Effect of bear hunters on public land?

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Powers86
Facebook: Chris Powers

Effect of bear hunters on public land?

Unread postby Powers86 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Here in WI bear season is already in full swing when deer season starts. How much effect do you think they have on the deer? Most is done with dogs chasing through the woods. The reason I ask is most deer hunters don't venture far from the roads and trails but the dogs have no boundless, so where do you figure the deer go to avoid them?

:shhh:
VaBowKill5

Re: Effect of bear hunters on public land?

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:53 pm

I live in Virginia and we have lots of bear hunting with hounds here as well. I run lots of cameras in the mountains here and from what I can see it’s no different than other intrusions. If I happen to get pictures of the bear and dogs then my pictures will decrease for a day or two but usually pick right back up. Just the same as coyotes or my own personal intrusion. I think where it permanently starts having an effect is when it happens continually but then I think the deer just move to where they aren’t being disturbed.
Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Unread postby Smitty » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:11 pm

I suppose every situation can be a little different but where I used to hunt I had bear dogs in front of my stand at 2:00 pm opening day, and was not impressed but actually ended up shooting a good buck at 3:00pm typically wasn’t getting camera pics before 5:00 so I thought the dogs actually got that deer on his feet and moving a little sooner than normal. But this one piece I like to hunt gets pounded with bear dogs and the deer seem to completely avoid it until they are done in the area then it becomes good deer hunting again.
Haste makes waste
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Yeah it can go either way. It can turn a boring sit into an intense one pretty quick with the dogs jumping deer as they’re running the bear. All in all though I don’t think it terribly hurts anything because it’s just something else the deer get accustomed to.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:00 am

I have seen areas where bear hunting is confined to smaller wma’s and it can spook the deer. In counties where there is lots of public or national forest it’s not as bad. It really messes things up when they run dogs during spring gobbler season. It usually doesn’t spook the deer too bad or for too long.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”