walking in, setting up, climbing, etc
And not using a light (if the moon is up this part
Is possible) is near impossible.
Walking 1-2 miles from the truck. Through chest high grass, oaks with 2 years of broken branches/leaves, briars so thick and sharp they trip and or cut you, swamp water, tripping on (submerged stumps), getting your boots unstuck in the mud and then once you get there, setup your climber, and somehow climb quietly????

As mentioned in a prior post, if you can hear a door slam 1/2 mile away, I'm thinking big boy is hearing me quiet well.

With that said, deer still seem to be killed in my area and I'm sure all of yours..

Sooo what's the secret???

Btw I'm new here, found this site from the YouTube and I like what I've seen and read so far and hope to contribute as best I can
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:41 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:I truly have difficulty being quiet while walking in, setting up, climbing, etc
Walking 1-2 miles from the truck. Through chest high grass, oaks with 2 years of broken branches/leaves, briars so thick and sharp they trip and or cut you, swamp water, tripping on (submerged stumps), getting your boots unstuck in the mud and then once you get there, setup your climber, and somehow climb quietly????

As mentioned in a prior post, if you can hear a door slam 1/2 mile away, I'm thinking big boy is hearing me quiet well.

With that said, deer still seem to be killed in my area and I'm sure all of yours..

Btw I'm new here, found this site from the YouTube and I like what I've seen and read so far and hope to contribute as best I can

Using a red or green lens light cuts way down on animals spooking from a light, but allows better vision while dark. So avoiding noise makers is easier.

Other than that just slowing way down for the last 100 or so yards. There are noises that occur during the night. As long as noises you make are similar to what animals are making. Things should be okay.

And welcome and enjoy using the Beast.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am

Sailfish_WC wrote:I truly have difficulty being quiet while walking in, setting up, climbing, etc

Sound like anything besides a ticked off 2-legged predator :lol:

Deer are smart. They know what is walking without looking at it. Sound like a human and they will think you are a human. Sound like an animal and they will think you are until they see you or wind you. Watch how other animals move in the woods and try to walk like they do. Watch other hunters and don't walk like them
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:12 am

If you only learn one thing about stand approach...Slow down and observe. Since I've been on here ,that's was one of my biggest problems. I would hurry to get to my tree and rush setting up to, "let the woods settle down". What I didn't know is I had probably already spooked out the buck I wanted shoot.

Take your time. Check out the tracks on all the crossing trails. Notice any new rubs or scrapes. Notice any boot tracks. Noticed any browsed off branches.

Have you ever seen a cat trying to catch a bird that's sitting on the ground. I try to enter my stand sites like that. Every hunt you're learning, and getting a little better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt
Mathewshooter

Unread postby Mathewshooter » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:21 am

tgreeno wrote:If you only learn one thing about stand approach...Slow down and observe. Since I've been on here ,that's was one of my biggest problems. I would hurry to get to my tree and rush setting up to, "let the woods settle down". What I didn't know is I had probably already spooked out the buck I wanted shoot.

Take your time. Check out the tracks on all the crossing trails. Notice any new rubs or scrapes. Notice any boot tracks. Noticed any browsed off branches.

Have you ever seen a cat trying to catch a bird that's sitting on the ground. I try to enter my stand sites like that. Every hunt you're learning, and getting a little better.

I used to do the same thing. Even when I thought I was going slow and being sneaky, I wasn't. Watching Dans youtube videos and also the Hunting Public guys I've realized how much more I have to slow down. I guess I never really thought about it much until I saw just how slow and quiet these guys go.
I take my Bowhunting seriously
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:01 am

Something to keep in mind as you scout for this fall. Your spot is only as good as your access to it.
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 am

Bump. Could use some more tactical discussion during the scouting season.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:02 am

Good bump
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:17 am

Slow way down, every step every movement slow them way down.

Develop a very detailed setup, what I mean is only bring the bare needed equipment and set up your packs and pockets so in pitch dark you know exactly where it's at.

I hunt public 100% of the time best thing I ever did, learned are applied too my hunt style is be the first into the woods and get setup long before daylight.

I also try too use water for my entry and exit, boat if need be or hip boots and walking the whole way to my set in the creek.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:38 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:tons of great posts on here about stand approach and what a critical component of success it is. tomorrow i will be hunting the heavy pressure public, an overlooked but also somewhat remote spot. I was thinking about this, and how being in high pressure areas can alter my stand approach. The basics are obvious, wind direction versus the buck bedding areas, etc. but in high pressure areas my stand approach needs to be as invisible as possible. I will be dropped off, no one will be seeing my parked truck. When walking any woods roads or trails to get closer to my hunting area, I will not be leaving visible tracks anywhere. I will be walking in cover / leaves and strive to make sure there are no visible tracks from me... because of other hunters.

when i approach my stand, there will be no reflective tacks or ribbons- might as well put a sign up if i do. my point is that in these high pressure areas my stand approach will take into account other hunters just as importantly as it will my target buck(s). anyone else go to these protective measures?

Someone bumped this, so just chiming in. I go through those measures for sure. I can think of two public areas that I visited for the first time. I will scout them more for better bed intel in the coming weeks, but the areas I targeted cyber scouting that turned out to be right on. In each case my parking was nowhere near where I wanted to wind up so as not to tip people off. I did the breadcrumb thing in OnX and covered about 2 miles of nasty in those circuitous routes before getting to my intended area. Could they have tracked me from the snow on the ground? Sure, but access was far from easy in both cases.

Also, Singing Bridge, you mentioned starting a book of good posts. Great idea. I’ve only done that a bit, but neec to do it more. And you’re one of my main sources of info. I developed a potentially unhealthy obsession with a cedar/tamarack swamp (which was one of the areas I mentioned before) so your advice in those areas have been terrific. Thanks for contributing to my education. ;)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:54 pm

ghoasthunter wrote:anybody ever see how they make a crop circle with a plank. you can do this out too a island in cattails and make an undetectable path. the first fifty yards in from hardwoods I don't disturb a thing then I plank walk to where I want to go and get in a tree that is in the cattails off the island. then I hang my socks on my entry point. sounds crazy but its been working.

This is a cool idea.

I’m also itching to do some marshbusting ala marshbuster this season.
----------
ghoasthunter
500 Club

Unread postby ghoasthunter » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:20 am

greenhorndave wrote:
ghoasthunter wrote:anybody ever see how they make a crop circle with a plank. you can do this out too a island in cattails and make an undetectable path. the first fifty yards in from hardwoods I don't disturb a thing then I plank walk to where I want to go and get in a tree that is in the cattails off the island. then I hang my socks on my entry point. sounds crazy but its been working.

This is a cool idea.

I’m also itching to do some marshbusting ala marshbuster this season.

it works good for morning entry just make sure you do it early in season and dont do it in a preferred direction that deer trails already go or eventually it will become another deer trail and could effect the pattern you found. i do it before the season in one place i hunt in overgrown grass fields i access from river buy canoe then walk back twords the bedding i want too hunt then setup so i can catch deer traveling back from ag too bedding. its a good way too keep from getting soaked when accessing in mornings and gets you around the deer in spots you normally cant hunt. its very helpful if you want too hunt a spot but know going strait in will burn it out fast. i use water a lot like this too ill stay out in bogs in swamps where deer normally dont travel or walk threw streams and drainage in mountains. animals cross water too hide there back trail why cant we. i killed a big mountain buck like this couple years back i had no way too get in in morning undetected because the buck was running the edge of a brook that needed to be used for access in a bowl i simply walked up the brook 20 yards from his trail too cover my ground scent. that morning the buck came right in the same way i did without a clue in the world. even if the drainage is dry any light rain storm will wash away all your scent.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”