What Northern big woods pressure looks like...

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Onemanwolphpack

What Northern big woods pressure looks like...

Unread postby Onemanwolphpack » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:34 am

This is from a trail cam picture taken on a neighboring property. This is the pressure the North woods deals with.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Re: What Northern big woods pressure looks like...

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:41 am

The predators hunting season never ends. That’s the tough part.
Ranger Matthews

Unread postby Ranger Matthews » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:19 am

Great picture!
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:12 am

whoa! What a picture. I found the rear half of a fawn in my yard last month.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

Looks about right but I think that could just as easily be a bear as well. They kill way more fawns than we know.
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:50 pm

I heard a stat from Qdma that like .4- to .6 fawns make it to their first hunting season. It seems insane since you see 2 and 3 fawn does constantly but I guess there are bear, wolves, cars, coyotes, cats, birds, natural diseases, etc.
Persistence is undefeated.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:44 pm

Wow. He offered a nice broadside/quartering to shot in that pic
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 am

Dewey wrote:Looks about right but I think that could just as easily be a bear as well. They kill way more fawns than we know.

And yet it takes 8 plus years to get a bear tag by us. :whistle:
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:06 am

Predators are such a hassle up here, its not even funny. Countless cam pics and encounters with wolves.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:07 am

A relative was working in the yard at his cabin one time, doe and fawn were nearby chomping on some grass. Wolf jumped out of the bushes and grabbed the fawn. Once the wolf saw him it took off and left the fawn so he went to inspect, snapped the fawns neck in a flash.
Onemanwolphpack

Unread postby Onemanwolphpack » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:52 pm

My question is, will bedding be similar when the hunting pressure isnt there but wolves are common? Does it push the bucks into the same sort of pattern as what dan talks about in heavily hunted areas?
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:16 am

I think bedding will be "similar" across all areas and all kinds of pressure, one universal truth is deer will try and bed with safety in mind. To them it doesn't matter if that is wolves, yotes, the occasional bear or hunters, they want to be able to smell, see or hear danger coming in advance. Even on land with little to no pressure I think instincts take over and the deer bed with safety in mind.
tundra@1

Unread postby tundra@1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:30 am

Here has been my experience with wolves.... the area I am hunting is the western UP, that is west of FR 16, from 2 to the Lake....

Wolves are for the most part, on the move, as the hunt for food, in this area keeps it that way. "Local control", has helped, but this is one smart animal...... So in a place like this, you need to know how to hunt deer with wolves. I learned a ton of stuff from a guy on the Mn/Canada border,,,,,,,,,,

When I see wolf sign in my area, one thing I learned, is that as the late afternoon, comes, the bucks, at least those that I am after, are already bedded down, as they know the wolves are up, for the early evening prowl. I have seen wolves right on a 8 pointers but, and wishing the deer would win, that race.......

The wolf is a stone cold killer, its a killing machine, that's what they do.... they remind me of sharks when I was in the pacific....

I see a lot of wolf sign, I have to move...... Wolves need solid mgt, but that will never happen in MI ,,, never

Wolves are so bad, that I spend most of my time in SW Wisconsin, and out in the Dakotas, but always hunt the UP once other tags are filled or of course the late season,,,,,, It is a shame, what they have done to the deer herd.......

With baiting so prevelant, it just creates a food plate for them
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am

Onemanwolphpack wrote:My question is, will bedding be similar when the hunting pressure isnt there but wolves are common? Does it push the bucks into the same sort of pattern as what dan talks about in heavily hunted areas?

Doesn't matter which predator is after them. They'll find the most secure bedding that keeps them out. Think water for an osbtacle. Then maybe elevations with long ranges of sight, in all directions.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Onemanwolphpack

Unread postby Onemanwolphpack » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:54 am

Doesn't matter which predator is after them. They'll find the most secure bedding that keeps them out. Think water for an osbtacle. Then maybe elevations with long ranges of sight, in all directions.[/quote]

That is the line of thinking I've followed. Its tough because I have "too many" bedding options, with nothing but woods and tamarack swamps for miles. I've found beds in all the spots I've learned to look for on the beast. Benches, islands, bowls, points, all of them. Just not a high enough deer density for all of them to be used.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”