Darn beasts

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brkissl82
500 Club

Darn beasts

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm happy for dan and the rise in popularity of this site but man I'm seein more and more guys in spots I never used to see people!

Challenger
Facebook: No Drama Here

Re: Darn beasts

Unread postby Challenger » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:59 am

Thank Hunt Wisconsin app and Onx for that. The ground I hunt use to have hardly any pressure now it's getting hit harder and harder.
Last edited by Challenger on Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 E35
1973 Challenger
Public Land Hunter
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:00 am

brkissl82 wrote:I'm happy for dan and the rise in popularity of this site but man I'm seein more and more guys in spots I never used to see people!

Same here, plus with our bait ban it has made guys start thinking. I've seen more guys with sticks n stand this year than I have all my years added up. I look at it like this. It's still not easy and knowing the heart of most "hunters" I know, they won't have what it takes. It will be a passing fad on public. Although it's the right way to hunt it takes a tremendous amount of hard work and dedication. I also have 20 years of experience doing this public land stuff. I can adjust quickly if I have to.

Another positive is hopefully guys get away from claiming spots with ladder stands they leave up all year. I'm getting so sick of finding them every where. A large percentage are just abandoned death traps.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am

Challenger wrote:Thank Hunt Wisconsin app and Onx for that. The ground I hunt use to have hardly any pressure now it's getting hit harder and harder.

The use of mapping tools has definatley added to pressure. It's a great tool but now everyone is reading seein these spots
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:24 am

With all of the public land hype going on I expected it to be bad with pressure this season. Some spots are getting hammered, but I’ve still been on good deer in the overlooked spots. Like OR mentioned, years of experience on public will put you on bucks in the right spots at the right time, while the newer public guys are hunting the traditional spots. This stuff takes time to figure out, and there’s a lot more to it than just going into the woods with a portable stand and sticks.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:55 am

brkissl82 wrote:I'm happy for dan and the rise in popularity of this site but man I'm seein more and more guys in spots I never used to see people!

Funny I see less and less hunters in the woods every year, however the trade off is wolves and not many deer so pick your poison.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:12 am

I wonder how long guys will stick with it seeing more vehicles and hunters than deer. I was already hunting a popular area seemed even more popular this season. Hunted a few days a couple hours further away from the metropolis and I saw more deer. My public land plans may change for next year but I will have to travel more
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:53 am

Ain’t no hunters out there. Just a bunch of dudes in camo.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Randyflash

Unread postby Randyflash » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:22 am

There may be more guys hunting beast style than before but hunter numbers are still down overall... the bottom line is if you scout enough you’ll always have a spot to bump to when you see pressure. The guy with the most good spots will still be able to consistently find low pressure and more mature deer.

Don’t get discouraged, use it as motivation to out work them in the off season.
brkissl82
500 Club

Unread postby brkissl82 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:59 am

So let me ask u guys this. If u see a guy in "your" spot do u just forget about that spot or still give it a try?
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:04 am

brkissl82 wrote:So let me ask u guys this. If u see a guy in "your" spot do u just forget about that spot or still give it a try?

If I know a good buck is in the area, I figure out how he is hunting it and take advantage of any weakness in his game.
lyndon57

Unread postby lyndon57 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:43 am

I was on a 40+ acre public piece 11/3/19 in southern wisconsin.
Zero hunters on the 1st weekend of Nov.
Easy access, place is tore up with deer sign.

Four sundays in a row, I have been on public land, have yet to see a hunter
or a vehicle parked in lot/or along road.

Never assume the public piece is overun with hunters due to
ease of access or small acreage.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:12 am

Most guys are still lazy. That won’t change.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:22 am

They keep saying hunter numbers are going down. Yet I'm seeing more people then I ever have.

I agree I have several spots people have found.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:56 am

I think in states with limited public it impacts more. Folks hunting in states with abundant public lands, or limited non-resident hunting, probably don't feel it as much. The biggest impacts I have seen is all the gun hunters that are now traipsing through the woods during archery season carrying crossbows - bow seasons are getting heavier pressure overall in states where crossbows have been legalized. I see less and less compounds and more crossbows these days. On the other hand, trad archery seems to also be growing but not anything like crossbows. I agree with the statement above, a large # of hunters are just lazy - they might put in the work for a few days but they fizzle out pretty quick.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”