Ohio public land

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

editingspace0

Ohio public land

Unread postby editingspace0 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:48 am

Has anyone hunted any of the following areas in Ohio?

Walborn Reservoir Hunting Zone
Deer Creek Hunting Zone
Berlin lake wildlife area
Auburn Marsh Wildlife area

I live in North Carolina but my wife is from Ohio. We will be going there mid October-November for her brother's wedding. I am going to take advantage of Ohio's free non-resident hunting license for active duty military and try to tag an Ohio buck. It'll be the first time hunting in Ohio and any of the above mentioned areas. I picked these because they are within an hour of my mother in laws house that I'll be staying. I'll have about a week and a half window to hunt.

I stay mobile and will bring my xop hang on and my bow. I have hip waders and swamps don't bother me much. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

I might should ad that I won't be able to scout (other than online) any of this in person before I hunt.

Mgaspari

Re: Ohio public land

Unread postby Mgaspari » Tue May 14, 2019 12:41 pm

Auburn Marsh receives a lot of pressure from private surrounding the WMA. It can be good if you get in the marsh areas, most people seem to be on the dry land surrounding the marsh. A lot of duck / goose hunters there
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:54 am

Thank you.

My plans have changed a little bit and I'm now going with a bud of mine to hunt for a week or so. I've read here on the beast that killbuck is highly pressured and not much deer sign. Was looking at that area along with funks bottom wildlife area. Both appeal to me because of the swamp/marsh/agriculture mixed terrain, however, I do not want it to be a waste of time.

Has anyone had any experience with woodbury and Tri-valley wildlife areas? These look good as far as acreage goes but I also think that because of the high kill numbers reported from OH DNR that these areas receive a lot of pressure.

Looking to hunt mid-late November time frame. I'll just be bringing my archery equipment with me. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:32 am

I have hunted both areas you mentioned

They DO get a ton of pressure ESPECIALLY the time frame you mentioned

However the thing I do like about those areas, there are some really thick areas that are void of hunters, and there are a ton of high walls.
I use those features to get on some good deer.

Coming from NC for a week, are you guys looking for a respectable buck, something better than typically seen around your local area or a true mature slob?

I ask because I have seen some really nice 130s in thise areas often (before Nov)
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:25 am

backstraps wrote:I have hunted both areas you mentioned

They DO get a ton of pressure ESPECIALLY the time frame you mentioned

However the thing I do like about those areas, there are some really thick areas that are void of hunters, and there are a ton of high walls.
I use those features to get on some good deer.

Coming from NC for a week, are you guys looking for a respectable buck, something better than typically seen around your local area or a true mature slob?

I ask because I have seen some really nice 130s in thise areas often (before Nov)

That's unfortunate but I sort of foreseen this anyways. It's Ohio during the start of the rut so I imagine no matter where we go there's going to be pressure.

When you mean high walls, are you referring to cliffs/drop-offs? Once he and I determine which areas we'd like to hunt, I'll start combing through topo's and whatnot and try to find them thick areas. It'll definitely be extremely different from what we're hunting in the sandhills of NC.

As far as goals, I think it's safe to say I just want a nice sized buck. I'm not going to shoot something that I can plink in my home state. A 130" would be nice and a personal goal met, but I'm happy with a 8 or better. I think the difference will be body size really. In NC the deer are big antlered but small bodied. It's a nice deer if it's weight is beyond 150.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:34 am

I think with your goals you are for sure looking into a high potential area.

However as long as you’re realistic with your goals and realize that Coshocton Co has a huge draw of hunters both residents and non resident

That being said there are thousands of acres to hunt and you can get away from others
If you are planning a hunt during any of the firearms season dates, then you are going to see hunters. Don't let that discourage you though. I have seen nice bucks, minutes after a drive pushed right passed me :lol:

The high walls are literally drop off cliffs (be careful before daylight :shock: ...another story hahaha). Those highwalls funnel deer awesome!

Hope you guys have a safe and enjoyable hunt
editingspace0

Unread postby editingspace0 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:50 am

haha I'll have to remember that. Thanks bud!

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”