Mature Public Land Bucks

This forum section is for the select few who believe in hard work and refuse to “Buy” success.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mgaspari

Mature Public Land Bucks

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sun May 17, 2020 7:37 am

Question for the experienced crowd here, how often do mature bucks change bedding areas due to change of yearly crop rotations?
To give some context to my question, 2019 I decided I was going after a certain buck - it was him or tag soup. 2018 I had him and 5-6 young bucks that would primarily bed on a point. The area around this point was tore up and the closest ag field was beans about 3/4 mile away. In 2019 when I went in to check cameras that I had in the area I noticed that there we no new rubs and a general lack of sign. On the cameras I had some does and this mature buck. I scouted around and found the younger bucks and most of the does had moved closer to or in the ag field - now corn.
In your experience do mature bucks tend to change bedding on crop rotations?

Mgaspari

Re: Mature Public Land Bucks

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sun May 17, 2020 7:39 am

Should add this is public, high pressure hill country with some crop fields on surrounding private.
Marshbuster89
Facebook: Jordan Kurkowski

Unread postby Marshbuster89 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:04 pm

They definitely will. They put themselves in the absolute best spot they can be in to get from point A (bedding) to point B (food) with the most protection.
How bad do you want it?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:33 pm

Young bucks move more... Older bucks have only a select few bedding areas they are willing to use. Some bedding areas you see bucks all the time, or heavy when certain food or does are around, but rarely see mature bucks... Safety 1st... With that said though, not every area, or every situation is the same. I have seen giant bucks bed the same spot over and over for a couple years, and I have bucks that you can never seem to pin point all there bedding areas... I suppose terrain, and amount of secure unmolested bedding, along with hunting pressure have a lot to do with it. But over all, mature bucks seem a lot harder to bump out of a bedding area than younger bucks and once you locate and understand mature buck bedding, to me it seems easier to kill mature bucks than younger ones.
eazyduzit94

Unread postby eazyduzit94 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 6:02 pm

I believe they will move if they feel safe in a bedding area that's closer. Keep in mind this is Iowa I'm talking, about but I have several areas that every few years the farmer will rotate a mostly otherwise corn/hay dominate section into a few smaller bean fields. These small fields in my area are more often than not close to cover and that's when I see a higher concentration of mature bucks and does in the area throughout the season. If the new rotated in crop is close to the cover, I have observed a couple of the mature bucks feel safe enough to come into the field before last light. They only seem do so on certain conditions I feel like. Usually the does have to be out in the field first and the buck will usually observe the field from cover until last light before stepping out in an alternate location(more often than not a low spot) from where the others came out. Most of the bucks however, arrive under the cover of darkness. I would assume this is because they are using their same yearly beds and travel a ways to get there. I've observed this by trail cam and by driving around at night. The large fields in the wide open I for sure only see bucks in under the cover of darkness. I should also probably add that I see this activity peak when the beans are green (so just before season opens here) and in the late season. Otherwise these spots seem to go dead in between. They switch to different food sources (corn here- which is everywhere for miles) using their same beds and go back to not traveling far.
If shooting 130's was a sport, I'd have a gold medal.

• Advertisement

Return to “Public Land Hunting”