Snow Hit - High Pressure Public

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Snow Hit - High Pressure Public

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:33 pm

Tent blinds aren't my favorite, especially on heavy pressure public land. Bucks with a couple of birthdays behind them, even when brushed in, recognize the blinds right away. There are some things you can do to really increase your odds...

During the rut, you may see bucks outside of secure buck bedding areas in your tent blind that really haven't passed through there before. The blinds need to be so heavily brushed in that other hunters don't recognize them if they walk by... let me repeat that- the blinds need to be so heavily brushed in with a good back drop that other hunters can't even recognize them.

It takes a lot of work. Did I mention I don't like tent blinds? Every year I put in one tent blind on heavy pressure public adjacent to buck bedding- I call this my "gimme blind" -this is heavy pressure public so doe bedding areas are a farce... the bucks with more than a couple of birthdays behind them would be killed long before they get there unless you are hunting the interior of deep, dark swamps. Heavy pressure overrides the rut and the bucks bed in secure locations... period. A 3 year old is a great buck in these types of areas, a 4 year old or older is a real accomplishment.

Now I'm going to take this a step further as only a Hunting Beast would do.

These tent blinds need to be put in place long before the rut- and they need to be completely left alone until the worst, coldest, snow's or sleet is gonna fall all day type weather. The older bucks know that 99 percent of the hunters will stay out of the public land. You make sure you are there long before daylight and enjoy the protection of the tent blind.

A blind that is so brushed in that other hunter's will never recognize it. covered by snow that matches the entire landscape, keeps even the oldest of bucks from recognizing it for a few seconds when he is out front... long enough for an alert hunter to end the game.

Northern hunters, this is a lethal tactic when you play it right.

Bridge

Uncle Lou

Re: Snow Hit - High Pressure Public

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

Great Post Bridge.
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:Tent blinds aren't my favorite, especially on heavy pressure public land. Bucks with a couple of birthdays behind them, even when brushed in, recognize the blinds right away. There are some things you can do to really increase your odds...

During the rut, you may see bucks outside of secure buck bedding areas in your tent blind that really haven't passed through there before. The blinds need to be so heavily brushed in that other hunters don't recognize them if they walk by... let me repeat that- the blinds need to be so heavily brushed in with a good back drop that other hunters can't even recognize them.

It takes a lot of work. Did I mention I don't like tent blinds? Every year I put in one tent blind on heavy pressure public adjacent to buck bedding- I call this my "gimme blind" -this is heavy pressure public so doe bedding areas are a farce... the bucks with more than a couple of birthdays behind them would be killed long before they get there unless you are hunting the interior of deep, dark swamps. Heavy pressure overrides the rut and the bucks bed in secure locations... period. A 3 year old is a great buck in these types of areas, a 4 year old or older is a real accomplishment.

Now I'm going to take this a step further as only a Hunting Beast would do.

These tent blinds need to be put in place long before the rut- and they need to be completely left alone until the worst, coldest, snow's or sleet is gonna fall all day type weather. The older bucks know that 99 percent of the hunters will stay out of the public land. You make sure you are there long before daylight and enjoy the protection of the tent blind.

A blind that is so brushed in that other hunter's will never recognize it. covered by snow that matches the entire landscape, keeps even the oldest of bucks from recognizing it for a few seconds when he is out front... long enough for an alert hunter to end the game.

Northern hunters, this is a lethal tactic when you play it right.

Bridge

One of the hardest parts is leaving the blind alone and having confidence it will work.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:41 am

*** note that all applicable local, state and federal rules apply for having a tent blind on public land.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

Singing Bridge wrote:*** note that all applicable local, state and federal rules apply for having a tent blind on public land.

That's the big problem with the southern 2/3's of Wisco. No blinds made of unnatural materials are allowed up overnight. On public. But you do have me thinking!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:09 am

stash59 wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:*** note that all applicable local, state and federal rules apply for having a tent blind on public land.

That's the big problem with the southern 2/3's of Wisco. No blinds made of unnatural materials are allowed up overnight. On public. But you do have me thinking!!!

yep, there are multiple ways to adjust to that regulation and make it work. You likely already have ideas.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 am

Tundra1 has detailed some of those things in the past if my foggy memory serves me correct. (his username might have just been tundra at that point)
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:24 am

I don't use the tent blinds much anymore and for us snow in rut would be a rarity. :D I have used them often when hunting with the kids along a field edge where putting a treestand simply wouldn't work. I always found that setting them way ahead of hunting was the best. I would also take the brush hog when the neighbor cut the hay and would put a notch into the briars where I wanted to put my blind. A 6' brush hog would give the perfect notch. This way the blind wouldn't stick out into the field at all.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:55 am

greenhorndave wrote:Tundra1 has detailed some of those things in the past if my foggy memory serves me correct. (his username might have just been tundra at that point)

Jeff Sturgis has a good video too...
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:58 am

cspot wrote:I don't use the tent blinds much anymore and for us snow in rut would be a rarity. :D I have used them often when hunting with the kids along a field edge where putting a treestand simply wouldn't work. I always found that setting them way ahead of hunting was the best. I would also take the brush hog when the neighbor cut the hay and would put a notch into the briars where I wanted to put my blind. A 6' brush hog would give the perfect notch. This way the blind wouldn't stick out into the field at all.

Those extra steps and your planning make a big difference.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:53 am

So what are the key components here...

The blind is put in long before the rut... brushed in so heavily you cannot see it... you have to leave it completely alone until the conditions present themselves... then strike hard when they do...

But wait, there's more. You can't just do this anywhere, you have to locate buck bedding that will be active in the rut in high pressure public land areas and there's nothing easy about that. When you have located buck bedding that qualifies you can be very confident that one or more of the bucks bedding there will present themselves before the day is over. After all, you have set up "Beast Style" and are immediately adjacent to buck bedding watching "that runway."

Whether you believe in moon phases pulling bucks farther out, cold fronts, whatever the case may be, the conditions mentioned for this set up are a high odds proposition. The big bucks know the game.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:57 am

Singing Bridge wrote:So what are the key components here...

The blind is put in long before the rut... brushed in so heavily you cannot see it... you have to leave it completely alone until the conditions present themselves... then strike hard when they do...

But wait, there's more. You can't just do this anywhere, you have to locate buck bedding that will be active in the rut in high pressure public land areas and there's nothing easy about that. When you have located buck bedding that qualifies you can be very confident that one or more of the bucks bedding there will present themselves before the day is over. After all, you have set up "Beast Style" and are immediately adjacent to buck bedding watching "that runway."

Whether you believe in moon phases pulling bucks farther out, cold fronts, whatever the case may be, the conditions mentioned for this set up are a high odds proposition. The big bucks know the game.

I would also add that on a cold windy rainy day there is nothing better than sitting inside a tent that keeps you out of the elements. :D
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:08 am

cspot wrote:
Singing Bridge wrote:So what are the key components here...

I would also add that on a cold windy rainy day there is nothing better than sitting inside a tent that keeps you out of the elements. :D

Big Time !! :lol: And you get to shoot a buck to boot!!
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:20 pm

Can you explain what you mean in the main post that doe bedding is a farce? The does are not bedding on the the public? Or they are all bedding in the same pressure areas?
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:53 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:

Can you explain what you mean in the main post that doe bedding is a farce? The does are not bedding on the the public? Or they are all bedding in the same pressure areas?

That was a strong statement... doe bedding areas are not a complete waste of time, young bucks will be there for sure and once in a while a mature buck slips up. Most of the time, outside of significant and dense cover, bucks are taken in high pressure areas when they move with or bed with does.

When there are lots of hunters all over the landscape, rut or no rut, the older bucks most often move to their most secure bedding areas... and there are only so many of them that will hold up to that level of hunting pressure.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”